Asus G73JH vertical lines across screen

HOCP4ME

2[H]4U
Hey guys, for a week now I've had a problem with my Asus G73JH laptop. Namely, the screen looks like this:

IMAG0109.jpg

1. A few days before this happened, I dropped the laptop about two feet onto carpet. Immediately after the fall, it was working fine.

2. The day before this happened, I was getting random display driver crashes and visual glitches.

3. An external monitor still works fine...in fact I'm posting from it right now.

4. My friend and I completely disassembled the laptop, reseated the video card, and checked the video wires for signs of damage; we found nothing.

Any idea where I should go from here? I'm very confused about what component is bad as points 1 and 3 imply a problem with the screen, whereas points 2 and 4 imply a problem with the graphics card. I can't really afford to send the unit back to ASUS as I need this computer for school, and the ASUS RMA process takes weeks.

Last edited:
try to hook it up to external monitor/HDtv see if it works. if everything is good to go than try to reinstall the driver using somether other mean. if it doesn't work than it's LCD/video card that is gone bad (did hear something like this does happen to G73) well good thing it's still under warranty, call'em up and send it back for repairs.

You seem to have what some G73 owners refer to as the PSOD... The psychedelic screen of death. The only remedy is to RMA the laptop for a screen replacement.

I saw that when GPU was dying on my notebook... TWICE! darn 8400gs and it's faulty contacts.

It could be that the drop caused the flat ribbon signal cable on the backside of the LCD to become disconnected, you can double check its not the video card by making sure that external monitor port works.

Back