ASUS Official X79 Motherboards Support Thread

Tried searching for MEI and minimum, no luck.

I am trying to install the Intel MEI (Intel Management Engine) for the Asus P9x79 WS motherboard. I have had no issues installing this on Win7 x64. However, when trying to install the drivers in Win 8 x64 from the Asus install CD, I get a OS not supported message. There are no drivers listed on the Asus website for this mobo and Windows 8, and attempts to get it from other locations, such as Station-drivers, have resulted in install errors outlined below.

No issue, I should just try and get the drivers from Intel right? Well they don't exactly install either. I get a message stating "This computer does not meet the minimum requirements for installing the software"

Does anyone have any idea on what driver we are supposed to use for this? This is causing both a " Simple Communications Controller " and "Unknown Device" to show up in Device Manager.

Which UEFI version are you using? Check the ME version your board is running.

Once a bios image has been converted from rom to cap it cant be UNconverted.

However shamino has offered a backdoor hidden go-back.
You just rename the 1404.rom to ERALL.ROM and put it on a Fat16 (FAT) usb 2.0 stick and use backflash mode. Its only for ROG mobo and I know it works with R4E, assume it will work for your mobo, but you are on your own here. Let me know what happens if you try it.

I Tried to revert back using 1404.rom on a fat16 usb stick renamed to ERALL.ROM & bricked the v.3204 chip. So that go-back doesn't work on this mobo. I Got 2 v.1404 bios chips from Asus & 1 was bricked already. I found out that the reason I'm seeing x16 & x8 on the R4F mobo is when the lowest x16 slot has anything in it, that's what you get. I tried my sound, tv & wifi cards (all of them are x1) in that slot only to find x16 & x8 on my sli set-up, even with v.1404 which I thought was running at x16 & x16. Not very happy with this mobo now since this lane downgrade isn't listed in any materials for the mobo. I bought it to have 5 pcie slots available. 2 double-wide for x16 by x16 sli video leaving 1 each for x1 sound, tv & wifi for a total of 7 slots. Now my wifi card is removed, so much for repositioning my router. Thanks Asus. Also I only have the 1 & 3 slot leds lit for which x16 pcie slots are filled. Tried switching slot 4 to gen1 & even switched off slot 4 but I had to physically remove any card from that slot to get x16, x16. :(

cisco guy, I forgot to mention that ver.3204 was still showing 2 keyboards as well. Versions 2105 & 1404 don't. Those are the versions I have left on the 2 good chips out of 4 that I still have. Oh & I tried removing everything including my mouse to see if I could clear up that issue but it was still there before I bricked that chip.

Oh wow, you have had a very bad day indeed.

Sorry ERALL didnt work on formula - I am going to go on the ASUS ROG forum to ask about that. You might keep in mind the days of just flashing are over - you must do an unplugged PSU CMOS reset after any flash, especially of this type or in certain cases the PC wont even boot, or will boot to a blank screen.
When you backflashed, did you hold the button in till it started blinking? Did it blink or stay solid?

As far as one chip bricked from ASUS, I doubt it.
The chips only go in one way, you might try putting it in the other way. There is a shiny half circle in the plastic on top

And since the legs on the chip are splayed out when you get them you have to very carefully straighten them, which I find ultra annoying, since when they come as bulk the legs are straight and in channels.

If the legs are a little wonky the chip might not go down all the way to touch top of socket (both ends) by laying flat

As far as multiple KB (or mice) I have seen that on Z77 - I think it has something to do with Win 8 compatibility and nothing to worry about.

Never ever buy any mobo from anyone but Amazon. they have the best exchange/refund/RMA policy of anyone. I cant help but think you would be much happier with an R4E

Edit:
You might need more specialized help from other forums (I have never handled a Formula at all)
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums...fficial-X79-Motherboards-Support-Thread/page7
http://rog.asus.com/forum/

