ASUS EAH4890 1GB @ [H]

Brent_Justice

ASUS EAH4890 1GB - AMD's new Radeon HD 4890 launches today and we've got it covered with a good [H] look at the ASUS EAH4890. We've got a great evaluation for you guys today, comparisons with the GTX 280, HD 4870 1GB and the new GeForce GTX 275. You guys won’t be disappointed, 1GHz GPU possible?

The Radeon HD 4890 GPU on the ASUS EAH4890 is a truly competitive product. As an update to the Radeon HD 4870 1GB, it more than meets our expectations. As a product to full a massive price gap that has existed for months in the high performance video card market, it is a formidable contender.

Thanks for the Real world testing review, Kyle, Mark and Brent. You guys should see the bullshit some other sites are posting as reviews.

Damn...those results are looking mighty good. Looking forward to grabbing two HD 4890OCs for crossfire.

Once again thanks for the great review.

/ Crossfire 4890s review any time soon?

Great review guys!

Have you guys tried playing GTA 4 with the 4890?

Great review guys!

Have you guys tried playing GTA 4 with the 4890?

I would expect no improvements in that game, we barely see any with a 4870 X2 vs. 4870 in that game. It is bound by something other than GPU performance. In fact, it relies more heavily on framebuffer capacity than any other game i've seen.

Looks like it pretty much fixed all of the 4870's flaws while being fast.

Hell of card, good job ATI, nice to see that you really are back in the game ;)

Nice review. I really like the real world. Wish everyone did this. Is there any chance of starting to use COD WaW?

Nice review. I really like the real world. Wish everyone did this. Is there any chance of starting to use COD WaW?

We cut CoD5 from this evaluation due to a time constraint, and the fact that the game doesn't tell us anything interesting or unique about the performance of these video cards.

Very nice card, very good review, that actually shows more then a bland set of graphs that might not actually mean much.

Good review and amazing card!

Question: was this stock fan still loud like the 4870 series?

Good review and amazing card!

Question: was this stock fan still loud like the 4870 series?

Thanks, and yes. I never heard it go to 100% unless I set it there manually, so in practice it was not that loud. However, if you tweak your fan speeds, it will be just as loud as the 4870.

We do know that AMD has told us you will be able to find Radeon HD 4890’s online at Newegg for $229 today and that the price will not fluctuate

Bah wheres that $229 price tag, im seeing the lowest as $249 though none of them have any rebates listed either.

When can we expect a full GTX 275 review?

Did I mention that it was a great review, keep em' coming

Bah wheres that $229 price tag, im seeing the lowest as $249 though none of them have any rebates listed either.

When can we expect a full GTX 275 review?

Did I mention that it was a great review, keep em' coming

Agreed, we have a pending inquiry regarding the price quoted to us by AMD. That price is most likely with MIR, and they aren't there yet it seems.

GTX 275 Eval in a few weeks, waiting on retail card and availability.

Not TOO much of a difference between the 4870, and I'm happy with that as I just bought one. Doesn't matter, my monitor is only a 20" 1680x1050, not like I would see a big difference.

Still, it's a hell of a card for that price. Where's the Digg button?

Woot. Love the OC results. ATi has really gotten it together this generation. Can't really say that for the competition though :p. Can't wait to see CF results.

We cut CoD5 from this evaluation due to a time constraint, and the fact that the game doesn't tell us anything interesting or unique about the performance of these video cards.

Make sense. Where did the 275 numbers come from? I'm a little confused since the article makes it sound like you had one, just not enough time to write up an article. Though Brent just said that your waiting on a retail piece.:confused:

Make sense. Where did the 275 numbers come from? I'm a little confused since the article makes it sound like you had one, just not enough time to write up an article. Though Brent just said that your waiting on a retail piece.:confused:

I have a GTX 275, but it is a reference card (sans stickers) directly from NVIDIA, not a retail kit. We don't like to do full pieces on reference cards. We prefer video cards that you can actually buy.

We have a reference GeForce GTX 275 provided by NVIDIA that we used in this evaluation, it fully represents retail video cards. We just prefer to evaluate retail video cards, and actual availability of the GTX 275 is going to be a few days. We have an OCX GTX 275 model planned for evaluation.

An absolute joy to read. I was worried the bang/buck era was coming to an end but you have proved that to be completely False!

This isn't me being an ATI fan boy, but there's an article on Tomshardware for this too, and they didn't even bother to overclock the card! Look, as the guys here at [H] pointed out, this card was MEANT to be OC'd. At stock speeds it's great; OC'd, even better. This isn't like last summer when ATI supprised us all (including nVidia), but it's a great product fit into a price point gap.

