Asus P5E-VM HDMI: best matx ever?

Yes, the NT-06 Lite "fits" on the P5E-VM HDMI. That's what I'm using right now. You'll have to cut solder joints that get in the way of the mounting plate that you attach to the underside of the motherboard though, which isn't difficult at all.

Could you take apart your PC and show me what I have to do? lol, j/k I should be fine with getting it to fit. I do have some questions though....

What kind of temps are you getting with the NT-06?
you using a 120mm fan?
If so, which fan and is it mounted to the top or the bottom?
Which direction is the fan blowing?
How do you have the heatsink oriented?

Sorry for all the questions, but you are my only source of info. Any other pertinent info you can share with me would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Just as a follow up, my listed configuration has been rock solid. I've been running the q6600 @ 8x333 with my memory at 1000mhz and it's a tank. That said, i can not get anything to work in the pci slot. It's as if nothing is plugged in. So far i've tried both my x-fi fatality, audigy 2 zs, and a pci modem, and none are detected at all. Is this the same problem the others are having with their x-fi's, or is my pci slot totally dead?

i just got my p5e-vm hdmi in the mail yesterday and have been working on building/tweaking my rig. don't have everything ironed out yet, and havn't tried getting my x-fi fatality to work yet, but i will give updates on how that goes. Currently my build is as follows:

P5E-VM HDMI
Q6600 B3 under a Thermaltake Big Typhoon
2x2gb gskill pc8000
EVGA 8800gts 640
4x WD raptor 36gb drives in RAID 0
Asus 18x sata dvd+-RW
and a seagate 500gb 7200.10 sata

in the stock bios there was an option to disable speedstep, which appears to be gone in the latest (0405) bios. Can anyone else confirm this, or was it moved somewhere and i'm just not seeing it?

Could you take apart your PC and show me what I have to do? lol, j/k I should be fine with getting it to fit. I do have some questions though....

What kind of temps are you getting with the NT-06?
you using a 120mm fan?
If so, which fan and is it mounted to the top or the bottom?
Which direction is the fan blowing?
How do you have the heatsink oriented?

Sorry for all the questions, but you are my only source of info. Any other pertinent info you can share with me would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I'll have to answer the temperature question later on when I have temp. monitoring software installed. I'm not using any fan on the NT06 Lite. I'm running my stuff in a SilverStone SG03. The PSU's fan + the two intake fans on the front seem to be doing their jobs well. The fan on the PSU is sucking air from the inside of the case and blowing it out. My NT-06 is on there w/ its heatpipes facing the RAM like in this pic.:

SG03-9.jpg

That said, i can not get anything to work in the pci slot. It's as if nothing is plugged in. So far i've tried both my x-fi fatality, audigy 2 zs, and a pci modem, and none are detected at all. Is this the same problem the others are having with their x-fi's, or is my pci slot totally dead?

The problem people (including me) is having with X-Fi is that the system locks up during POST (freezes during the NVRAM check). This happens with the new 0405 BIOS. The X-Fi works fine on the previous BIOS. Unfortunately, there is no easy way to go back.
If you can get past POST, then you have a different problem.

The problem people (including me) is having with X-Fi is that the system locks up during POST (freezes during the NVRAM check). This happens with the new 0405 BIOS. The X-Fi works fine on the previous BIOS. Unfortunately, there is no easy way to go back.
If you can get past POST, then you have a different problem.

If I disable the onboard sound, then it does indeed hang as described. However, leaving it enabled it works fine, but nothing at all can be detected in that pci slot. I was curious if anyone has gotten anything working in that slot, or if people have only tried x-fi's, and thus assumes it's an x-fi problem.

I am going to pick up one of these tomorrow, I've been slowly buying pieces for a SFF build and now that the E8400's are available I'm going to jump on this.

This board is also available at Fry's B&M now. Don't know how long it's been available, but i saw plenty of them at the Arlington, TX Fry's. A lo of them looked like they had been returned though, not sure why.