Last edited:
cisco guy, I held the button in for 3 seconds, I held it in until the button started blinking & as soon as the thumb drive activity light turned on the button stopped blinking & turned off, no activity. I tried the new asus chips, after bricking my old one, & wallah my pc comes on for a second (fans spin up, mobo leds come on) & it turns off again. Then it just keeps repeating that cycle like it did with the bricked chip I just took out. I thought the bios 1 socket went bad so I swapped chips & the problem switched to bios socket 2. I am familiar with changing chips thanks. After I shut down my PC I turn off the AC power with a switch controlled outlet I made. So UPS to my switch controlled wall outlet with my PC PSU plugged into it. I turn off the hot & nuetral only the ground passes thru. I will try your clr cmos trick with the power off & play with the bad chips some more I'll let U know. I just ordered another 1404 chip from asus again I'm not going to bother with RMA bullshit. I'm just pissed that they didn't send the 3 pack of temp probes I ordered with the first 2 chips. So I got 1 bad chip & no temp probes, I call that order a win for them. But it's only $$$, no one died so who gives a shit.

Update to my post #486. I just received my temp probes from Asus in the mail today. So I just got 1 bad chip from them, no biggie.

cisco guy are people able to fully populate the R4E pcie slots with other than all video cards, without dropping their SLI to x16 by x8 ? Maybe I should have bought an R4E instead of the R4F.

I am not a hard line gamer using 2-3-4 vidcards.
Thats why I gave you the ROG forum and xtremesys links
You are not going to get good definitive answers here for your questions.
I use my R4E for CAD CAM FEA - mainly for the 64GB RAM
My main PC for everyday use is Z77 V Pro
However we had a guy here (in this X79 sub forum) who was running 2 or 4 7970 Vidcards @ 16X using 2 PSU in a big case with R4E. He could only run 3, and found out he had a bad HDMI cable.
I do know for sure you can run 4X 16X with the $600 ASRock Extreme 11 (there is a thread here also on that mobo)
HTH

Just added a second SSD as RAID0 on the Intel SATA6 ports. I'm seeing transfer rates according to ATTO near 1g/sec! Which brings me to my question - where is the limit on the x79 chipset for the Intel Sata6, Asmedia, and Intel Sata3 controllers? General rule of thumb was ~650m/sec on my older box. Benchmark goofed, or are things that much faster?

SATA 6G = 6000/8 = 750GBs
RAID 0 is parallel writing/reading to two drives at same time across stripes
You are seeing the total transfer
Benchmark is correct

I have a sabertooth X79 for a new pc I just build. A friend helped with picking everything out. I installed to hard drives, a ssd and WD 2tb internal. I also have an LG Blu-ray writer. The SSD drive shows up fine and is always accessible. the other two, the Blu-ray and WD drive are almost always missing and windows can't find them. They show up in the bios, and I've tried moving them to different slots but they only show up rarely, and never together and disappear again soon after.

I tried the folder options to make sure, but they still do not show up. When I ran the window help application, is stated it could not detect a cd/blu-ray drive.

For the hard drive, I went through the process of formatting, and even placed multiple files on it. When I restarted the pc, it was no longer detectable. One of the times it randomly showed up again, the files were still there.

try unplugging the BRD
some dont detect well like the Pioneers
It may be taking too long to detect, losing the HDD
(Also depends heavily on what bios you are running)

You can also set "keep current" on boot page, not force bios, so that bios will always go to first boot device and no others.

Would also use the ASUS black/white SATA 6G cables

Does your PSU have an 8 pin Aux 12V?

Are the 8 pin and 24 pin power plugs all the way down?

What PSU in use? Some of the Corsair AX models have cold boot issues

Since you are new, you should really put ALL your equip in a sig - its a big help to others

lots to check and put in here. I will do all of it, and put my specs in tomorrow. I appreciate the help very much.

Ok, I went with the black and white ASUS cables, that solved the BRD issue, unfortunately, the mother board only has two white slots, and I'm using the SSD on the other. I put the cable for the WD hard drive in both the brown and black slots, and it still does not detect it.

my specs are as follows:
Computer Specs:
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3820 CPU @3.60GHz

BG.SKILL Trident X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model

ASUS Sabertooth X79 LGA 2011 Intel X79 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

EVGA SuperClocked 02G-P4-2662-KR GeForce GTX 660 2GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

OCZ Vertex 3 Low Profile 7mm Series VTX3LP-25SAT3-240G 2.5" 240GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Rosewill RNX-N300X PCI Wireless Adapter

CORSAIR HX Series HX750 750W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

