Asus EEE 1000 - Dual boot?

MrGuvernment

Fully [H]
So has anyone successfully dual booted their Asus 1000 series netbook?

i am curious to try it, but i recall reading soem time back that getting ubuntu on one that comes with XP is a real pain in the arse?

I have WIndows 7 on mine right now, but want to install Ubuntu for general usage, and then windows when i need work stuff..

Okay so is great Asus gives you a DVD to restore XP.. but..um... there is no drive on the laptop and well, if you use a USB drive, doesnt XP reset the USB, so it wont work anyways?

It can be done. I've seen it done. If you have an external drive, what i'd do is format the hard drive, install ubuntu on 1/2, or w/e amount you want, and then install 7 on the other side of the partition. Then use GRUB as the bootloader. That's what i'll do with mine when i get it

I setup the 1000HE I purchased a couple of weeks ago to dual boot. Works like a charm. The system came with the 160gb drive with two partitions (I thinkt he second one is for recovery or something or other). Anyways I put eee-ubuntu on the second partition and everything seems to work fine and dandy.

I was able to install remix from a usb drive but for eee-ubuntu I ended up using a borrowed external dvd (long story).
--
In any event I did not have to reinstall xp for this to work.

I have my 1000H running XP and W7 in dual boot. The computer already has two partitions, so it should be pretty easy. The only problem is that on some installs of W7 (may only apply to dual boot with Vista) is that the boot loader will hide the other, older OS. I didn't have this problem when installing on the EEE (using a mounted iso) and on another XP lappy I have. I think it only applies to dual booting with Vista.

Thing is i have Windows 7 on my system now, it came with 2 partitions and i cleared them to make one large one as i had no use for 2 :)

May have to redo it with, make the 2nd parition for Ubuntu and try from there.

Back