Asus maximus formula and E8400

Miltos2304

Limp Gawd
I'm building my new pc soon
And what do you think of the pc that i'am currendly building?

COSMOS S
Asus Rampage formula
Zalman 9700LED
Intel E8400 or Q9450 {maybe overclock later }
OCZ reaper 4gb (2x2024) ram 1066mhz PC8500
1-Raptor 150gb
1-Western digital raptor 500gb 7200.11
Pioneer DVR drive
Evga nvidia 9800gx2
Vista 64 bit

How will handle crysis on very high with resolution at least 1280x1024?

I'm not sure about the Maximus, but the Rampage Formula does work out of the box with the 45nm chips.

Don't use the Ballistix 1066 with this board. There are a lot of OC'ers (myself included) having issues with it. This board has killed 4 of my 2GB Ballistix kits since Jan. Depending on how far you plan to OC your system, Kingston HyperX PC8500 seems to do well up to about 485 FSB.

As far as 45nm compatibility, it depends on what BIOS version your board ships with. I *think* that you need 0903 or higher, but I could be mistaken. If you have another 775 CPU, you could always switch the CPU's, flash and reinstall the E8400 if you run into the CPU INIT or DET DRAM errors.

I would imagine if you bought a new retail board now it would come with the BIOS that supports 45nm.

I just bought an Asus Maximus Formula yesterday from newegg, when it comes in i will let you know what BIOS it comes with.

I will be very suprised if it comes with one of the old BIOS's

Iam not goind to overclock at the time being.
Also iam consifering of getting the G.SKILL DDR2 4GB (2X2GB) PC8000 1000MHZ 5-5-5-15
As for the motherboard i might end up with rambage.

I recently build a machine much like this for a friend. E8400 on a ASUS Maximus formula. It recognized the CPU right away, with the factory BIOS (I believe version 802). It runs perfectly stabile, on week three, with 4GB of Corsair XMS2 DHX CL4 and an ASUS 8800 GT (G92).

I´d wait and get the WD VelociRaptor instead. And the same in regards to the videocard, wait for in depth reviews of the ATI 4870 (x2), then decide. I´d also take the advice on the RAM from Vix.

Enjoy!

You shouldn't have any problems with running the e8400 cpu on the Asus Maximus Formula off the bat. I received my Asus MF (non-SE) with 504 bios and it was able to boot fine with vista ultimate being installed. You won't have to use an older socket 775 cpu in order to flash the bios to the newest version. Other [H] members have confirmed this in older post ^^

Also, if you're not planning to oc your cpu, you might as well just stick to your stock cooler or get an affordable cpu hsf like the arctic freezer 7 or the xigamatek 92mm hsf. Very affordable cooling solutions.

For cpu cooler iam getting zalman 9700led because it fits nicely in my case
Also i change the case to COSMOS S

I change my original list at the top of the page .
Iam in the process of what parts to get :)

Back