Asus P5E-VM HDMI: best matx ever?

U mean I oced too much on this board?
But everything in the system are stable, just the restart thing...
It seems to be wise to buy a better cpu for turely stable:(
Rhialto:Thanks anyway!

Have you tried things with a lower overclock less than 3.2? Try overclocking to 3.0 and see if its completely normal. If so then slowly overclock upward until problem happens again. Stop at that point and drop it one spot lower on the overclock where the problem doesnt happen and that'll be the ideal overclock for that chip.

U mean I oced too much on this board?
But everything in the system are stable, just the restart thing...
It seems to be wise to buy a better cpu for turely stable:(
Rhialto:Thanks anyway!
No. My E4300 was doing 300FSB x 9 = 2.7GHz no problem and was also able to push it to 3GHz if I really wanted. But at 300FSB with the proper strap to NB you get a DDR2-800 setting available but it was not working... no problem with DDR2-900 also available. Weird but that was it.

I was about to contact ASUS about that but it seems complicated to reach them and I endend up buying an E8400 instead.

How is the integrated video on this baby? Does it cooperate with Linux (Ubuntu 8.04 [H]ardy Heron) well?

;) (yes, the [H] was a joke)
Disclaimer: Linux n00b :p

With Ubuntu 8.04 I had trouble with setting up my monitor (BenQ G2400W 1920x1200) when plugged thru DVI (using HDMI>DVI adapter that comes with board), VGA was no problem it worked at any res. I was getting "input out of range" on my monitor. I eventually managed to get it to work only at 800x600 over DVI. I tried several guides I found on the Ubuntu forums to correctly setup the xorg.conf file, but I guess I wasn't up to it.

So I ordered an HDMI cable (my monitor has an HDMI connection) and that worked out perfectly well without any need to change anything in Ubuntu's configuration. I wanted a digital connection because the output over VGA is slightly blurry.

Other than that I didn't have any other issues. I am using the latest xorg drivers that work for the whole series of built-in Intel graphics (I believe they are already preloaded in 8.04). By the way Ubuntu correctly identifies it as a twin display card, and allows you to clone or extend the desktop over 2 monitors and allows you to determine the monitors position relative to each others (in case your interested in twin display).

--------------------------------------------

Thanx Rhialto & HaxEJxuK for the suggestions, I'll give it another shot over this weekend. Hopefully this time around it'll work :D

Have you tried things with a lower overclock less than 3.2? Try overclocking to 3.0 and see if its completely normal. If so then slowly overclock upward until problem happens again. Stop at that point and drop it one spot lower on the overclock where the problem doesnt happen and that'll be the ideal overclock for that chip.
Never, I will try it later,I just a little bit weird about the in the system stable just restart freeze, sometimes it works. But never mind, at least I get the cheap E2140 goes to 3.4G that high. That's enough for me. I think E8 series will be a good choice.

This is my baby, just show;) I just replace the 8700NT with SI 128 SE. Even with so many Thermalright tower, it still need 2 or 3 12cm fans to get them cool. Now they are in the Lianli V350, I think I must thank this thread for getting my baby ready.

y1pcZoDJGsglEBW0iBoEjFuIY8o8oggjXUzhkR-8PX1GK-k1uWEzi0zYd0BvJvxMuao-xsxkZpmWT0

the northbridge does get a bit toasty. Was there a significant temp change w/ the thermalrite?

the northbridge does get a bit toasty. Was there a significant temp change w/ the thermalrite?

Just replaced, never measured the difference of temp.
It's really hot with 30 degree celsius of the room temperature, will up to 45...
I cannot imagine it with the ASUS heatsink.

Do the "Auto" settings in the BIOS over clocking menu refer to one particular setting/voltage (the lowest?)? or does it mean that the BIOS scales as it sees fit? for example the north/south bridge voltages, FSB termination & PLL voltages.

The reason I'm asking is because I noticed when increasing the FSB with the core voltage left at Auto, that CPU-Z was reporting a higher voltage with each FSB bump (before I could go no further without changing the voltage manually). That's why I'm wondering if maybe all voltages behave similarly. If so then it's probably best to go thru them one by one and find the lowest stable setting.

