ASUS P5B: New BIOS Adds Unlocking & Improved Overclocking

I see the option to change it in the BIOS on the P5B vanilla with the 309 BIOS. It's also available with the AI Booster. CPU ratio goes from 6 to 29.

Is this for real? When did this bios come out? I am so jealous....my MSI board is still on a beta bios for a week now. :(

So let me confirm this......This new bios only works on the "deluxe" version?

Sc0ttFern said:
Is this for real? When did this bios come out? I am so jealous....my MSI board is still on a beta bios for a week now. :(

So let me confirm this......This new bios only works on the "deluxe" version?

From reading the article, yes, only the deluxe as of now, but it read that the editors are hopeful that this 'trick' will be used in the 975 chipsets as well in which case they (should) see even better results.

I don't understand all the negativity of 'it's already been done' above; I was unaware that any other board could run the processors at more than 1 'below normal' multiplier...I'm pretty sure that I'm right on that too.

How does the single IDE channel work? I have a DVD burner that still uses IDE. Ordered myself one of these 10 minutes ago. :)

Wow those OCs are sexy, but Goddamn ASUS ignoring the Vanilla =(

$200+ is too much... still waiting...

Sc0ttFern said:
How does the single IDE channel work? I have a DVD burner that still uses IDE. Ordered myself one of these 10 minutes ago. :)

The single IDE channel sucks hard. It causes my system to be really chunky whenever it is being accessed. I'm happy I have a SATA burner in my system too, I've basically totally ditched using my IDE drive because it makes the system unbareable. It looks like it is a driver issue, so knowing asus it will be resolved shortly.

Sc0ttFern said:
Is this for real?

Very much so. Here is a pic of my P5B Deluxe:

unlocked.jpg

dark_reign said:
I see the option to change it in the BIOS on the P5B vanilla with the 309 BIOS. It's also available with the AI Booster. CPU ratio goes from 6 to 29.

You have a vanilla P5B and your Conroe unlocks upwards?

:eek: :eek: :eek:

xFlankerx said:
You have a vanilla P5B and your Conroe unlocks upwards?

:eek: :eek: :eek:

I'm not even sure it's enabled, but it shows it in the BIOS. Here's a capture of AI Booster:

asus_p5b.jpg

Wait so thats on a Vanilla? Have you tried to use it? Does it work or is that menu just for show?

Getting sick of waiting, P5B is looking better and better...

This BIOS is for the Vanilla

For those considering a new Conroe board, the already desirable P5B has just moved to the head of the 965P class. The only feature missing now is support for CrossFire video configurations, which remains an advantage of the 975X for gaming enthusiasts.

I don't even care about the unlocked multipliers (downwards atleast). If you look at AT's chart near the end, the highest overclock for each processor was at it's stock multiplier.

I just care about that ridiculous 525Mhz FSB. A 3.68Ghz E6300...jeez.

Phazedplasma said:
This BIOS is for the Vanilla

For those considering a new Conroe board, the already desirable P5B has just moved to the head of the 965P class. The only feature missing now is support for CrossFire video configurations, which remains an advantage of the 975X for gaming enthusiasts.

I read that too but I thought the whole article was about the Deluxe. I took that sentence to mean they were just too lazy to write out the word "Deluxe." On the first page of the article it says:

The new 0507 BIOS for the P5B Deluxe, dated 8/10/2006, has two new and exciting features

and they dont mention anything about the vanilla or the latest 309 BIOS for that board. So dark_reign we need your confirmation plz.

And I agree with Flanker - the multipliers are nice I guess, but Im more interested in that ridiculous FSB.

I wish I had a conroe to test it out... I have Pentium D 805 overcooked on the P5B vanilla...

But the newest bios 0309 does include all the features that is included on P5B deluxe bios...

brom42 said:
Very much so. Here is a pic of my P5B Deluxe:

unlocked.jpg

This shows it's only unlocked down. 9 is the default multiplier. My DS3 had this option from the day I booted it up.

I'm waiting for the proof: a BIOS screenshot that shows mults higher than the default and a CPU-Z screenshot showing a proc actually running at a higher mult. Oh, and proof the proc isn't an ES. Until then this is still BS.

From the article:
ASUS tells us that many Core 2 Duo chips also unlock upwards, but the upper limit is around a 14X multiplier with those chips that do unlock in both directions.

Now that's what I want to see or hear or feel :p

bassman said:
This shows it's only unlocked down. 9 is the default multiplier. My DS3 had this option from the day I booted it up.

I'm waiting for the proof: a BIOS screenshot that shows mults higher than the default and a CPU-Z screenshot showing a proc actually running at a higher mult. Oh, and proof the proc isn't an ES. Until then this is still BS.

Exactly. I was just confirming the fact that you can adjust the multiplyer and the fact that it has a locked range. (9-6)

dark_reign said:
I'm not even sure it's enabled, but it shows it in the BIOS. Here's a capture of AI Booster:

http://www.ritasever.com/images/asus_p5b.jpg

As far as AIBooster goes. Mine also shows all of the multiplyers. I tried setting mine to 10 but as the help section in the picture of my BIOS says, if an invalid multiplyer is set, then the actual and setpoint values may be different. My AIBooster even sat there and said it the multiplyer was 10; but guess what, it stayed at 9.

