Asus P5E-VM HDMI: best matx ever?

Hum... works in dvi/hdmi mode
I guess my old VGA cable is the culprit.
Thx for your help.

BTW: booted fine with factory bios and e8400

Great job pvhk.

What type of cooling do you have on the 8400?

Are you using the stock ASUS Northbridge cooler?

TIA

vdroop mod done!
Just for fun:
4500.jpg

Eureka, I've found this thread.

Just finished my SFF build on Sunday, January 27. E8400, Asus P5E-VM HDMI, Antec Neo HE550, Samsung SH-S203N, Zerotherm Nirvana, Corsair XMS2 2GB, Seagate 160GB HD, case is a old Ahanix Plasma that I bought but never used. To be installed BFG 8800GT.

Coming from Prescott 3.2, Asus P4C800-E deluxe. Happy Happy Happy

so are there any downsides to this MB? i am thinking of making a new main system and realized i have his huge antec case because i have so many hard drives. but i can cut them down to a couple 750gb drives and be fine. the MB and case are really stumping me on what can OC and still be small.

gigabyte DS2R has done 600FSB on penryn:D

*irony on* Oh my god, this can´t be true!!! 600FSB on a Gigabyte DS2R?? And .... no ... you have a Gigabyte DS2R, too?! Will you be my next hero, please??? *irony off*

@all
sorry for spam - had to be.;)

Having some issues with my new setup.
Runs absolutely awsome, till I play a game...

Crysis, F.E.A.R., COD4 crash minutes after starting game play.

Specs:
Corsair HX620W (volts are good)
P5E-VM HDMI (Flashed newest BIOS:405)
C2D E2180 (2.0Ghz)
G.Skill 2x2Gb DDR-1000
Diamond Iceq3 Turbo 850
Case: Silverstone TJ08 2x120mm fans

Funny thing is, Guild wars and London Hellgate seem to work fine, meaning they haven't crashed on me yet, YET.

System crashes at stock speeds or while O/C'd.
Current settings are: 2.89Ghz
CPU: 8.0x y 1.35v
FSB: 360 (running DDR2-720Mhz)
DDR: 5,5,5,15 2.1v
Northbridge 1.45v

Prime and memtest stable at currect settings.(4hrs)

I use rivatuner to run the GPU fan, as the fan wont change speed with temps.
Temps are all good, loaded: Mobo~32c, CPU~50c, GPU~60c

Tried supplied GPU drivers, 7.12 and 8.1
Running WinXP 32bit all patches and drivers are upto date.

Please help!

Try reverting to stock speeds (save your OC profile first if you don't want to have to re-do your settings) and then playing your games. If they don't crash, then it means your overclock isn't stable and you probably need more voltage somewhere.

Also, that northbridge voltage seems kinda high. I run mine at 10x300, 1.35 vcore and 1.33 north bridge. You could take a little stress of the north bridge by running 9x333 or 10x300.

If your games still crash on stock settings, keep your settings stock, and then run Memtest X86+ (make sure you get the plus version, i don't think the older version works with newer mobo's and CPU's) and make sure you don't get any memory errors.

Just hopped onto the P5E-VM bandwagon...was going to go for the GA-G33M-DS2R but decided to get this at last moment :) Going to run a e6300 overclocked w/ 4x1gb PC2-8500 ballistix. Can't wait!...only problem is I don't have a heatsink that fits in my Antec NSK1300 case

Does anyone have a spare stock heatsink from their 8400's that they aren't using and will part out for cheap??

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article754-page1.html[/URL]

I'm afraid that the Scythe Mini-Ninja will not fit in the NSK1300. I know this because I was using this exact case earlier last month. Unless you're planning on running an external power supply, which would then allow taller heatsinks, you're limited to heatsink/fan combos that are 65mm or less, give or take. I've also seen someone move the 120mm fan to the outside of the case, and refabricated the psu housing to make it more squat, in which case the mini-ninja may then fit.

Zalman makes a few that will fit:
CNPS8700 NT If they're out yet, copper+heat pipes, 4 pin m/b header for auto speed control
CNPS8700 LEDcopper+heatpipes, 3 pin mb header with manual speed adjustment
CNPS7700-Cu LED copper and heavy, 3 pin mb header with manual speed adjustment
CNPS8000 heat pipes, 3 pin mb header with manual speed adjustment

Something to keep in mind that all Zalman fans are really noisy at full speed, silent at their lowest speed, and you will have some real airflow issues getting the heat out of that case. You'll probably need to run them at something other than low to keep the chip cool.