There were a bunch at my Fry's too. Most of them were still sealed and had those white, plastic straps that wrap around the boxes.

Hello,

I just got this board and have everything running.

I was wondering if anyone has any luck with getting AHCI to work with standalone sata drives (not raid)?

I have this running with the Intel Matrix Storage manager but my sata drives are still not not swappable...I can't confirm whether NCQ is working but I can care less.

I'm running this on Vista Ultimate.

can some one tell me which one of these would be the best at playing mild games video editing and just using? for this asus board? not much of a over clocker but i think that i might have to get into this if it makes it better. great area and lots to read thanks for this thread.

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor

Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 Conroe 3.0GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor

i usually play cod4 and others like it

please help:D

If you're going to be doing video editing/rending/encoding etc, then the quad should be better if the programs you're using support multiple CPU cores.

i do believe that it does i mean that the unlead video studio 11 pro says enjoy with intel core 2 duo. thanks for the info. does the quad core help that much with the gaming?

Hey guys
do u have the problem.....when i first turn on the power to the PSU...then try to turn on the computer....LEDs and fans power up for 1second....stops....then 3-5 seconds later it powers up again...every time i turn off the PSU it happens...but after that...its normal

2nd problem is im having the comp freeze 70% of the time when trying to reboot/shut down....mouse, keyboard, fans, led are all one except it gets no signal is detected by the monitor(BLACK SCREEN!!!!.....BLACK SCREEN OF DEATH!!!!:eek::eek::eek:).

current specs are

Corsair HX520 PSU
E2160 overclocked to 3.0ghz 1.525V
Corsair TWIN2X2048-6400 1.9V
XFX 8600GT
Vista
BIOS 0405

@ iceboi714:

Look up previous postings in this threat.
---------------------------------------------------------

i.e. page 7 / # 126:
does anybody have problems with bios 0301? Since i have it my pc freezed during eyery restart i made. Normal start was no problem only restart. Now i have 0202 again and the failure seems to be gone...

page 12 / # 230:
Mine came with 0301 and I have some problem when restarting sometimes. After restart it will stay on a black screen. I have to switch off/on again. Sometimes it prompt me with last overclocking was bad then press F1 to enter setup and I only have to enter and save (so same settings) and it restart fine.

It also happened once from a cold start in the morning.

page 12 / # 232:

That´s exactly the same what happens with my board and bios 0301. Even this overclocking failure. I tried it 4-5 times to install 0301. First thought there was a problem during installation because the first restart after installing doesn´t work. With bios 0202 I don´t have such problems. And the cold start works too.

page 12 / # 233:

I had this same problem with my gigabyte G33.

page 12 / # 235:

I have two Asus P5E-VM HDMI setups, one with an ATI 3870 and one with an Nvidia 8800 Ultra. Both are intermediately giving me the “black screen” problem, it seems to be doing it more on the ATI setup.

I had a Gigabyte GA-G33M-DS2R setup going before switching over the Asus G35 board and never experienced this problem with the Gigabyte board.

page 12 / # 236:

no issue with bios 0202 & 8800 GTS 512: not any "black screen" on boot!

page 12 / # 239:

Maybe you can this, I wrote this in another forum but got no reply.

I tried to play with CPU voltage damper. Just enter the BIOS and change it's value (no matter what) and then F10 to save & exit. I get a black screen, need to reboot and enter the BIOS to do the F10 again.

But when I changed the CPU voltage I got a proper reset and booted fine. So some value do like a soft reset that hand and some do a hard reset with proper procedure.

ect

@ all Hardforum fans:

Just for you to remember:

Q6600 (Kentsfield) = 65nm / 4 Cores / 2.4GHz / FSB 1066 / 8MB L2 Cache / TDP 95W
Q9450 (Yorkfield) = 45nm / 4 Cores / 2.67GHz / FSB 1333 / 12MB L2 Cache / TDP 95W

E8400 (Wolfdale) = 45nm / 2 Cores / 3.0GHz / FSB 1333 / 6MB L2 Cache / TDP 65W

The Q9450 is not out yet. Should we get the Q6600 or the E8400 ?
Maybe a question of personal preference.
I personally like the fact that the Wolfdale runs cooler and is still a powerful beast.
Since the GPU does most of the 3D job anyway, I will go for the E8400 over the Q6600.