HaxEJxuK, my Ballistix Tracers' part #'s are with a dot in the middle separating 2 sequences of numbers ... bummer :( I think you're right, the RAMs seem to be the issue. Which is odd considering they run just fine at 1000MHz when the FSB is set at 333, but refuse to run at the same speed when the FSB is set at 400!!!

After several trials I could get it to post at FSB 395 (Rams at 988), but it wasn't even stable enough to boot to windows. I had to go to an FSB in the lower 380's before it became stable.

Finally I decided to stick with an FSB of 400 and used a lower multiplier for the RAMs. So E8400 is now running at 3.6GHz, and the Rams at 960MHz @ 5-5-5-15 without having to run them at too high a voltage (only 1.88v). I guess the dent in the performance between the RAMs running at 1000 vs. 960 is gonna be hardly noticeable, so I'm satisfied :p

Trent,

The issue I was mentioning only apply to 4x1GB set up but doesn't apply to 2x1GB. Have you try to give RAM voltage 2.2v? to see if it boots up fine? Also, I would personally prefer 800Mhz 4-4-4-12 than 960Mhz 5-5-5-15.

Do the "Auto" settings in the BIOS over clocking menu refer to one particular setting/voltage (the lowest?)? or does it mean that the BIOS scales as it sees fit? for example the north/south bridge voltages, FSB termination & PLL voltages.

The reason I'm asking is because I noticed when increasing the FSB with the core voltage left at Auto, that CPU-Z was reporting a higher voltage with each FSB bump (before I could go no further without changing the voltage manually). That's why I'm wondering if maybe all voltages behave similarly. If so then it's probably best to go thru them one by one and find the lowest stable setting.

HaxEJxuK, my Ballistix Tracers' part #'s are with a dot in the middle separating 2 sequences of numbers ... bummer :( I think you're right, the RAMs seem to be the issue. Which is odd considering they run just fine at 1000MHz when the FSB is set at 333, but refuse to run at the same speed when the FSB is set at 400!!!

After several trials I could get it to post at FSB 395 (Rams at 988), but it wasn't even stable enough to boot to windows. I had to go to an FSB in the lower 380's before it became stable.

Finally I decided to stick with an FSB of 400 and used a lower multiplier for the RAMs. So E8400 is now running at 3.6GHz, and the Rams at 960MHz @ 5-5-5-15 without having to run them at too high a voltage (only 1.88v). I guess the dent in the performance between the RAMs running at 1000 vs. 960 is gonna be hardly noticeable, so I'm satisfied :p

Trent,

The issue I was mentioning only apply to 4x1GB set up but doesn't apply to 2x1GB. Have you try to give RAM voltage 2.2v? to see if it boots up fine? Also, I would personally prefer 800Mhz 4-4-4-12 than 960Mhz 5-5-5-15.
I got no post even at 2.2v 1000MHz 5-5-5-15. I even tried to increase the northbridge voltage up to 1.45v and still nothing.

Why is it better to run 160MHz slower but with a better timing? Is it because of the 1:1 ratio? or is it better to have faster timings?

Thanx for your help :)

That's a question I need to ask also. When I gave my E4300 to a friend he began overclocking it and noticed the same. I never left vCore in auto when overlcocking because I always thought it was only the user who could know what voltage to aplly and seeking the good value is sometimes a challenge.

But he had a great succes with voltage in auto. Since then I have the same question... hopefully someone will know the answer. Maybe it's new with more recent BIOS.

I can't say it's better but every place I went to find out about OC pretty much said for intel, 1:1 is preferred. Sure it will probably make difference but not that much from what I heard. So I just set mine to 1:1 and tighten timing and use lower voltage for my setup. As far as timing goes, of course 1000Mhz and 4-4-4-12 will be great but I highly doubt that you can OC to 1000Mhz and also get 4-4-4-12 timing. Maybe with crazy voltage but Tracers run hot as it is already. Is your tracer double sided or single sided? I've heard that it now comes single sided and it's not as good as double sided one like ones I had.(Oh I miss all that light show but I'm happy with mine now. 1000Mhz by default 2x2GB and runs cold compared to Tracers)

I got no post even at 2.2v 1000MHz 5-5-5-15. I even tried to increase the northbridge voltage up to 1.45v and still nothing.

