ASUS Eee Pad Transformer coming Tuesday 4/26

600 to 800 bucks, 400 used on Ebay.
my point is after you add the dock which locks it in...you basically have a netbook, small notebook which you can buy for barely more (if more) and have tons better specs and no bugs. Is it really worth it so you can use pinch to zoom?

It is basically a netbook...when you want it to be. Tablets are nice to use in situations where netbooks aren't. I don't like sitting on the can with a netbook, for example. :)

Besides, I have several desktops, several laptops, and several tablets, and one phone. The tablets extend my use for things like reading work-related PDFs to places or situations where I might not otherwise be able to. It's just about replacing one type of computer for another in all cases. If that's what it needs to be for you, fine. Don't get a tablet. Some will find that a tablet is all they need. I'm in neither of those categories, however.

I thought about getting a net book, now that I'm close to graduating I don't need a full blown laptop with microsoft word or vmware. A tablet that does web browsing, chat, and video (rare for me) is really all I need for a portable computer. That's the only reason I chose the transformer though was the keyboard dock otherwise I would have gone with a net book.

my transformer is scheduled for delivery today!

what tools did you guys use to check for dead pixels/dead touch areas?

There are websites that you can run in full screen and cycle through patterns to detect dead pixels, deadzones are easily checked by downloading a painting app.

There are also a couple of multi-touch test apps in the market that could figure out dead spots pretty easily. There is one I grabbed for my TF that is specifically 10-point multi-touch.

I'm trying to find a damn 32BG or 64GB version of this tablet...GRRRR

I don't want to get an iPad2 but if I have to wait much longer for a reputable company to offer this I will end up getting an iPad2 :(

There's 16 and 32GB Transformers, if you want 64GB you're looking at the 32GB + 32GB microSD or perhaps get the dock and make use of the SD slot and get even more (when docked, obviously).

The BlackBerry PlayBook actually has a 64GB variant, as odd as that seems to me. Not a bad little device but, it's totally proprietary nature with just the one vendor for basically everything makes it effectively useless as far as I'm concerned. Apple is bad enough with their proprietary products, but the PlayBook, that's really strapped down.

I have already filled my 16gb onboard and 32gig micro with shows for my upcoming travel, contemplating using the full SD slot on the dock...

Shouldn't it theoretically be possible to connect the Transformer to an external disk? Honeycomb 3.1 implements the protocols needed for that.

Last edited:
Shouldn't it theoretically be possible to connect the Transformer to an external disk? Honeycomb 3.1 implements the protocols needed for that.

Yes you can, I just don't want to bring an external with me if I can help it.

if anyone is interested, newegg has the 16gb in stock.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834230018&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&AID=10446076&PID=1886881&SID=

still waiting to get it from amazon for free shipping and refund policy. not quite sure I want this tablet anymore with the display issues and build quality. I don't see the tab 10.1 being worth $100 extra though.

Every device will have screen problems, I don't think the screen display issues on the Transformer are that bad. Also what build quality issues? Nothing is bad on mine, although my spacebar is now squeeky?! no idea...

Yea, mine is solid as well. I have one light bleed (which almost every screen has) but that's it. Mine doesn't creak or feel cheap. And with the custom rom and kernal, this thing flies.

i got to some quality time w/ my transformer last night. very happy w/ the purchase so far. flash video playback could be better and i'm still playing around w/ which browser is best.

it would be nice to have some more tablet specific apps.

any good rpg games? is netflix able to be installed?

i got to some quality time w/ my transformer last night. very happy w/ the purchase so far. flash video playback could be better and i'm still playing around w/ which browser is best.

it would be nice to have some more tablet specific apps.

any good rpg games? is netflix able to be installed?

Video playback gets a bit better with the overclock kernal, and I think Honeycomb 3.1 is going to have more tweaks and enhancements.

The tablet specific app problem I think is because the devs were behind the curve. For the past few months, the only HC tablet out there was the XOOM, and I don't think many devs were going to make tablet versions for just once device. Now that the flood gates opened on the HC tablets, I think more and more will be making new versions of their apps.

Not sure about RPG games, but Dungeon Defenders is close, and Gun Bros.