I know that many people in different forums are getting carried away for the one or the other CPU. But I say, there is no definite answer. A small advantage doesn't justify an expensive desicion.

Just think 5 years back. There was not even the slightest idea about multicore.
The more I go back in time, I'm more than surprised what sh*t I was willing to put up with to make PC a faithful hobby to enjoy.

Compared to today where we have good power multi core CPUs & GPUs, USB socket has become standard, Solid State will replace our noisy hard drives in the next 2 to 3 years,
Windows XP and Vista are sophisticated, intelligent and reliable, the floppy (thanks God) has died to the advantage of memory sticks, ect
I could go on and on about the improvements, happened over the past years.

Oh, and look where we come from:

Pentium 4 (Willamette) / release end of 2000 / from 1.4 GHz / 180 nm !! / socket 423 + 478 / 256KB Cache
Pentium 4 (Northwood) / released beginning of 2002 / from 1.6 GHz / 512 KB Cache
Pentium 4 (Prescott) / released 1st Feb 2004 / 90 nm !! / LGA 775

Will say, you almost can't do much wrong.

Think about all these people who are only able to buy complet PCs from Dell, PC World & Co.
These people have no idea what we're talking about. They just buy a PC by the looks of the Case and the Keyboard / Mouse.
They are easily deceived by the adverts of the big companies ... they don't know it better.

So if you still thinking about what CPU to get ... trust your instinct more.
Is being up-to-date important to you and do you like your PC to run quiet ?
E8400 is the answer.
Are you a speed freak who overclocks after breakfast ?
The Q6600 is nice too ... until the Q9450 is out ;)

Well...has anyone tested the new BIOS 0405 and still have the problem..or am i the only one?

E8xxx RULE!!! new job....looking into it even though i just built the previous.....:D:D:D

Hey guys
do u have the problem.....when i first turn on the power to the PSU...then try to turn on the computer....LEDs and fans power up for 1second....stops....then 3-5 seconds later it powers up again...every time i turn off the PSU it happens...but after that...its normal

2nd problem is im having the comp freeze 70% of the time when trying to reboot/shut down....mouse, keyboard, fans, led are all one except it gets no signal is detected by the monitor(BLACK SCREEN!!!!.....BLACK SCREEN OF DEATH!!!!:eek::eek::eek:).

current specs are

Corsair HX520 PSU
E2160 overclocked to 3.0ghz 1.525V
Corsair TWIN2X2048-6400 1.9V
XFX 8600GT
Vista
BIOS 0405

I had the one second turn on then the normal power up too, but I'm not sure what caused it. I don't think it was turning on the PSU power tho, it was when my overclocking FAILed and it was resetting them I think. I'll try the PSU thing when I get home. I'm sure this is due to overclocking. If you run it stock, you shouldn't have this problem.

As far as the freezing, I'm not sure what would be causing it, but your Vcore is way too high. Are you sure your chip really needs 1.525v? Just for 3ghz? You shouldn't need more than 1.3-1.4 v, and 1.4v should give you more than 3 ghz.

The "Black screen of death" usually means your overclocking settins aren't working well, which sounds about right with your extremely high Vcore. Drop your Vcore to 1.325V, set your FSB to 333, your multiplier to 9, up your RAM voltage if necessary, set your RAM speed to DDR2-667 and see if that gives your 3 gigs stable. You might need to up the FSB and north bridge voltage if that doesn't work, but you shouldn't need 1.525v for 3ghz.

I had the one second turn on then the normal power up too, but I'm not sure what caused it. I don't think it was turning on the PSU power tho, it was when my overclocking FAILed and it was resetting them I think. I'll try the PSU thing when I get home. I'm sure this is due to overclocking. If you run it stock, you shouldn't have this problem.

