ASUS Maximum Extreme CMOS ERR

Grimmwor

Weaksauce
I have a stable system running Vista x64 with a ASUS Maximum Extreme mobo, QX9650 cpu and 8800gtx video card. Also in one of the PCI slots is a USB card with 4 external USB ports and one internal. I normally keep a flash usb drive in the internal USB port. This morning for some reason Vista ReadyBoost stopped working on the USB Flash Drive. I decided to pull it out and re-insert it to see if that would fix it. When I pulled it out, I accidentally touched the metal connector of the USB Flash Drive to the back of my video card, just on the opposite side of where the GPU is located. I heard a small static pop and my system locked. Now when I boot, I get a CMOS ERR on the LCD poster. I don't get any video.

My gut feeling is that I fried my video card. Unfortunately I don't have any spare video cards, so I can't test this for sure to rule out any other problems. I am thinking about going to Best Buy to pick up a cheapo video card to rule out any other issues.

Anyone have any other suggestions or input? Is it possible that a problem with the video card is causing the CMOS ERR?

I just called BFG tech support. Not only are they open on a Sunday Afternoon (wow!!), they answered the phone in about 5 seconds and offered to RMA my card, no questions asked...that is pretty amazing!! They told me that if I ship the card out tomorrow, I should have a new one in 7 to 10 business days...

Card arriving from BFG tomorrow...my expectation is that it will be a repaired/refurbished card that some one else RMA'd recently and they fixed...I will let you all know what I receive.

As long as it works like my old one I will be happy :)

OK, I got a video card back from BFG, have everything installed, booted it up...and I have the same problem...CMOS ERR message on the LCD Poster...never get anything to display on the monitor at all...any suggestions on what to check next??

I had the same thoughts as you, Loco. I bought a brand new motherboard and installed everything. same problem. I have two memory modules...tried using just one module, then swapping for the other one...same problem. Went out and bought a new video card for cheap...GeForce 8400GS PCIe and surprise, surprise, surprise, it booted right up with video.

The only other possible factor that I could think of that might differentiate the 8400GS card from the 8800GTX, however unlikely, is the pcie power cables (which the 8400GS doesn't use). Fortunately I had a spare power supply with two pcie power cables, so I gave that a try on the 8800gtx card. Still same problem...posts, then gives an F7 error (one beep and two short beeps). If I press F1 (acknowledging the error), it loads the bios, but still no image on the screen.

I think after all this troubleshooting, the only conclusion I can draw is that BFG sent me another defective card for my RMA. I've already RMA'd the second card, we'll see what happens when the third card arrives...

Fortunately Compusa has a 30-day return policy, so I will be able to return the mobo and the video card I bought for troubleshooting...

If your 3rd one arrives and does the same thing you may want to check that powersupply and be sure it gives the right voltage.

Thanks again for the advice Loco, but I have been using the same video card, motherboard and power supply for several months without any issues, so I am skeptical that it's my power supply. It did cross my mind, though, so I tried another power supply that I had (Silverstone ST85F) and had the same results. I know for a fact that the Silverstone ST85F has more than enough juice for one 8800gtx....and so does the ABS Tagan BZ700.

I know you are just trying to help with your suggestions and I appreciate it, but it's so hard for me to believe that it's a power supply problem...

I get the RMA card back tomorrow, so we'll see...

Alright Loco...or anyone else kind enough to offer some more advice...I got the third RMA card today from BFG...and I am still having the same problem. I feel like an idiot. I can't understand what's going on. I get the following messages on the ASUS LCD Poster:

CPU INIT
DET DRAM
CHECKCPU
VGA BIOS
USB FINAL
COUNTMEM
DET IDE
INIT ROM
CMOS ERR

If I press F1 on my keyboard after the CMOS ERR, I get one last message:

EN SETUP

Then it just displays the time like it always does when the pc has booted and is running. Never at any point does any display get sent to the monitor; the monitor doesn't even detect the video card, it just stays in sleep mode.

OK, I'm ready to listen now. Sorry for being stubborn before. Please, any more advice? Loco, you think it's my power supply? I don't have a multimeter to check to check the voltage on the power supply, but I might be able to borrow one or even buy one. What do I need to do?

ok well im out of Ideas really. I mean to check the voltage on the PCI-E connectors I really dont think its your card again but who knows.

Do you have any Dual 4-pin Power Supply Connector to 6-pin PCI Express Connector? and try those.

I don't think it's my card either...in fact, I think my card was probably ok both times I RMA'd it. I think I will try a new power supply tomorrow...

brand new power supply, still no dice. This is maddening! I have tried the other PCIe slot...

do this in order and see what happens...
Reset CMOS + remove battery for at least 1 hour.
then try
1 Memory Stick and remove all extra hardware (sounds cards, HardDrives, DVD drives)
_______

Honestly I have no clue. Maybe go to a local computer and have the video card tested. I would hate for you to RMA that card again.

at this point I have replaced every component in my system except for the cpu...i bought a new motherboard, memory, power supply and two different rma'd cards from BFG. I feel completely defeated, don't know what to do next...

Before I RMA this video card again, i feel like i need to try a different card, one that requires 2 pcie power cables so I am comparing apples to apples...

I am glad Compusa takes returns without asking too many questions...

Well we really should move this thread from the motherboard forum to the video card forum! I went out and picked up a 9800GX2 at Fry's. The build started right up. It was the video card...AGAIN! I can't believe BFG sent me two dead cards in two weeks for RMA's...

Now to decide if I should keep the 9800GX2 and build a system to sell when BFG finally sends me a card that actually works...

Well we really should move this thread from the motherboard forum to the video card forum! I went out and picked up a 9800GX2 at Fry's. The build started right up. It was the video card...AGAIN! I can't believe BFG sent me two dead cards in two weeks for RMA's...

Now to decide if I should keep the 9800GX2 and build a system to sell when BFG finally sends me a card that actually works...

Oh wow... I can't believe it. What the hell is BFG doing. I never had a problem like that before but that is just retarded. :mad:

Hell, ask to talk to a mananger about the issue.

I couldn't believe it either...so much so, in fact, that I had completely eliminated the video card in my troubleshooting. I thought 'no way they would send me two dead cards in a row for RMA...'

Trust me, I will be calling tomorrow...

I also see people complaining of BFG opening and rebadging possible used rma's as new "overclocked" cards for 9800gtx's. Some people hint at some of that on newegg reviews for their oc cards.

After that and the problems I had with a 7 series card from them I won't go bfg again either :mad:

XFX or EVGA this time

Back