Great review guys! As always very thorough. I don't know why I even bother reading other reviews...I guess it's just to remind myself [H]ow good you guys really are! :)

This isn't me being an ATI fan boy, but there's an article on Tomshardware for this too, and they didn't even bother to overclock the card! Look, as the guys here at [H] pointed out, this card was MEANT to be OC'd. At stock speeds it's great; OC'd, even better. This isn't like last summer when ATI supprised us all (including nVidia), but it's a great product fit into a price point gap.

Great review guys! As always very thorough. I don't know why I even bother reading other reviews...I guess it's just to remind myself [H]ow good you guys really are! :)

How can you not overclock it, I mean it's just common sense with this card. I said it from the start when we were learning about this card, it is the overclocking ability here that is going to sell this video card. Enthusiasts will eat that up, I expect exotic cooling, voltage tweaking and insane 1GHz+ clock frequencies.

Yeah, well, THG sucks even worse than we do. ;)

Solid review HardOCP, glad the overclocked settings were thrown in there as this card is supposed to really come in to its own at the 1ghz mark making it a much more competitive/attractive purchase. AND it does all of this while not suffering from the dreaded and unfortunately very common coil whine/squeal/buzzing/hissing that plauge nvidia gtx 2xx cards (and earlier models).

I had a few GTX 285s (one at a time and different brands) and I really liked the performance of them...but they all suffered from squealing and I found it absolutely ridiculous such problems exist.

Anyhow, this looks like my next upgrade; albeit not much of one for me...but a nice evolution nonetheless.

"The very slim 15MHz increase in the GPU is not likely to offer much improvement"

But it will get you from NOT-1GHz and ONE OMGWTFWIN GHz.

Holy shit ATi, Comparable to a 28* series GFX card and uses less energy....AT STOCK! OC that mofo to use up the same amount of power as what Nvidia is pumping out and see ATi pull ahead by a considerable margin.

The best part of it all is that the 4870 1GB will be firmly at 199 or under now too, meaning that we're going to get incredible value either way you look at it

Who woulda thought that just 2 years removed from the 8800 GTX at $500, we can get so much more performance at normal pricing of $200?

Edit: Also, can't wait to see what volt modders and water cooling can do. Im thinking 1100 MHz on just water cooling.... with LN2 or whatever, benchers can probably hit 1400+ :eek:

Sorry but the card doesn't look all that great, until final prices are released here, I might have to rethink in getting on of those or the new upcoming nvidia gtx series.

I'm glad I waited on the 4850x2. If I would of bought it when I wanted to it would of just sat here for 2 months and I'd of been pissed when these came out.

AMD is really making some small strides to becoming competitive again. It seems like they are ironing out an issue per product release their stuff keeps getting better and better. We got the original Phenoms in B3 to get rid of the TLB Erata, then we got higherclocks with the 9950/SB750, and than we got the Phenom 2. We got R600 to RV670 than we had the 3870x2, than the 4870 and now the 4890. Each version improved.

They seem to be making better products in every release and I think that's awesome even if they can't compete with i7 at this time.

Great review I love the fact you can see both highest playable and appless to apples comparision in it at serious resolutions we use everyday :)

guess its time to grab one now :D

oh no, I mean two or three now.... :p

When doing power consumption tests with Furmark you need to rename the Furmark.exe on ATI products because the drivers detect it and automatically degrade performance.

Awesome review! It really seems like a great card. After reading your review it really left me with a good and positive feeling about this card. I was especially impressed at the gameplay improvements those overclocks gave.

I'm also looking forward to your evaluation of the GTX 275 in the future.

can you do a comparison of a 4890 to a 4870 clock for clock? I would like to see the difference the core reversion had on the 4890.

can you do a comparison of a 4890 to a 4870 clock for clock? I would like to see the difference the core reversion had on the 4890.

That would be interesting. Though I wonder if it would be enough to warrant the time/effort that would go into that.

Yes I'm a but dissappointed of the lack of FTA4 int he review. In addition you guys never did the review with the 2GB 4850x2 and only did the crappy 1GB version. I am suprised that we don;t see more videocards with 2GB RAM or dual cards with 4GB of RAM. Especially since some games like GTA4 are video memory hungry and it helps out with playing games at higher resolution. GTA4 may not be new or innovative as far as modern PC games go... But its one of the msot fun games I have ever had the pleasure of playing.

GTA4 is probably too focused on CPU performance to bring any interesting results out for a benchmark, and as you say it might serve better as a video memory test. It's the most fun game I'm still playing from 2008, best purchase ever.

And I am honestly surprised in the 4890 performance, I expected.. not something that came that close to the 280 in all but Far Cry 2 which is a real deeply routed TWIMTBP title anyway.

ATI's making the wait for DX11 cards difficult, I pray to the powers that be that they keep up the awesome work with the 5800 series as well.

edit:
Looking at other websites, jeeze.. I gotta applaud your decision to wait for a retail 275. Bring out the truth boys.

Back