As far as the freezing, I'm not sure what would be causing it, but your Vcore is way too high. Are you sure your chip really needs 1.525v? Just for 3ghz? You shouldn't need more than 1.3-1.4 v, and 1.4v should give you more than 3 ghz.

The "Black screen of death" usually means your overclocking settings aren't working well, which sounds about right with your extremely high Vcore. Drop your Vcore to 1.325V, set your FSB to 333, your multiplier to 9, up your RAM voltage if necessary, set your RAM speed to DDR2-667 and see if that gives your 3 gigs stable. You might need to up the FSB and north bridge voltage if that doesn't work, but you shouldn't need 1.525v for 3ghz.

Oh...well if the black screen is cause by the overclock failing...then it might be the reason for the 1sec power up...cause half of the time was from the overclock failing after getting the black screen and the other half of the PSU issue.

I set the Vcore to 1.525 cause from the article from Toms Hardware Review about the $89 cpu, but when I check the V readings in bios it say its only 1.3x, should i just set it to 1.3vcore...but thanks for the tip TWO515TY...i'll try it out tonite...hopefully it goes well....been troubleshooting this rig for 2 weeks...not much time nowadays since working.....but hey more toys now...:D:D

oh yea...question....when its up and running...i check cpu-z to see the speed....why is it only at 2ghz...idle...and 3ghz...underload...is it always suppoer to be at 3ghz...or is it always like that? the speedstep feature of the cpu in bios ..is off...

Anyone run this board with an 8400 yet? Think of grabbing this board and an 8400 to build me a nice silent SFF setup.

no luck with any overclocking....well get the black screen still....just a bad board maybe?:confused::mad::mad:

Which board would be best the GA-33, GA-35, or the P5E for getting a q6600 to 3ghz on air with a 7700-cu in an sg03.

As far as mobos go all three should get you there but I'm going to guess the newer p5E-VM HDMI will get you there in an easier manner. It has the better FSB OCing from what I been reading. Your main concern is the hsf. I have no personal experience with the 7700 so I cant rightly say. Someone else will need to answer that one.

Edit: I should point out that many users that use the Q6600 mate it up with the DS2R mobo. The DS2R has been around a little while though. I'm still thinking the new P5E-VM HDMI would make it easier since early reports say it OCs higher and higher fsb numbers is important for quad cores OCing.

Alright Peope !

I am so excited :D ... the day I'm gonna order my MONSTER PC is getting closer !!!

Most parts are already decided.

o Motherboard --- Asus P5E- VM HDMI ... there is no alternative.

o CPU --- Intel Core 2 Duo E9400 ... I wished I were patient enough to wait for the Q9450 !!

o Memory --- GeIL 2x2GB PC2-6400C5 800MHz Black Dragon ... should do the trick.

o Graphics Card --- OcUK GeForce 8800 GT 512MB ... the best bang for bucks !!

o HD --- WD 500GB SATA-II 16MB Cache ... until SSD comes down in price.

o PS --- Corsair HX 520 Modular ... heard so much good about it.

o PC Case --- Lian Li PC-A05A ... took a long time to make my mind up.

o CPU Cooler ... this is still difficult for me !! I'll go for either of the following parts:

1) Zalman CNPS8700-NT ... £ 32.89
2) Zalman CNPS7500-ALCU CPU Cooler ... £ 22.31
3) Asus Triton 75 (£ 22.31) with Noctua NF-S12 800RPM 120mm Silent Case Fan (£14.09)

I tend to the Asus Triton 75 one ... but would anyone know if there might be a size issue with the Northbridge Cooler or even with the case ?

Thank you !

why are you getting the pca05 b and a matx mobo when you case can take a full atx case? You can fit a thermalright ultra or a tuniq in that case.

i was wondering if the ultra x connect psu will do me fine? i have one lying around and i can get a 24 pin connector for it.

From my previous F-I90HD, I noticed a worst ping. Anyone else?

I'm really used to play ET on the same server and was always around 45-50 and now I'm in the 65-70.