I finally upgraded the psu exhaust fan to a thermaltake adjustable cfm fan and modding a tThermaltake 92mm fan for the zalman heatsink. I ran both speed adjusters to the pci slots so I could tune both for sufficient airflow at low enough noise. the 7700 and the 8700 will hit your left hd if you have one there, so you may need to snip a few fins short so the hd will clear. I also had to use a short pci slot cooler to pull air out and it was still running hot. Also consider snipping that silly grill on the back of the case. There's already a fan guard beneath it.

@ Gestalt73

Hi dude ... does a 4-pin header of a CPU cooler mean it can be speed regulated (in dependance of the temperature) by the BIOS, and a 3-pin header cannot ?

If that is the case I would definately go for the ZalmanCNPS 8700 NT.

Oh, and what about the two PC case fans ? Do they have fixed RPMs or can they have various speeds too, depending on the environment temperature ?

Thank you

Hi,

I have an issue that seems to be pretty common in Vista unfortunately, specifically when waking from sleep mode all I get is black screen. This is whether I power down/up from keyboard or remote or mouse. I hear it power up and everything but that's it. Sleeping works great, fans power down and everything.

Here are my specifications:
Vista x32 (all updated, fresh install)
P5E-VM HDMI (0405 BIOS)
HIS ATI 2600xt running component out to my LCD TV (Catalyst 8.1 drivers)

Here are the things I have tried (separately and in combination with each other):

1. Set the ATI External Event service from Automatic to Manual (essentially shutting it off)
2. Set in the the BIOS to enable VGA BIOS post (or whatever that is called)
3. Set in BIOS for the order of the video cards to be PCI/PEG
4. Tried various sleep modes, S3, S4, S3+4 hybrid all producing same result.
5. Tried the MCE Standby Tool (the latest Beta with updates for Vista)
6. Tried all MS Hotfixes related to this type of issue
7. Tried SP1 RC1

So my question is has anyone else encountered this? Would downgrading to 0301 fix this issue? Does it support the e8400?

I have an issue that seems to be pretty common in Vista unfortunately, specifically when waking from sleep mode all I get is black screen. This is whether I power down/up from keyboard or remote or mouse. I hear it power up and everything but that's it. Sleeping works great, fans power down and everything.
Hmmm, I've had that issue once or twice with another board... Sometimes it just goes black, or the screen comes up with weird resolutions. I don't really now what causes it, but it usually solves itself by putting the machine to sleep again, and powering it up right after.

I know, lame. But it usually works for me.

Cheers.

Miguel

DSC00282.jpg

DSC00279.jpg

DSC00280.jpg

As you can see.. there is no way to fit any type of HSF other than the stock...
or you'll have to mod it like i did...

I just added a second hard drive to my system. My first hard drive is on SATA1 port and the second hard drive is on SATA6 because my Accelero blocks the other SATA ports. When I go into the BIOS, it only lets me have my first hard drive or the second hard drive in the list of bootable devices. I can't seem to get them both in the list of bootable devices. It's either one or the other. Is this a bug? Do any of the new BIOS updates fix this?

When I go into the BIOS, it only lets me have my first hard drive or the second hard drive in the list of bootable devices. I can't seem to get them both in the list of bootable devices. It's either one or the other. Is this a bug?

Nope, I don't think it's a bug (version 0202??). Probably the easiest way to boot off different hard drives is to hit F8 at startup and pick the one you want off the list. The bootable devices thing in the BIOS is more for automatically choosing which of CD/floppy/HDD to boot from (ie. off removable media if they're present). In that context it's a bit redundant to have two hard drives on the list. The F8 thing should be fine though - I've got the same GPU cooler with a Linux disk on one SATA port and Vista on the other.

I don't want to hit F8 everytime I want to boot into XP. I want Vista installed on the first hard drive (the one on SATA1) and XP on the second hard drive (the one on SATA6). Not sure if the Windows boot selection screen will show up / work if only one hard drive appears at a time in the list of bootable devices.

