ASUS GeForce GTX 770 for $300 AR @ Newegg

beowulf7

[H]F Junkie
This is probably a warm deal at best, but the first time in a while I've seen a new (not refurb or open box) GTX 770 for (just barely) under $300, after the $10 GC with free shipping.

ASUS GTX770-DC2OC-2GD5 GeForce GTX 770 2GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121770

Free Gift: NVIDIA Gift - Watch Dogs

Your thoughts? I've heard mixed reviews on Asus, allegedly not as solid as a video card manufacturer as EVGA. But EVGA costs quite a bit more. I hope more 770s fall below $300.

Edit: It's also on Amazon for $299.99 AR:
http://www.amazon.com/GTX770-DC2OC-2GD5-GeForce-256-bit-PCI-Express-OC-selected/dp/B00D3F7CFK

Edit #2: Here's a review done by [H].

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Most of the complaints that I have heard about with respect to ASUS stem from their RMA Department. I have had decent luck with a lot of their products (motherboards, video cards, notebook PCs) and terrible luck with a few (Crosshair V motherboard in particular).

My most recent experience was a positive one. I sent them an F75 notebook that somehow lost the BIOS/UEFI after 6 months or so of use, if I recall correctly. Turnaround was quick, they sent the unit back in good shape, and even replaced the HDD (same size, better performance). As anecdotal as that may be, they are still on my acceptable to purchase list. There is always that nagging doubt about having to deal with their RMA Department after reading some of the horror stories around here as well as on other tech sites, but if the deal is decent, I would probably pull the trigger.

This one has one of the best aftermarket coolers too. Nice find.

Many of my last few cards have been Asus and they've given me no issues. I currently have two GTX 780s like this one and they run awesomely.

I saw that it's also on Amazon for the same price, AR:
http://www.amazon.com/GTX770-DC2OC-2GD5-GeForce-256-bit-PCI-Express-OC-selected/dp/B00D3F7CFK

I updated my OP. Amazon shows 4.4/5 reviews for it. I've bought a couple Asus items, a motherboard several years ago, which required an RMA of the "CPU retention bracket", which was relatively painless, and a cheap little video card for my HTPC, which I since upgraded (4550 to 6450), but not due to a defect.

I've been waiting for the coinflation to calm down a little, and even though GTX cards aren't good miners, they also spiked in price.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Solid deal I currently own that card and have put hundreds of hours on it. I've had no problems whatsoever.

Amusingly, I purchased this exact card because my Asus GTX670 (top model) sh!t the bed in late November 2013 and I went thru Asus RMA hell to get it replaced. The Asus RMA process left much to be desired, they said NOTHING about the timeframe for replacement. Sitting in limbo for two weeks, I get an update that it might take 6-8 weeks to get an RMA, I decided to purchase this card on a similar deal because I'm faced with another month of no vidcard. I purchase this card via NewEgg ($307 no rebate). The next day I get two messages. One message from Newegg saying my order shipped. The second message, from Asus. tells me that my RMA will be processed within 4 weeks. The greatest part about my RMA experience, my new GTX770 card arrived on a friday from NewEgg. The Asus RMA arrived Saturday morning (3w4days ahead of "schedule").
The performance from my Asus GTX670 Top is almost identical to the GTX770.

Great cards, run cool, exceptionally quiet, but DAMN could their RMA department in the US get some communication skills?

With any video card RMA from any company, I wouldn't be able to wait. I'd buy a new card and sell the old one once the replacement returned. The only time I ever had to do this was with an MSI AMD 6950 that I was having random lockups with at stock speeds. MSI did no communication with me and sent me the same card back. I don't know if they fixed it or sent it back with nothing wrong with it, as they never told me.

Im considering buying this right now as well. Cant decide between the 770 and 780 :(

$300 with Watch Dogs seems like a pretty good deal.

Also, there seems to be a targeted code "BTEPFHB35" which knocks off another $15. I couldn't get it to work on my account but it may work for you.

Edit:

Just did a chat with Newegg and they are giving me a $15 gift card since i wasnt eligible for the code.

$285 AR is a good price.

Last edited:
Do it. The 770 overclocked will generally get within 10-20% of a stock 780 so the premium paid for a 780 may not be worth it, especially at this price.

Probably a good deal considering Maxwell was pushed back. These will be around for a while.