Some devs over on XDA are fooling with a modified version of Flash for HC that a few people got working with Netflix in the browser, but many are still not getting it working correctly. I think we still have to wait for an official Netflix app that works with the TF [currently the Netflix app in the market doesn't support the TF].

Anyone got a USB 3 port on a computer that they tried charging with? I know USB2 ports are not charging worth a darn for charging but was wondering if a USB3 port on a computer charges with the same speed as the wall wart/cable.

There's 16 and 32GB Transformers, if you want 64GB you're looking at the 32GB + 32GB microSD or perhaps get the dock and make use of the SD slot and get even more (when docked, obviously).

The BlackBerry PlayBook actually has a 64GB variant, as odd as that seems to me. Not a bad little device but, it's totally proprietary nature with just the one vendor for basically everything makes it effectively useless as far as I'm concerned. Apple is bad enough with their proprietary products, but the PlayBook, that's really strapped down.

I went ahead and ordered the 32GB version and picked up a 32GB Class 10 Micro SDHC card for it. I have to wait until Tuesday to get it, though.

I'm thinking it'll be a great little tool to use to control my home PCs remotely, surf, email, and access my video and audio files :)

I'm thinking it'll be a great little tool to use to control my home PCs remotely, surf, email, and access my video and audio files :)

Is it possible to control your home PC remotely? I thought they need to be on the same network... ?

Not sure about "controlling" but you can for sure can control media on it for remote viewing. I've been able to remotely controly control uTorrent, E-Mail and a limited amount of time with office.

Anyone having keyboard lag ? At least one review from newegg states that it lags big time. On the border as to this tablet or the Galaxy 10.1 but the screens from LG on Ipad, X220, Galaxy 10.1 and this one does show light bleed. Not good if you have lots of light bleed, not just a tiny bit.

Anyone having keyboard lag ? At least one review from newegg states that it lags big time. On the border as to this tablet or the Galaxy 10.1 but the screens from LG on Ipad, X220, Galaxy 10.1 and this one does show light bleed. Not good if you have lots of light bleed, not just a tiny bit.

I heard the asus keyboard that is on by default lags, but the stock honeycomb one doesn't lag.

Anyone got a USB 3 port on a computer that they tried charging with? I know USB2 ports are not charging worth a darn for charging but was wondering if a USB3 port on a computer charges with the same speed as the wall wart/cable.

Look back a few posts for mine about the USB 3.0 extender cable. It works fine charging my TF, so i would think a USB port would work fine as well.

Depending on the website there will be lag. Here on [H] I do not have lag, on facebook (non app) I get lag.

Timlock,

i saw in another thread that you've had success w/ video encoding for the transformer. what encoding settings are you using for SD, 720p and 1080p? thanks!

Does anyone know if:

A - The full-sized SD Card Reader will support SDXC?
B - If not, whether Asus will be able to (or willing to) release an update to the image that will allow support for SDXC?

I bought the 32GB version and a 32GB Micro-SDHC card already, but I want to purchase a 64GB SDXC Card for the dock to bring my capacity up to around 110GB - 120GB to ensure I have room for most of my music.

You know, you can do streaming nowadays to such devices. ;)

My word... I can't even imagine trying to or wanting to get that much storage space in such devices, but that's just me and I know it.

Well tablets are supposed to ultra portable and one environment where they work swimmingly is in cars where streaming isn't an option.

I find the back pretty slippery. I would have liked it to be some sort of rubberized finish, similar to my G2 phone.

Used that Polaris office a little more extensively today. Forgot to submit my time sheet for this week before leaving the office. Thought I'd have to go back, but then remembered I brought my transformer to work today.

Luckily I had an old time sheet file in an email attachment.

.xls file. Was able to edit it to current date/hours worked etc. with ease. It even recognized the add rows/columns to calculate my total hours. Emailed it while wireless tethered to my phone, and good to go.

I find the back pretty slippery. I would have liked it to be some sort of rubberized finish, similar to my G2 phone.