I just added a second hard drive to my system. My first hard drive is on SATA1 port and the second hard drive is on SATA6 because my Accelero blocks the other SATA ports. When I go into the BIOS, it only lets me have my first hard drive or the second hard drive in the list of bootable devices. I can't seem to get them both in the list of bootable devices. It's either one or the other. Is this a bug? Do any of the new BIOS updates fix this?

Just get one of those 90 degree bent Sata cables... that should take care of it..

BTW, there is even one that came with the P5E....

I tried using one of those, but then it blocks the SATA ports right behind which I'm using for an optical drive. It also runs into the USB and front panel headers.

Having some issues with my new setup.
Runs absolutely awsome, till I play a game...

Crysis, F.E.A.R., COD4 crash minutes after starting game play.

Specs:
Corsair HX620W (volts are good)
P5E-VM HDMI (Flashed newest BIOS:405)
C2D E2180 (2.0Ghz)
G.Skill 2x2Gb DDR-1000
Diamond Iceq3 Turbo 850
Case: Silverstone TJ08 2x120mm fans

Funny thing is, Guild wars and London Hellgate seem to work fine, meaning they haven't crashed on me yet, YET.

System crashes at stock speeds or while O/C'd.
Current settings are: 2.89Ghz
CPU: 8.0x y 1.35v
FSB: 360 (running DDR2-720Mhz)
DDR: 5,5,5,15 2.1v
Northbridge 1.45v

Prime and memtest stable at currect settings.(4hrs)

I use rivatuner to run the GPU fan, as the fan wont change speed with temps.
Temps are all good, loaded: Mobo~32c, CPU~50c, GPU~60c

Tried supplied GPU drivers, 7.12 and 8.1
Running WinXP 32bit all patches and drivers are upto date.

Please help!

I ran into this exact same problem.. I had (2) gb's of Corsair Dominator Ram installed in my 680i LT board. I decided to try the G.Skill DDR2-1000 (2x2gb) modules and it booted fine. Ran apps fine. From the very get go, as soon as I started COD4, crash.. bsod.. memory dumps.. etc.. ugh! I know the ram is brand new and everything works fine.. but I have the EXACT same problem you are having.. hmmmmm. found a solution yet?

I have a new Vcore mod for you guys that's way better than the old one and it even lets you raise the voltage up to 1.8 and over... the old one only got to about 1.7 and could cause some coils to give a buzzing sound...

This new one works perfectly and doesn't cause any buzzing and are good enough to fry your CPU if you aren't careful..

I'll post the instructions later on today or tomorrow...

thxs allsop!
in my case, pencil mod done!
now
1.60v bios= 1.57v real---> 1.55v load
before:
1.60v bios=1.55 real---> 1.47v load

Ok here's the new Vcore mod I promised to post...
As usual be very careful when you do this kind of things or you could easily fry your CPU or something else :).

When you start trimming your VR pot start at the lovest value because this mod can feed your CPU with 1.8v and over...

Here it is:

Ok here's the new Vcore mod I promised to post...
As usual be very careful when you do this kind of things or you could easily fry your CPU or something else :).

When you start trimming your VR pot start at the lovest value because this mod can feed your CPU with 1.8v and over...

I can confirm that this works, and it works much better than the previous vdrop mod.
I ended up using a 20K VR, it was what I had lying around.

Now running a true 1.6v (1.6 selected,, 1.6 shown in bios) and running Prime95 Stable at 4Ghz on a Qx9650. without this mod I couldn't get over 1.528 as measured in bios.

I still get a nasty vdroop though, it drops to 1.45 during prime, I suspect quads get more vdroop than dualies at the higher voltages on this board. Is vdroop better on the full sized boards? like the asus maximus series?

After hearing all these stories about how easy it is to get to 4 on a yorkie, I think I got a bum chip. It's a week 39. 4ghz was not that easy for me.

Thanks Allsop!

Alan

I can verify the issue some of you have been having with the resolution resetting on an HDMI disconnect. It happens to me, whenever I switch the TV to a different input, it essentially drops the connection to the computer, and when it gets reconnected, the Intel drivers default to 800x600.

According to a lengthy discussion at the AVS forums, it happens to tons of people and has been acknowledged by Intel, yet it seems that it is a driver deficiency, and there is absolutely nothing we can do about it right now.

