Asus Extreme N7800GT way too loud! Please help!

Chrissicom

n00b
I have an Asus Extreme N7800GT since christmas and I am very happy with its performance. Although the card is way too loud and the fan seems to be running at 100% all the time.

I have installed Nvidia WHQL Drivers 81.98 and also the Asus Enhanced Driver 1.28. Asus claims the Enhanced driver will greatly reduce temperature and fan noise but it didn't change anything.

I have installed RivaTuner now and I tried to change the fan speed but no matter if I set it to 25% or 100% there's 0 difference (also after rebooting, turning off and on etc.).

Does anyone know if this tool is incompatible with my card or why the fan rotates at the same speed all the time? I would also consider buying an Arctic Cooling NV Silencer 5 Rev. 3 but I've heard the cooler doesn't fit on the Asus card because they have no standard design. Is that true?

Hmmm on that page it says

"So, the 7800GT is obviously a copy of the reference design! To the joy of quietness fans, the latest RivaTuner version copes well with controlling the rotational speed of the fan on this cooler."

I can't confirm that :-( I wonder what I could be doing wrong.

Chrissicom said:
Hmmm on that page it says

"So, the 7800GT is obviously a copy of the reference design! To the joy of quietness fans, the latest RivaTuner version copes well with controlling the rotational speed of the fan on this cooler."

I can't confirm that :-( I wonder what I could be doing wrong.

I have the EVGA 7800GT, and rivatuner was unreliable for dialing down the fan on my videocard. I ended up just getting the NV silencer 5 rev 3, and have been very pleased with how quiet it is.

According to the Article posted by Panda the Asus card indeed has the reference mounting holes so I think I might go for the NV Silencer as well :) glad to hear someone has it working on a 7800GT, that makes me more confident in buying it.

DamienThorn said:
I have the EVGA 7800GT, and rivatuner was unreliable for dialing down the fan on my videocard. I ended up just getting the NV silencer 5 rev 3, and have been very pleased with how quiet it is.

I'm using a EVGA 7800GT with rivatuner v2.0 RC15.8 from www.guru3d.com and it works great controlling the fan speed, i usually run at 43% for standard 2D and can barely hear it.

I'm also using the 82.65 beta drivers that were released not long ago, maybe try these items, i know i was trying an older version of rivatuner before and couldn't control the fans.

RogueTrip said:
I'm using a EVGA 7800GT with rivatuner v2.0 RC15.8 from www.guru3d.com and it works great controlling the fan speed, i usually run at 43% for standard 2D and can barely hear it.

I'm also using the 82.65 beta drivers that were released not long ago, maybe try these items, i know i was trying an older version of rivatuner before and couldn't control the fans.

I was using that release canidate, and while it worked for about a week or so, after that I couldn't get rivatuner to control the fan speed unless I uninstalled the drivers and rivatuner and then reinstalled the two again. All in all, it was easier to just get a quiet aftermarket cooler. The issue that I had with Riva, by the way, has been talked about on the EVGA forum regarding the 7800GT in particular, and is a quasi-common problem.

I had an eVGA 7800GT that would start screaming under load from the fan being so loud. I upgraded my cooler to this:
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16835118125

I can't even hear my vid card's fan anymore, and it runs about 9 C cooler under load to boot. The EVGA was running the copper heatsink stock. If you have the money, and don't mind upgrading your heatsink (disclaimer: different companies have different stipulations on what voids warranties, so swapping heatsinks might void yours.) Anyway, that cooler made my card damn near silent. Just my .02

Back