Is the back of your unit not textured at all? Sweaty hands? Mine is and it's the only one I've held in person so I haven't had the chance to compare another unit to mine yet. I guess it's a bit slick but I haven't had an issue with holding it so far. I think one of those rubberized gel covers that slips around your phone or the ipad would be something you may like with cut outs made for all the ports and buttons. I may like that myself and it would help protect it just a bit as well.

I'm still trying to find the doc in stock some place so I can get one of those and a good screen protector as well. I almost bought a belkin case today at Target designed for the Xoom that allows you to tilt it in multiple positions.

I couldn't tell if it would fit or not due to it being sealed up inside a blister pack and you couldn't see most of it thanks to card board with only a small hole so you could feel the material. =/ The package was large enough to hold the Transformer and the cover seemed to fill most of the package but I wasn't willing to take a chance plus it was $40 and seemed a bit steep imo for what it was.

I also saw an Otterbox case for the Ipad 2 that looked like it may fit but it was locked via a security device and was $99 to boot. :eek: Needless to say I passed. lol

Last edited:
Used that Polaris office a little more extensively today. Forgot to submit my time sheet for this week before leaving the office. Thought I'd have to go back, but then remembered I brought my transformer to work today.

Luckily I had an old time sheet file in an email attachment.

.xls file. Was able to edit it to current date/hours worked etc. with ease. It even recognized the add rows/columns to calculate my total hours. Emailed it while wireless tethered to my phone, and good to go.

This reminds me back in the day when I used to have to do signed time sheets. I put mine on my convertible Tablet PC (an Excel .xls like yours) and had my boss sign it directly on the tablet and then copy it to a thumb drive and email it to the office with my work computer, other people were still faxing theirs, how quaint. This was back in 2005, before 3G was even out in my area and personal machines weren't allowed on the network at that client. Now I would just email it from the tablet connected via my Verizon 4G modem.

Well, it is textured, but it is still just plastic. The poster was just wondering if we didn't like anything. I have the official Asus folio case and it works great.

Looks like 3.1 for the TF leaked over on xda. They already got a version working that keeps root. I may try this out tomorrow, but the guy who does the Prime! rom is already working on an optimized version. Initial reports seem to show very improved flash and youtube app performance, as well as smoother home screen and browser scrolling. Can't wait.

Looks like 3.1 for the TF leaked over on xda. They already got a version working that keeps root. I may try this out tomorrow, but the guy who does the Prime! rom is already working on an optimized version. Initial reports seem to show very improved flash and youtube app performance, as well as smoother home screen and browser scrolling. Can't wait.

thats good news, I'd like to see this playing a 720p youtube vid smoothly. thats one of the main things holding me back. amazon US had the 16gb for sale around 6 est today. i think it sold out about an hour later. almost pulled the trigger but want to wait for wwdc.

Got my transformer in last week. So far, its not bad. The still picture quality is worse than expected, though. It is quite a bit worse than my mothers ipad. I thought they were using the same ips screen. Has anyone else noticed this? Its something that could make me return this device unless an update fixes it.

Got my transformer in last week. So far, its not bad. The still picture quality is worse than expected, though. It is quite a bit worse than my mothers ipad. I thought they were using the same ips screen. Has anyone else noticed this? Its something that could make me return this device unless an update fixes it.

What exactly makes it worse? Would you mind explaining the difference between the two screens?

They both use IPS panels but not the exact same brand/manufacturer of those panels so yes, there will be differences. If you want the quality of the iPad's display, fork over the cash for it, there's just no other way to get it.

As for the apparent "quality" I haven't noticed anything particularly bad about the Transformer's display on the 3 that I've had the opportunity to use for periods of time. It looks as good as the iPad to me when the brightness is raised up a bit from the defaults.

Not really sure what you're getting at with that "complaint" I suppose.

Speaking generally, colors seem to be accurate and compare favorably to the iPad. The problem is that stills look rather soft and, there is significant aliasing on the Transformer screen, when compared to the ipad. The catch is that I've only had such issues when viewing images with native apps (Asus browser and the gallery). Looking at the same picture in firefox mobile yields an image that is true to the original and, nearly indistinguishable from the ipad. This makes me think it's a software issue and, makes me hope it will be improved in future updates.

I can try to take a few pics with my 60D to demonstrate but, it will have to wait until after dinner tonight.

Back