ASUS Eee Pad Transformer coming Tuesday 4/26

airrphoto

n00b
Where is it available, checked with Best Buy and got a rude and condescending answer from the dumb saleswomen and no help from the manager even with their Sku number that I brought with me. Looks like Best Buy is listed along with microcenter (best computer store but too far from me), Fry’s, Office Depot (may be my only choice since it’s within 3 miles from where I live) and Office Max, etc.
This is the pad to buy since it has a hot IPS screen, fast dual-core processor, good looks (compared to the Xoom) and doesn’t require using iTunes or a lot of expensive adapters in order to get your pictures or videos onto the device. Oh, I didn’t say it cost $399 for the 16Gb version which is a lot cheaper than its competitors expect the cheapo Viewsonic junk!

Here is the Asus Eee Pad Transformer webpage and facebook location:
http://www.asus.com/Eee/Eee_Pad/Eee_Pad_Transformer_TF101/
http://www.facebook.com/ASUSEee

Thanks for reading my commentary...Darryl

i'll likely get one in the first couple weeks after release assuming availability is good. best buy will carry it, they were one of the first to leak the $399 price on their website a couple weeks ago. not sure if it will be carried by the PC department or Mobile so check w/ both.

edit, btw, i read somewhere that some places were going to offer a bundle of the tablet and the keyboard at a discount if you got both. that will be interesting to look out for.

Yep, too bad none of the websites have these up for pre-order yet. This looks like the best tablet on the market so far, especially with the keyboard.

Has there been any word if the wifi only version will ever be upgradeable to 3g when that version is released? (assuming it is)

Has there been any word if the wifi only version will ever be upgradeable to 3g when that version is released? (assuming it is)

there would have to be a separate 3g dongle or something. afaik it doesn't have an internal 3g radio.

$399 is the 'announced' price, + $149 for the keyboard/trackpad/battery. It may be somewhat higher at some retailers, but that is the expected retail pricing structure.

Can you fold one onto the other? I haven't seen it anywhere so I'm not sure about that. Also, no USB ports on the tablet? I would love to get one as my carry-on with a mini mech keyboard to write on it...I just don't see what use I woul have for the docking part, seriously.

The Transformer attaches to the keyboard/trackpad/battery dock, and then the whole "device" closes like a traditional laptop, yes.

The Transformer itself has a microSD slot for expansion (storage), and that's it aside from the internal memory. You can transfer files to it with the USB cable that comes with it, of course, but the tablet itself has nothing else for connectivity save for wireless.

There are 2 USB 2.0 ports on the keyboard/trackpad/battery component.

I can't imagine why people wouldn't want to get the $149 "dock" considering what it offers - no offense but I can't tolerate tiny micro-keyboards. I just got a smartphone with one, an LG that rips off BlackBerries, and while it's nice having a full Qwerty layout, the keys are like 8x smaller than my thumbtips. Not easy for someone like myself. :D

I'm seriously thinking about grabbing one. I just wish it wasn't three freaking pounds with the attached keyboard. A thinner quad core version of this would be my dream device. Until then my nook color is doing pretty great.

I'm seriously thinking about grabbing one. I just wish it wasn't three freaking pounds with the attached keyboard. A thinner quad core version of this would be my dream device. Until then my nook color is doing pretty great.

You'll get your wish in a few years. :)

Probably.

Can you fold one onto the other? I haven't seen it anywhere so I'm not sure about that. Also, no USB ports on the tablet? I would love to get one as my carry-on with a mini mech keyboard to write on it...I just don't see what use I woul have for the docking part, seriously.

Yes, it folds closed like a laptop :).

I am looking forward to grabbing one as soon as it hits, this thing should be great. I tried a viewsonic gtablet but the screen was unusably bad due to being a TN with terrible viewing angles.

I'm going to jump on this when it comes out. Will probably do the egg or amazon, as I won't be in an area where I could pick it up locally. Skipping the keyboard since it does USB.

The Transformer attaches to the keyboard/trackpad/battery dock, and then the whole "device" closes like a traditional laptop, yes.

The Transformer itself has a microSD slot for expansion (storage), and that's it aside from the internal memory. You can transfer files to it with the USB cable that comes with it, of course, but the tablet itself has nothing else for connectivity save for wireless.

There are 2 USB 2.0 ports on the keyboard/trackpad/battery component.

I can't imagine why people wouldn't want to get the $149 "dock" considering what it offers - no offense but I can't tolerate tiny micro-keyboards. I just got a smartphone with one, an LG that rips off BlackBerries, and while it's nice having a full Qwerty layout, the keys are like 8x smaller than my thumbtips. Not easy for someone like myself. :D

Thanks for the info. When I was talking about mini keyboards I was talking about something along these lines (its mini as it has a minilayout, but keys are standard size).

kbcpoker.jpg

Once you try mech keyboards you can't go back ;) But if there ain't any USB ports onto the tablet itself then having another keyboard defies its purpose.

Any way, it seems by Q4 there will be plenty of options in the tablet market, and some of them will come with Windows 7, and thats exactly what I want (a notebook without keyboard, that is).

How much will you guys actually be paying for it? Is $399.00 tax included?

