Asus K8N-E Deluxe won't power up (standby pwr LED stays on)

I am having a problem with my new computer. I tried to shut it down and it wouldn't cooperate (windows problem) and I ended up actually having to cut the power to my PSU in order to get the retarded thing turned off...

That's what I get for not being able to afford to build a new computer without using old parts because I don't have enough dough to replace them...

Anyhow...now I can push the power button a hundred thousand times and nothing happens. The Standby Power LED on the motherboard is lit up and I can't get it to turn off, even pulling the battery clearing the CMOS and unplugging the PSU doesn't help. As soon as I plug the PSU back in the LED pops right back on and nothing powers up no matter what I do. Anyone know what might be causing this or how to fix the issue? Personally I NEVER use standby mode or sleep mode on a computer so I'd just as soon manufacturers stop putting the feature in the boards at all, but I understand I'm a minority so it stays...I just wish they would make a hard jumper to disable the thing to avoid this kind of irritation.

bumpity bump cause I'm stuck using my wife's computer until I can find a fix for this and get mine turned on...can't turn it on cause of this problem...

Do you have a floppy drive? Totally unplug it, everything on it. Same thing happened to me on my A8N32-SLI Turns out the power connector was moved over too much so it was only hitting 3 of the 4 pins....Tho i could be wrong in your situation

pulled the floppy drive and still no difference. Standby light is still on and the rig won't power up when you hit the button.

Are you sure your power switch is on the correct jumpers on your mobo? I wouldn't think the "standby" power LED would mean anything other than there is power to your mobo.

Found the trouble with me system not reacting in any way to my power button...the lead coming off the switch had somehow been broken so pushing the button effectively did diddly. Got the leads re-soldered on and everything on that front is hunky dorry...

Now I have a NEW problem...my PSU kicks on for less than a second (the PSU fan lights up and spins for a second and the other fans in the system spin up) but almost instantly cuts off. This is the behavior the PSU is exhibiting when hooked up to and powered up through the motherboard (Asus K8N-E Deluxe). When hot wiring the PSU alone using the jumper between green and ground the PSU spins up and runs happily with no issues.

I've scalped the system down to bare bones (CPU, PSU, RAM, MOBO, OS DRIVE, COOLING) and there's no change. What sort of problems could cause this sort of reaction so I can start trying to figure out what the culprit is.

The fact that your system froze before this problem started could indicate there may be a problem with your mobo. If you have a different board, try swapping them and see if you can duplicate the problem on that different. Also, if a PC turns itself off a few second after turning it on may also be a sign of lose Heatsink/fan, forcing the CPU to turn the PC off when it overheats. More like mobo problem than anything else, though.

...the culprit actually turned out to be the toggle switch for one of my two CCFL inverters mounted in a PCI slot...I had flipped my CCFLs off because I was in and about inside the case and god only knows what on earth posessed me to flip em back on and try powering up but when I did the thing popped right up with no problems. Turned it off again and same quick stop as before. I think when I have the extra money to rewire the case (custom power cables and fan leads on everything) I'll probably be removing the switches to free up my PCI slots anyhow. Plus it'll clean up the birds nest I'm hatching currently...I just need to get the dough together and buy replacement thermal probes for my GateWatch along with sleeving and molex pins and stuff.

Sorry I was so pushy and grouchy but thanks for the input...it kept me plugging away at it thinking surely I could figure it out.

Back