**edit**

Here is a pic of what I mean:

Ai Booster says I have a mutiplyer of 10, but it is actually still sitting at it's default 9.
multi.jpg

is that new interface avaliable only for p5b owners or can others download the asus ai suite?
is there hope that maybe the unlock of multipliers will also be avaliable for non-conroe chips?

wow, their site is driving me nuts, when i got my board i went to the 0507, then i went to 0502 beta, now i'd like to try 0507 again and i can't find it on the site...ah well i found it now, by changing 0405 to 0507... i'd like to see this

After looking in the BIOS on my P5B non-deluxe it shows that the multiplier can be adjusted from 6 to 8 on my E6400. Everything else is locked out. I'm only doing light overclocking with this board, but some people are getting high overclocks with it. One thing holding it back is that it doesn't have the 8-phase power that the deluxe version has. If I were planning on taking my E6400 to 3 GHz+ I'd definitely get the deluxe board for better stability.

dexx said:
Hmm an E6400 running at 8x450 on a P5B sounds very tempting...

Youre talking about the Anandtech article right? That article was on a Deluxe though. The question no one seems to have a definitive answer to is "does it work on a Vanilla?" Thats all thats keeping a lot of people from pulling the trigger and buying one right now I think.

Several people have found the same overclockability with the vanilla version with the new BIOS 0309 installed.
They are reaching 500+ FSB.
There are several post in other forums talking about it.
One thing I didn't see, even if the article in anandtech talks about it, was rainsing the multiplyer in BIOS for the conroe working.
I have seen several peoplo talking about it, but no BIOS pics with the multy raised.
That is what is interesting me, because my rig with E6400 and a P5B vanilla is arriving at the end of this week, i'm really excited.

Santroph said:
Several people have found the same overclockability with the vanilla version with the new BIOS 0309 installed.
They are reaching 500+ FSB.
There are several post in other forums talking about it.

Ooo links please!

9mmx19 said:
Youre talking about the Anandtech article right? That article was on a Deluxe though. The question no one seems to have a definitive answer to is "does it work on a Vanilla?" Thats all thats keeping a lot of people from pulling the trigger and buying one right now I think.

Vanilla can't do RAID (in a normal way...it uses the external SATA with the internal; gheyed); so I wrote that off and I don't really care anyway. I'll always want at least the option (though I won't be doing RAID for a while I intend on building a RAID 10 array (0+1 with 2 disks) later)) so I wrote off the vanilla.

Still nothing I've read about the vanilla in fact the bios for the vanilla doesn't say it supports this feature. BIOS 507 DOES say it supports this for the wi-fi edition which I got for 219 (great price I think...yes, I'm happy about that!).

I think we'll see it for the vanilla though, in a matter of time, ASUS is pushing forward with their bios and have a history of strong support & innovation with their product, that's why I felt confident getting an ASUS board despite the ABIT not yet being out...I know I have a good product and I'm ready now.

Cheers.

dark_reign said:
After looking in the BIOS on my P5B non-deluxe it shows that the multiplier can be adjusted from 6 to 8 on my E6400. Everything else is locked out. I'm only doing light overclocking with this board, but some people are getting high overclocks with it. One thing holding it back is that it doesn't have the 8-phase power that the deluxe version has. If I were planning on taking my E6400 to 3 GHz+ I'd definitely get the deluxe board for better stability.

I agree totally. Thanks for helping me with your thoughts, that phase power info helped me to choose the ASUS over the gigabyte which I almost pulled the trigger on. Hopefully the ASUS will also support kentfield. I read it's unlikely the gigabyte Ds3 will support kentfield because it only has 3 phase cooling (plus I would have had to install an after market cooling for the NB which runs hot).

I'll post once I get my system running, it should SMOKE and will be based of the wifi + e6400 combo (and my memory will be...pause...gskill ddr2 800HZ blah blah....should be able to handle 1000+ FSB no problem). With a raptor boot drive and some super fast SATA perpendicular seagate HD's for backup (and a thermaltake typhoon for cooling in a antec SOLO case) I'm thinking this things gonna burn stuff up....

too bad I don't game much, lol.

Hi there, I'm new on this forum for postign but i do visit regularly. I have a P5B Vanilla with an e6600 and i cna confirm it can clock downwards (9x-6x) with the 309 bios.

I have my new P5B Deluxe all setup and running great, but I have one last issue. I cannot figure out a way to boot to a DOS prompt and flash to the new bios.

1) My suspicion is that my floppy drive won't read ANY floppy. (broken floppy?)
2) I do not have a USB thumb drive.

Now what? I tried my CD bootdisk but when I get to the dos prompt it won't recognize ANY of my hard drives?

Instead of posting the same question on every forum on the planet, read your manual... It's pretty damn simple! :rolleyes:

pcdoc1 said:
Instead of posting the same question on every forum on the planet, read your manual... It's pretty damn simple! :rolleyes:

I hope that wasn't directed at me.

Sc0ttFern said:
I have my new P5B Deluxe all setup and running great, but I have one last issue. I cannot figure out a way to boot to a DOS prompt and flash to the new bios.

1) My suspicion is that my floppy drive won't read ANY floppy. (broken floppy?)
2) I do not have a USB thumb drive.

Now what? I tried my CD bootdisk but when I get to the dos prompt it won't recognize ANY of my hard drives?

I bought a 512 flash disc for 15 bucks at best buy the other day (20 instant rebate!) for flashing, so no more floppy for me thank you. If you can get into ezflash in the bios you should be able to flash that way, or if you are in windows use the software ASUS gives you to flash the bios from there.

Mystic-Micro said:
Hi there, I'm new on this forum for postign but i do visit regularly. I have a P5B Vanilla with an e6600 and i cna confirm it can clock downwards (9x-6x) with the 309 bios.
Can you post your overclocking experience with this board?

Back