I have been nothing but impressed with Asus when it comes to their video cards. I think the cards with the DirectCU II coolers are some of the most solid and well built I've seen in quite awhile. Innovative cooling, quiet, and they just look sexy as well.

I can't speak for Asus RMA process when it comes to video cards, I haven't had the misfortune of needing an RMA yet.

The last time I checked EVGA was still pumping out plain old boring rattly reference design boards and coolers. I'm not even sure their once great RMA process even stands out anymore.... so.... *shrug*

I'm half tempted to get this and replace my Zotac GTX 770. Absolutely nothing wrong with the Zotac board, but IMO the Asus DirectCU II cooling setup is more robust, somewhat higher quality, and definitely looks sexier. ;)

I have been nothing but impressed with Asus when it comes to their video cards. I think the cards with the DirectCU II coolers are some of the most solid and well built I've seen in quite awhile. Innovative cooling, quiet, and they just look sexy as well.

I can't speak for Asus RMA process when it comes to video cards, I haven't had the misfortune of needing an RMA yet.

The last time I checked EVGA was still pumping out plain old boring rattly reference design boards and coolers. I'm not even sure their once great RMA process even stands out anymore.... so.... *shrug*

I'm half tempted to get this and replace my Zotac GTX 770. Absolutely nothing wrong with the Zotac board, but IMO the Asus DirectCU II cooling setup is more robust, somewhat higher quality, and definitely looks sexier. ;)

Evga acx cooler is boring?

Will this cooler do OK with a vertical style case. The Silverstone FT03 to be specific.

Will this cooler do OK with a vertical style case. The Silverstone FT03 to be specific.

Probably fine if you only have 1 card and put it in the topmost slot. I'm not really a fan of these type of coolers even in normal cases though. They do require proper ventilation.

I wound up ordering this video card during the evening of 4/30, about a few hours after I posted this deal. To my surprise (given the bad rap that Newegg gets for shipping), mine arrived today! :eek: It came with the "Watch Dogs" game card as well, as expected.

Before I ordered this card, I read up on some reviews, including one that's right here on [H]. :cool:

This will be the first time I upgrade a video card on a computer from one family to another. On my previous PC, I went from an older NVidia to a newer NVidia. On my current HTPC, I went from one an older AMD to a newer AMD. On this PC (my main, gaming one), I'll be going from an AMD 7770 to an NVidia 770 GT. Any words of advice besides uninstalling the old driver before shutting down my rig? I also downloaded the latest non-beta driver for this video card from geforce.com (335.23-desktop-win8-win7-winvista-64bit-english-whql.exe).

I'll benchmark my current (old) and new videos card with 3DMark that I bought on Steam late last year. I hope it works as in not DOA!

Oh yeah, here's a pic of the box that arrived yesterday. :cool: It's pretty heavy! :eek:

4369.jpg

Did anyone sell "Watch Dogs" or are you keeping that game that came with this video card? It looks like on Ebay, that card is selling for $30-35. Obviously, well under the $90 MSRP Newegg has it listed at.

About the video card, I'm pretty impressed how silent it is. But for some reason, it wouldn't run on my main x16 slot. However, it works on the x8 slot. I'll do some more troubleshooting this weekend.

About the video card, I'm pretty impressed how silent it is. But for some reason, it wouldn't run on my main x16 slot. However, it works on the x8 slot. I'll do some more troubleshooting this weekend.

Was that on "auto" settings? Did you try forcing the slot to 3.0?

Was that on "auto" settings? Did you try forcing the slot to 3.0?
Well, it's kind of a long story, but in a nutshell, my PC wouldn't even power on. It would turn on for about 0.4 sec., the fans would spin for a couple revs, and then it would shutdown. Yes, I had 6- and 8-pin adapters plugged in and I'm 99.99% sure that the card was seated properly. (No forcing, etc.) I then moved it to the other PCI-e slot and also changed the power cables from my modular PSU to use a different bank. That combination worked. At the time, I didn't realize that the PCI-e slots were different, the first being x16 and the currently occupied one being x8. This weekend, I'll re-attempt at the original x16 slot.

I don't know what the speed difference is between x8 and x16 slots (and no, it's not 2X). Some Googling around seems to indicate just a few FPS, so nowhere near the x8 vs. x16 that one would think. No wonder SLI performance is not anywhere near 2X the performance of a single card.

Back