LG Black 14X BD-R 2X BD-RE 16X DVD+R 5X DVD-RAM 12X BD-ROM 4MB Cache SATA BDXL Blu-Ray Burner with SW, 3D Play Back - BH14NS40

Western Digital WD Black WD2002FAEX 2TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

The top 2 ports on mobo = brown = Intel SATA 6G
The middle four ports on mobo = black = Intel SATA 3G
The bottom 2 ports on mobo = grey = Marvel 6G
(Marvel controller turned on in bios and drivers loaded while in Win 7)

The SSD should be on top brown port Intel 6G (O/S)
The BRD should be on lower black second pair of Intel 3G ports (Intel port 6) with no hot plug and AHCI set in bios for Intel SATA
You can put the WD on one of the other Intel Black ports
You dont want to use Marvel ports (grey) unless you have to - they suck
Depending on bios you need to install Intel RSTe drivers 3002003 or higher
Latest is 3501101
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&keyword="Intel+Rapid+Storage+Technology"
Latest driver may not load with older bios.

You once again say "bare drive"
You cant see a bare drive in Win 7
Do you have the SSD loaded with O/S?
Are you booting into Windows now?
Turn off full screen logo in bios and reboot and see if WD is showing (detected by bios) during DMI (black screen info) during boot?
Where did you buy WDC 1TB - it may be DOA

Raja thanks for a great year of your support here for us ASUS X79 mobo owners.

Please PM me your manager's email. I would like to send them an email telling them, that I always recommend ASUS mobos, because you are here at [H] actively supporting us.

Have a great and prosperous 2013.

SpeedyVV

PS: Raja, are you real individual or some sort of automated aimbot person?

Raja thanks for a great year of your support here for us ASUS X79 mobo owners.

Please PM me your manager's email. I would like to send them an email telling them, that I always recommend ASUS mobos, because you are here at [H] actively supporting us.

Have a great and prosperous 2013.

SpeedyVV

PS: Raja, are you real individual or some sort of automated aimbot person?

Thanks. Happy New Year.

It is my account - so all responses are from me. We are a team here however, Cl-Scott, Gary Key ( is our marketing manager and a member here) and myself.

Cisco Guy is one of the forum users here that helps people as well off his own back - credit to him as he helps out a lot.

-Raja

Last edited:
BIG PROBLEM!! so i picked up corsair dominator gt 16 gb 2133 stick 4 for a total of 64 gb. the mobo i have is the asus p9x79pro. has anyone had issues with using 16gb sticks ?? if so how did you fix it or should i just try to sell it and by a different kit..

no i have had these for a while but just been busy finally got around to sticking them in today

this is what i have 4 sticks of

http://www.corsair.com/us/memory-by-product-family/dominator/dominator-gt-with-dhx-pro-connector-1-5v-16gb-dual-channel-ddr3-memory-kit-cmt16gx3m4x2133c9.html

BIG PROBLEM!! so i picked up corsair dominator gt 16 gb 2133 stick 4 for a total of 64 gb. the mobo i have is the asus p9x79pro. has anyone had issues with using 16gb sticks ?? if so how did you fix it or should i just try to sell it and by a different kit..

no i have had these for a while but just been busy finally got around to sticking them in today

this is what i have 4 sticks of

http://www.corsair.com/us/memory-by-product-family/dominator/dominator-gt-with-dhx-pro-connector-1-5v-16gb-dual-channel-ddr3-memory-kit-cmt16gx3m4x2133c9.html

That's a 16GB kit made up of 4X4GB modules - not 64GB.

Have you set the XMP profile in UEFI?

Which UEFI version are you running?

i wish i didnt make sense and i wish the post didnt but the info is right, they are the right sticks. you are reading it wrong. each stick says 16gb (4x4gb) right on the stick. i believe each stick is quad channel all by its self. i did try the xmp profile it just bumped up the speed.

this is my bios
P9X79 PRO BIOS 3305 2013.01.10 update

picture of the ram
https://www.dropbox.com/s/vf1ta1ta4iutfv4/20130113_021739.jpg

well, you prob know more about this stuff than me and Raja
So if you are happy, then so am I
Have a nice day (with your 64GB RAM kit)

4x4GB means 4 sticks of 4GBs each, 16GBs total. 64GBs of 4x16GB sticks at 2133mhz would cost over a grand IF it were even available.. Nowhere on that corsair page does it say "64GBs", the wording may be confusing to you if you aren't familiar with these things, but trust us it's only a 16GB kit.