Why is it better to run 160MHz slower but with a better timing? Is it because of the 1:1 ratio? or is it better to have faster timings?

Thanx for your help :)

Lots of times AUTO setting give little less or more than it needs meaning if it sets higher than what you need, it's generating more heat than it should=need faster fan=louder system. at least to me it's importance as now I build my pc quiet as possible. Even though I've got [email protected],(more vdrop and vdroop, vdrop is about .1v and vdroop is another .1v so under load it's about .2v lower than what I set to in BIOS) everything is set to lowest except vcore and RAM. Only thing I've set to Auto is NB and SB.

That's a question I need to ask also. When I gave my E4300 to a friend he began overclocking it and noticed the same. I never left vCore in auto when overlcocking because I always thought it was only the user who could know what voltage to aplly and seeking the good value is sometimes a challenge.

But he had a great succes with voltage in auto. Since then I have the same question... hopefully someone will know the answer. Maybe it's new with more recent BIOS.

FYI - Finally got my Sleep state working properly. Had to manually setup S3 in BIOS and viola...works like a champ in Vista (even recoveres to correct VCore)...

Hi, my board was having the same no POST error with a Q9450 and Corsair XMS2 4GIG kit, I got a POST with an old D820 and junk 133MHz RAM, updated the bios to 0505, back to good kit, no good, if I put EITHER component in there then no POST.

Nutted it out this morning, if I use the old CPU and RAM, get POST, overclock the old RAM to 166MHz, swap CPU to the 9450, get POST, Ram now shows an overclock to 200Mhz.

This is how far I am at the moment, I have updated BIOS again to the 0506 that was released while I was asleep, doesn't make a difference, if I put my Corsair in then no POST, I have tried boosting the voltage to 2.1, no POST. I don't want to try too many things as the cheap 133MHz ram is now at 200MHz on 2.1V and I don't really want to fry my new board.

Has anyone else solved these compatibility problems, the Corsair RAM is CM2X2048-6400C4DHX it isn't on the compatibility list but it's little brother the 1gig sticks are

I can't say it's better but every place I went to find out about OC pretty much said for intel, 1:1 is preferred. Sure it will probably make difference but not that much from what I heard. So I just set mine to 1:1 and tighten timing and use lower voltage for my setup. As far as timing goes, of course 1000Mhz and 4-4-4-12 will be great but I highly doubt that you can OC to 1000Mhz and also get 4-4-4-12 timing. Maybe with crazy voltage but Tracers run hot as it is already. Is your tracer double sided or single sided? I've heard that it now comes single sided and it's not as good as double sided one like ones I had.(Oh I miss all that light show but I'm happy with mine now. 1000Mhz by default 2x2GB and runs cold compared to Tracers)
Ya I have the single sided version. I also read that they aren't as good oc'ers as the double sided ones. I guess I gave in to the light show rather than going for something better for the same price ... but they do look good in the microfly with window case :p

Oddly enough to run at 800 4-4-4-12 they need more voltage than 1000 5-5-5-15. About 1.98 vs. 1.88. But I guess 1.98v is still low enough not to matter that they aren't being directly cooled by a dedicated fan.

It is there now. I just dled it from the USA server

It is there now. I just dled it from the USA server
Great, just a few hours after and it's there now.

I hate ASUS when it's time to tell us what have been modified in their BIOS. Support new CPUs is not enough to me. Ok if it's the only change but for every BIOS they seems to only say this.

I will try the MyLogo thing... a 1st. I don't know how the output will look like. I hope we can flash it a few times until satisfied.

So I went and bought a cheap 2gig stick of Apacer so I'm gaming at least, does anyone else have any ideas about setting my timings so that the Corsair will go? I tried just the voltage and frequency, do you think I need to go further and adjust clocks etc or just wait for BIOS updates?