I can confirm that this works, and it works much better than the previous vdrop mod.
I ended up using a 20K VR, it was what I had lying around.

Now running a true 1.6v (1.6 selected,, 1.6 shown in bios) and running Prime95 Stable at 4Ghz on a Qx9650. without this mod I couldn't get over 1.528 as measured in bios.

I still get a nasty vdroop though, it drops to 1.45 during prime, I suspect quads get more vdroop than dualies at the higher voltages on this board. Is vdroop better on the full sized boards? like the asus maximus series?

After hearing all these stories about how easy it is to get to 4 on a yorkie, I think I got a bum chip. It's a week 39. 4ghz was not that easy for me.

Thanks Allsop!

Alan

I had a QX9650 v39 that I had to RMA after 2 weeks and today I got a v40, Batch L740B120. I can boot at 4.8 Ghz at 1.8v but it seems slow at whatever speed I choose.

When comparing my former v39 vs v40 at 4.55 Ghz .. v39 gave me better results in bench apps...
Anyway I've ordered a new P5E since I think I might have messed with my old board to much :/

I had a QX9650 v39 that I had to RMA after 2 weeks and today I got a v40, Batch L740B120. I can boot at 4.8 Ghz at 1.8v but it seems slow at whatever speed I choose.

When comparing my former v39 vs v40 at 4.55 Ghz .. v39 gave me better results in bench apps...
Anyway I've ordered a new P5E since I think I might have messed with my old board to much :/

sweet goodness, according to the cpu calc at http://newstuff.orcon.net.nz/wCalc.html
youre cpu is consuming 460 watts with a yorkie at 4800,1.8v. I'm impressed that this board can even supply that!

Yeah, last time I tried, it could hit the bios screen at 4.8, but not much else, although I haven't had the guts to try at 1.8v since the mod.

Now that it's stable at 12x333=4000,1.6v, I think I'll try higher fsb and lower multis to find out if there's a sweet spot. I don't see why I wouldn't be able to hit at least 4200 now.

Also interesting to note is that I can't find stability at 400 fsb, even when the ram is clocked at ddr800.

In a month or so I'm going to try the arctic web 427W tec setup to see if I can go higher at lower temps and volts.

Ok either my MB is screwed or my CPU....
I've disabled speedstep and c1e and tcm or whatever it's called and my CPU still throttles....
I'll try with my new p5e tomorrow to see if it does the same, otherwise I'll RMA my L740 cpu :mad:

Ok either my MB is screwed or my CPU....
I've disabled speedstep and c1e and tcm or whatever it's called and my CPU still throttles....
I'll try with my new p5e tomorrow to see if it does the same, otherwise I'll RMA my L740 cpu :mad:

It's funny you mention that. I was running into a similar issue before the latest voltmod (I just haven't checked it since I applied it)

12x333;4Ghz at higher vcores, I was seeing throttling way below tjunc, maybe 62c or so during prime runs. It wouldn't last long, less than 30 seconds, then it would throttle back up.

I wonder if there are other throttling triggers besides tjunc temp? can the board request it based on reg temps or something?

I'll check tonight when I get home to see if it happens at 1.6v.

12x333;4Ghz at higher vcores, I was seeing throttling way below tjunc, maybe 62c or so during prime runs. It wouldn't last long, less than 30 seconds, then it would throttle back up.

I wonder if there are other throttling triggers besides tjunc temp? can the board request it based on reg temps or something?
AFAIK, throttling temp triggers differ within CPU models. Meaning that a Quad can actually have a lower throttle point than a Dual-core.

Also, do keep in mind that throttling can be triggered by ANY of the CPU cores, and it will affect ALL the cores, so it only takes one of the four cores to hit throttle temperature to the whole CPU to throttle. Perhaps Intel will consider that with Nehalem (independent EIST, CxE, FSB and throttle configurations per core), since that is clearly not possible with the LGA775 socket (well, at least the FSB part, the others could be) without a big change on the VRM and MCH redesign (which is probably not going to happen, LGA775 will probably last another year or so, tops).

Oh, and I think at least on the new VRM specs (which all Penryn-capable boards must follow), the motherboard CAN initiate throttling if it detects overheating on the power regulators or other CPU-relevant parts. That can be your issue.

Cheers.

Miguel

Back