I guess it's the integrated network card that is different from the F-I90HD one.

i had one other question i notice that some dvd burners and dvd drive have a sata. so that means that we can connect to the SATA port on the board right. is this faster at reading info? and does it down load things fast than a ide cable? thanks for your guys help will have all my stuff tommorrow for ups

ASUS P5E-VM HDMI Mother Board
Q6600 processor
2 gbs or 800 ddr2
two SEGATE 500 gb SATA HDD :D that i have had in my old Comp
and the onboard graffics for now. will get my hd card soon.
And the Window XP pro that i have.
All built for under 600.00

i dont think that is bad at all.

i had one other question i notice that some dvd burners and dvd drive have a sata. so that means that we can connect to the SATA port on the board right. is this faster at reading info? and does it down load things fast than a ide cable? thanks for your guys help will have all my stuff tommorrow for ups

Burners with SATA are no faster than their IDE counterparts. About the only benefits is you won't have to deal with the IDE cable.

First thx for this thread (that was the reason why I choose the p5e-vm hdmi for the new rig)

Symptoms:
- Mobo Led on
- fans/hd/optical start ok
- no video (can only test the vga output now)

Parts:
- p5e-vm hdmi (obviously ;)
- e8400
- Kingmax DDRII 2x1 Go PC8500
- Samsung Spinpoint T166 S-ATA 500G
- Seasonic M12-500

The case has no tweeter and thus I can't diagnose using the beep error codes.

Questions:
- Do you see anything obviously wrong here?
- The pc8500 is not supported on the ASUS site but the 1066 bus is... was I wrong assuming this was just another poorly updated spec?
- Can I boot with a new e8400 with the factory bios (that is not suposed to support 45nm until 307) or should I find a supported older processor just to do a bios update?

Thx for your help... quite frustrating to have the new rig laying there mocking me :)

Olivier

@ neoliv

I plan to get this board and the E8400 too, so I'm very curious if anyone knows something.
Doesn't it say on the box "45nm supported" ?
Have you e-Mailed Asus yet or called Technical Support ?

Asus Technical Support (UK)
Hotline: +886-2-2894-3447 (0800-093-456)

- Can I boot with a new e8400 with the factory bios (that is not suposed to support 45nm until 307) or should I find a supported older processor just to do a bios update?

If it helps, I installed an e8400 on the factory bios without a problem and flashed after it booted (now I have the annoying freeze if the onboard audio is disabled, but that's another subject). I would guess it's your RAM.

@ skinnychciken

you have an E8400 ?
Can you tell us what temperatures you get ?
If the noise of the CPU fan becomes an issue I wonder if underclocking helps, until the active air cooler could be replaced with a passive one ???

And would you guys think these RAM modules are alright ?
GeIL Black Dragon

Thank you :)

@ skinnychciken

you have an E8400 ?
Can you tell us what temperatures you get ?
If the noise of the CPU fan becomes an issue I wonder if underclocking helps, until the active air cooler could be replaced with a passive one ???

And would you guys think these RAM modules are alright ?
GeIL Black Dragon

Thank you :)

Yes, I have an e8400. At stock settings, using my cooler master geminii cooler, I''m getting idle ~20C and load ~32C (according to Core Temp). I have the voltage set manually in the bios to 1.1125, which is the VID for my particular CPU. If CPU voltage is set to AUTO, it sets it too high.

I'm not sure what to tell you about the RAM, I'm using g.skill 2x2gb ddr2-800 at 1.8v without problems.

Yes, I have an e8400. At stock settings, using my cooler master geminii cooler, I''m getting idle ~20C and load ~32C (according to Core Temp). I have the voltage set manually in the bios to 1.1125, which is the VID for my particular CPU. If CPU voltage is set to AUTO, it sets it too high.

I'm not sure what to tell you about the RAM, I'm using g.skill 2x2gb ddr2-800 at 1.8v without problems.

If those temps are correct you are sitting in a verry cold room. ;)

Back