Coz i just did a quick search in the Philippines and the first shipments are almost $800.00 a unit. Dock not included.

How much will you guys actually be paying for it? Is $399.00 tax included?

Coz i just did a quick search in the Philippines and the first shipments are almost $800.00 a unit. Dock not included.

Depends where you buy. I'm planning on paying $399 tax free at Amazon, or somewhere else that doesn't tax me. Just hope places don't try to price gouge like we're seeing atm.

So the tablet itself also has a SD card reader right? Don't think I'm going to go for the dock initially, and 16GB is pretty small. Probably grab a 32gb card if that's the case.

So the tablet itself also has a SD card reader right? Don't think I'm going to go for the dock initially, and 16GB is pretty small. Probably grab a 32gb card if that's the case.

microSD slot on the tablet itself - the keyboard/trackpad/battery dock has a regular SD card slot so, it does have some expansion capability in the dock itself, but it's the regular size SD card.

The Transformer saved space by putting just a microSD card slot internally. So if you absolutely had to have it, you could get the 32GB Transformer, a 32GB microSD card for the tablet itself, and a 32GB SD card for the dock and end up with ~96GB of storage as a whole package, not too shabby I suppose. Lot of bucks for the microSD/SD cards - one would think a $50-60 2.5" external USB 1TB drive would be more efficient and cost effective if absolutely necessary but, you'd have to have the dock to make use of it I suppose.

Also, it's not a Windows tablet - Android apps are basically nothing in terms of size, unless you're talking about some huge mapping app with gigs of map data in local storage but, with Google Maps and a wireless connection that becomes a bit redundant I guess.

But then again, considering the wireless connectivity, streaming content from wherever or cloud storage online does provide even more potential. ;)

Oh the possibilities...

A bunch of assholes have the Asus Transformer for sale already on eBay, around $650 - $750.

Damn thanks, was already looking at regular SD cards.

Yeah, well, most microSD cards come with those adapters for use in SD card slots these days so... get two of those (with the adapters) and you're covered either way. ;)

I'm beginning to think there is no such product as the Asus Eee Pad Transformer, went over the Sunday ads (04/24) plus the store websites and no advertising from Best Buy (Worst Buy) or the office stores. Plenty of promo's for the Viewsonic, Dell Streak 7" and even the new HTC Flyer 7".

What's going on Asus, a carnival game? Hype, hype, hype Asus and no such product!

A very ticked off potential customer...Darryl

I'm beginning to think there is no such product as the Asus Eee Pad Transformer, went over the Sunday ads (04/24) plus the store websites and no advertising from Best Buy (Worst Buy) or the office stores. Plenty of promo's for the Viewsonic, Dell Streak 7" and even the new HTC Flyer 7".

What's going on Asus, a carnival game? Hype, hype, hype Asus and no such product!

A very ticked off potential customer...Darryl

Best Buy seems retarded. I went there earlier today to see if they possibly had a demo, and if not when they were getting them so I could check it out before buying online.

First guy I talked to actually knew about the tablet in detail, but had to go ask another guy if/when they were coming in. This guy was saying he doubted they would be carrying them. I told him the reports said BB was on the vendor list, and he said, "Well maybe we will, or it may be online only. Best Buy only carries products with a customer rating of 3.5 stars or better cause it's a waste of our time below that".

The fuck lol?

I'll be buying one (32 GB Wi-Fi + Keyboard) for sure when it comes out here in Switzerland. Sadly, my online shop lists it for "late May" delivery. At that price, I am sold. Especially when considering that the Motorola Xoom, which indeed seems to suck compared to the Asus Eee Pad Transformer hasn't arrived either - and would cost me almost the double.

By the way, to anybody doubting the 3G capabilities: I can preorder a GSM/UMTS version as we speak, but the pricing is ridiculous, plus 30% on 16 GB. I don't need it anyway, as I can tether using my Android and don't plan on taking it with me everywhere.

Imagine how great it will be to watch some HD stuff in bed or go to lecture using this device. Come on, Asus! Deliver this thing, I'll give you your damn money.

:D

Last edited:
I have an Eee Slate that I think I'll be sending back, but I'm thinking of replacing it with this Transformer for less - the Transformer runs Android, has a Tegra2 chip which should be good enough for most graphics/games/1080p vid (Vendetta Online for Android too?), and has true 10-point multitouch plus all of Honeycomb's advancements. Since it has a GPS, I assume the location-aware services will work even without a mobile phone radio.

Should be a great product, and right now its right up there with the Acer AMD tablet, but I'm a little worried about Acer's quality..

Has anyone actually been able to find this tablet for sale anywhere? I've tried hunting through Amazon, newegg, frys and bestbuy, all of them have no record of this tablet.