It even says at the bottom of that page:
16GB total capacity provides ample headroom for the most demanding user

It also says "Size: 16GBs (4x4GBs)" in the tech specs of that item's page.

Last edited:
i wish i didnt make sense and i wish the post didnt but the info is right, they are the right sticks. you are reading it wrong. each stick says 16gb (4x4gb) right on the stick. i believe each stick is quad channel all by its self. i did try the xmp profile it just bumped up the speed.

this is my bios
P9X79 PRO BIOS 3305 2013.01.10 update

picture of the ram
https://www.dropbox.com/s/vf1ta1ta4iutfv4/20130113_021739.jpg

It is a 16GB kit my friend. Each stick is 4GB and you have four. The XMP profile should increase the speed.

Do you have any other issues you need help with or was your problem simply believing you had a 64GB kit instead of a 16GB one? I can understand you might be new to this, we all started somewhere so don't think about it too much. Did you actually need 64GB of memory for the system?

-Raja

Hi,

Yesterday I bought an ASUS Rampage IV Formula in which I installed this hardware:
- Intel Core i7 3820
- Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR3 2133 CL9
- Corsair Neutron GTX 240Gb
- WD RE4 2TB
- AMD Radeon HD7970
- X-Fi Titanium HD

After put all my hardware, the system didn't detected any SATA device in Intel controller (on SATA2 or SATA3 ports) (on AsMedia works fine). I upgraded the BIOS to the latest one, but I got the same result. Also, I clear the CMOS without luck.

I tried to remove all case USB cables, X-Fi, and all extra hardware leaving only the basic for boot, also removed the mobo from the chasis. The same result.

In BIOS I set on AHCI mode, I tried in RAID but I got the same result.

Do you think that I'm missing something? or I should return it to the supplier? (I've got 5 days). I think that the only thing I didn't do is to remove the mouse (Steelseries XAI) or remove and install the processor again. (the processor is fine, it works perfectly with my previous GB mobo).

Thanks in advance!

Try some different SATA cables and see if it helps. Were the HDDs you are using ever part of a RAID array?

Do try without the steelseries Xai as well - known issue mouse with UEFI.

If that does not help, check the CPU socket for any bent pins (should not cause this but you never know). Also, try with one memory module only as well - just in case something quirky going on during detection.

-Raja

Hi Raja,

First of all, thanks for you fast response.

Regarding the problem, I tried with different SATA cables (including the ones that comes with the motherboard and other ones). The HDDs don't have any RAID. Anyway I tried with only one HDD, the SSD or a simple DVD-ROM connection without luck.

Regarding the CPU socket I think that it's perfect (I'm watching it now, and I can't see anything bad). About the Steelseries I've just remembered that in one of the tests it wasn't connected.

I tried with only one RAM module and worked fine, anyway the modules were working fine with my old X79-UD7. Anyway I'll try with one Mushkin module I have, for be sure.

I've pushed the CMOS Clear button for one minute and I've removed the battery from the mobo, I'll try in a few hours, but I've got real doubts about it will work.

Thanks!

No probs. It is strange to have an entire block of ports not registering a drive is all. If troubleshooting is of no help then RMA is the only choice.

Raja, I have a small problem with fan control and thermal radar...

I recently installed windows 8 and it went fine except for this minor issue. When I installed thermal radar the fans spined down to 40% as I wanted. However if I reboot the computer or start it up cold after I log in the fans will spin up to 60% and stay there until I press apply on the chassis fan 1 screen.

The red circle is where the fan is after login the red "x" is where it should be (see pic at bottom of post). If I hit apply it will go to the set level no problem. The odd thing is only chassis 1 fan does this. none of the other fans ramp up like that.

Also note that I installed the latest BIOS last night as well.

thermal%20radar.png

A couple of things from HQ on this:

1. Are you using the latest build of AiSuite II?
2. Did you change the ASUSFanControl service from the default immediate to delay launch by any chance?

-Raja

Last edited:
Back