ASUS may bring water to a northbridge near you

I guess ASUS probably knows something we don't as the board comes with either 1/4" or 3/8" water fittings. :D

Made in Germany too!

It would be nice to get the eVGA w/o the CPU block.

Yeah, the Black Pearl is nice, but the nice thing about the ASUS design is that you won't have to pay a premium for 4 water blocks, and it'll probably work just as well.

'Engineered for the Ultimate Enthusiast' my ass. Let me buy my own damn CPU block, EVGA.

Oh well. At least they got the tube sizes right.

heh all of the black pearl stuff is innovatek. Good stuff, but mostly aluminum, unless they have radically changed recently.

Edit: I just went to the Innovatek website, and the cooler set is priced at 269 Euros... which is like $200. Ouch.

If you understand how heat pipes work and look at the way those are angled/sloped you will see that placing the cooling in the middle of the heat pipe assembly will starve the cooling of the uppermost portion of the heatpipe intended to cool the MOSFETs for the cpu power supply. The waterblock should be at the top of the pipe. Probally running water through it will still cool sufficiently if only by conduction but its not the best place to put the water block and I guess they were more concerned about keeping the NB from going up in flames as the MOSFETs typically are rated for 150C. Anyway it amuses me. Heatpipes work great but I wish they would just design them for proper cooling rather than looks first and cooling second.

I guess ASUS probably knows something we don't as the board comes with either 1/4" or 3/8" water fittings.

Speaking for myself, I seriously doubt it.

If you understand how heat pipes work and look at the way those are angled/sloped you will see that placing the cooling in the middle of the heat pipe assembly will starve the cooling of the uppermost portion of the heatpipe intended to cool the MOSFETs for the cpu power supply. The waterblock should be at the top of the pipe. Probally running water through it will still cool sufficiently if only by conduction but its not the best place to put the water block and I guess they were more concerned about keeping the NB from going up in flames as the MOSFETs typically are rated for 150C. Anyway it amuses me. Heatpipes work great but I wish they would just design them for proper cooling rather than looks first and cooling second.
I agree with you, but in the majority of cases (ATX towers), the FETs are going to be at the highest point of the pipe assembly and would be cooling-starved (or, heat-suffused?) anyway. It's not like Asus came up with some new design that specifically neglects the FETs:
Asus example
Gigabyte example
Abit example
MSI example

Looking at the FET coolers, it seems to be generally assumed that the FETs can get along fine with copper fins alone, whereas the heatpipes are there to take advantage of airflow around the CPU for the sole benefit of the chipset.

In the case of this new Asus board, I'd say that while it would be optimal from a heatpipe perspective to have the waterblock over the FETs, in reality the FETs don't need that much cooling, as you noted, and in any case, the water on the NB block will serve to reduce the heat being transfered to the FET 'sinks, meaning that the FETs still benefit.

I agree with you, but in the majority of cases (ATX towers), the FETs are going to be at the highest point of the pipe assembly and would be cooling-starved (or, heat-suffused?) anyway. It's not like Asus came up with some new design that specifically neglects the FETs:
Asus example
Gigabyte example
Abit example
MSI example

Looking at the FET coolers, it seems to be generally assumed that the FETs can get along fine with copper fins alone, whereas the heatpipes are there to take advantage of airflow around the CPU for the sole benefit of the chipset.

In the case of this new Asus board, I'd say that while it would be optimal from a heatpipe perspective to have the waterblock over the FETs, in reality the FETs don't need that much cooling, as you noted, and in any case, the water on the NB block will serve to reduce the heat being transfered to the FET 'sinks, meaning that the FETs still benefit.

Yep agree, but still, had I designed it, the water block would be on the FETs and at the top of the heatpipe. Mainly I just wanted to throw rocks at someone, anyone because I had to spend 2 days reworking the termals of my shiny, new, paid full pop, what was then top of the line. motherboard before I could install it and start playing toys. Really, the first thing anyone who buys any of those boards should do is rip the bling bling thing off, apply good paste properly, trash the crappy push pins and bolt it down properly so it works like God intended. It just really tics me off with prices way over $200 a person should have to go thru that, much less the poor noob that buys it and wonders why it wont get 400FSB. hmm feel much better now, think I will take my meds. cya.

wait a minute, wow looking at the gigabyte it appears the hold downs for the heatpipe are something else than the crappy push pins used by the others, could my nasty gram to gigabyte actually had some effect ? Naw, I bet the others used up the worlds supply of crappy push pins and Gigabyte had to use to decent hardware as a last resort.

Back