Asus P5B Deluxe

Does anyone know if the bugs are worked out of this board with the latest bios. I hard that some people were having trouble with storage drives on the IDE micron chipset, among other various things. Is this still one of the best boards for the Core 2 Duo? What about ram issues? I heard the board is also picky about ram at this point.

Mine has been working just fine. Haven't had any of those issues. I'm using the latest bios and am very happy with this mobo.

The IDE solution has been found and it's actually the crazy-ass drivers Asus provides for it. If you simply use the default Windows IDE drivers, everything works just like a native IDE port.
In terms of the board, I'd say it's excellent. I've been running a 6700 Conroe on it for 2 weeks and have had almost no issues (sans the lousy IDE drivers Asus gives you).
I haven't used any of the other Conroe mobos, but compared to my older unstable and hot running P4 boards, this things is 100X better.

civic00typer said:
What brand memory are you running with that?

I'm running Corsair XMS2. No issues at all, although I'm not an overclocker...but might dabble with it at some point.
I've tried others over the years and I'm convinced that even if they're more expensive, I'll take Corsair and Mushkin over the others.

The P5B I received for testing (which was a retail board BTW) didn't give me any issues. Though I had some trouble with my Windows XP SP1 CD and getting the OS Installed. I then switched to a copy that had SP2 slipstreamed into the installation and it worked fine.

I posted this in another place but this topic seems alot more proper so please excuss the double post. I heard Crossfire with this board is picky? Anyone have any experiences with Xfire with this board. If so how was it? I plan on doing X1900XT Crossfire by the end of the year with this board.

The P5B Deluxe does not support Crossfire. It lacks dual PCI-Express x16 slots. The second slot has the mechanical form factor of a PCIe x16 slot, but operates only at x1 speeds. This is insufficient for Crossfire or SLI support.

Damn, I didnt even notice it was only a x1 slot.

Lol, I thought this was the 975x mobo. It the 965. Big mistake on my part. I was thinking of the P5W DH Deluxe.

Dan_D said:
The P5B Deluxe does not support Crossfire. It lacks dual PCI-Express x16 slots. The second slot has the mechanical form factor of a PCIe x16 slot, but operates only at x1 speeds. This is insufficient for Crossfire or SLI support.
yah, the other slots are 4x or 1x. Since I won't be buying any other pciX cards any time soon, i'm not too worried about it.

what about the double reboot issue people are having on overclocked machines

has that been fixed yet

I have that sometimes, and I am at default stock speeds. Don't think it's due to OCing at all.

Keetha said:

I noticed that. I also read an interesting article on PCIe peer to peer writes, which is all that is required to use Crossfire or SLi on a technical level. The dongle and bridge are really only for video signal pass-through so as not to further saturate the PCIe bus.

Though that only matters on the high end cards. Now I wonder if the x1 or x4 bandwidth that the second slot has on the P5B would actually hurt performance. I am especially curious about this when the dongle is not in use.

Back