Has anyone actually been able to find this tablet for sale anywhere? I've tried hunting through Amazon, newegg, frys and bestbuy, all of them have no record of this tablet.

its not for sale till tuesday. some bestbuy stores will have it for sale tomorrow, most tuesday though.

you can use this to check for store availability:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olstemplatemapper.jsp?id=pcat17006&type=page&sourceId=1218329537880&sourceType=product&skuId=2475916&productId=1218329537880&itemId=10597222&contract_desc=2+YEARS+NEW&pageMode=searchmode&ci_src=11138&AID=10474050&PID=4169959&SID=u85fobj2c3ud&URL=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bestbuy.com%2Fsite%2Folstemplatemapper.jsp%3Fid%3Dpcat17006%26type%3Dpage%26sourceId%3D1218329537880%26sourceType%3Dproduct%26skuId%3D2475916%26productId%3D1218329537880%26itemId%3D10597222%26contract_desc%3D2%2BYEARS%2BNEW%26pageMode%3Dsearchmode%26ci_src%3D11138&ref=39&CJPID=4169959&loc=01

I'm gonna try and get it on amazon to avoid tax. I wish it had a USB port so I could use a usb card reader and view photos from my camera's sd card.

Last edited:

newegg had it very briefly on Thursday, before deactivating it.

PC Richard & Son had it for sale this morning and ran out of stock.

I'm holding out for newegg again, or preferably Amazon...

On a side note has anyone seen the new Thinkpad Tablet that news just broke of? The pen input option has my curiosity piqued... http://thisismynext.com/2011/04/24/lenovo-thinkpad-tablet-honeycomb-optional-stylus-hit-summer/

On a side note has anyone seen the new Thinkpad Tablet that news just broke of? The pen input option has my curiosity piqued... http://thisismynext.com/2011/04/24/lenovo-thinkpad-tablet-honeycomb-optional-stylus-hit-summer/

Yeah, saw this some months ago but I've not yet spoken to anyone that's actually used a digital pen with an Android tablet yet. Pert of what makes pens cool on Windows tablets is the amazing handwriting recognition that's built into the OS which obviously isn't there with Honeycomb so we'll have to see what 3rd parties bring to bear.

not holding my breath for a heavily modified android UI, probably has horrible lag.

not holding my breath for a heavily modified android UI, probably has horrible lag.
That's what I'm thinking. The only proprietary UI coming together with the hardware that is convincing for me was - and still is - HTC Sense. And HTC had to gain years of experience before it actually became useful and flexible. Still, it requires a very powerful handset to run smooth. I say all that while using a stock Gingerbread AOSP ROM.

I'm still in for the Transfomer. It is so cheap and sounds convincing. If it ain't... well, at that price I'll buy a new one in a year, so what the hell? :rolleyes:

$EDIT$: The fuck? I keep reading everywhere stuff like "Asus' EeePad Transformer has been available in the United Kingdom for a while". Replace "United Kingdom" with a country of your choice. Also, Engadget reports "Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1v available tomorrow for €590, starting with Portugal". What a freaking mess!

Last edited:
Ordered the bundle that Tiger Direct had up. It is sold out now though. It was the 16gb tablet, a belkin neoprene case, and a mini-hdmi to hdmi adapter cable. It sold out in about an hour as the guys over on XDA seem to have been the first to see it. I also grabbed a 16gb microsd.

Now I'm just on the hunt for the keyboard dock, as TD doesn't have it listed at all.

Ordered the bundle that Tiger Direct had up. It is sold out now though. It was the 16gb tablet, a belkin neoprene case, and a mini-hdmi to hdmi adapter cable. It sold out in about an hour as the guys over on XDA seem to have been the first to see it. I also grabbed a 16gb microsd.

Now I'm just on the hunt for the keyboard dock, as TD doesn't have it listed at all.

I grabbed the tablet alone over the phone as soon as the XDA post went up :D with overnight shipping. I can't wait... should hopefully be here tomorrow!

Several questions to ask...since Asus doen't answer it's support number (tried 3 times) which is not a good sign of quality customer support! :rolleyes:

What class micro SDHC does this tablet support...2, 4, 6 or 10?

What HD video formats (why I returned my unopened iPad 2 since it supports .mov only) does device suppot?

Thanks, Darryl

The classes only define a given level of read/write performance - aside from that a microSDHC card is a microSDHC card these days. The higher the number that defines the class, the faster the card can be read from or written to.

As for video, I think until we see more people getting their hands on these it'll be tough to say. I would suggest keeping an eye on the XDA-Developers subforum they created for the Transformer for that kind of info:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1104

Also, the iPad (1 and 2) support much more than just .mov, but the video content needs to be inside an MP4 or M4V container. The container holds the audio/video/etc streams. You could have used a tool like HandBrake to easily transcode whatever video files you have to a format the iPad can play without issues - there's a preset in HandBrake that sets everything so the files are 100% compatible.

So, if you still want that iPad, realize it's not just .mov files, it can play some others too.

there would have to be a separate 3g dongle or something. afaik it doesn't have an internal 3g radio.

Only real downer for me, since without a USB port on the tablet itself, there is no way to even use a dongle :(

Does anyone know if it works well with ad hoc networks, such as wirelessly tethering to an android phone or to a hacked iSpot?

I'm tempted to pick one up to play with, although considering just waiting for the Fujitsu Stylistic Q550 (https://globalsp.ts.fujitsu.com/dmsp/docs/ds-stylistic-q550.pdf) to come out as it would seem to be more business-suited.

Back