About the logo in BIOS, the process to insert the image went smoothly then I flashed it. I enabled the Full Logo (or something) setting in the BIOS but I don't see any logo/image. Maybe I need to disable the Quick startup too?

no always have quick boot enable. Hmm the logo screen should come if enabled, but anyway, I will rather have the informations about clockspeed etc. than the asus logo

I will rather have the informations about clockspeed etc. than the asus logo
I should see my logo I added with the MyLogo utility. Anyway, my computer is almost always running, I only restart when needed so no real need for this to work but I was curious to see it once.

Hi, my board was having the same no POST error with a Q9450 and Corsair XMS2 4GIG kit, I got a POST with an old D820 and junk 133MHz RAM, updated the bios to 0505, back to good kit, no good, if I put EITHER component in there then no POST.

Nutted it out this morning, if I use the old CPU and RAM, get POST, overclock the old RAM to 166MHz, swap CPU to the 9450, get POST, Ram now shows an overclock to 200Mhz.

This is how far I am at the moment, I have updated BIOS again to the 0506 that was released while I was asleep, doesn't make a difference, if I put my Corsair in then no POST, I have tried boosting the voltage to 2.1, no POST. I don't want to try too many things as the cheap 133MHz ram is now at 200MHz on 2.1V and I don't really want to fry my new board.

Has anyone else solved these compatibility problems, the Corsair RAM is CM2X2048-6400C4DHX it isn't on the compatibility list but it's little brother the 1gig sticks are

I ran this same setup before with no issues at 1.8v for the DDR2. Don't overclock if you are having issues.

Anyone had the HDMI port fail on them?

I was having issues with LCD monitor not waking up from sleep plugged thru DVI (using the HDMI to DVI adapter) I was pretty sure it was the monitor that was causing the problem, but it seems I might be wrong. Today the HDMI stopped producing any output plugged to the same LCD thru either HDMI or DVI. I tested the LCD on a different computer its still working fine over DVI.

I still need to plug the P5E-VM to a different LCD to be 100% sure its the reason for troubles. By the way the analog out still works! So it must be something right at the port or something!

Sort of glad it happened now and not later, just 3 days before my 30 day return/exchange policy at newegg expires.

Just an FYI, I had a hell of a time troubleshooting a problem with random bluescreens in vista on this mobo.

Changed PSU, processor, used external video, changed mobo.

Turned out the culprit was Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2 800 (2x2GB) kit memory which was passing memtestx86, vista memory test, and worked just dandy in another machine.

Switched out for some mushkin kit that also came with free 3dmark vantage and all is well, not even a hiccup since.

On a probably related note the MB temperature is 7 degrees Celcius cooler in the same conditions/settings. (38c now)

I will be talking to crucial tomorrow but wanted to see if anyone else was seeing the same issue...

It's probably due to Tracer's running so hot. Or should I say Ballistix. When I had my Tracer, I loved light show from 4 sticks but I would burn my finger if I would to touch it(well, almost) RAM that I've got now is pretty much cool to touch.

I also had a ton of problems with the same Crucial Ballistix 2 X 1GB PC2 6400 memory. It would randomly crash multiple times a day. It also passed memtest86+ and I could find errors with the RAM. I ECO'd the motherboard, tried a bunch of stuff, even had to re-install windows and all my data on my RAID because the memory errors were causing failures. I finally replaced it with G.Skill memory. Problem is gone. I have had zero crashes in the 25 days since then.
Also, they did not run hot. The Ballistix were just slightly warm to the touch even at 2.1V. They were a batch number 97432 which if you google, you can see there are a ton of problem with this memory.

As far as my Tracers goes, it could have been hot due to 4x1GB(not much gap between RAM) but other than that it ran perfectly fine(well i couldn't OC with 4x1GB but was able to OC with 2x1GB)

Don't overclock if you are having issues.

I think you misread it, the only way I could get it to run was WITH an overclock.

I'm now having problems with video, random screen flashing (black flash) and then all textures will go haywire, before reverting to 640x480 and telling me that nv4????dll has stopped responding. I'll need to write down the driver name and google it :(

I think you misread it, the only way I could get it to run was WITH an overclock.

I'm now having problems with video, random screen flashing (black flash) and then all textures will go haywire, before reverting to 640x480 and telling me that nv4????dll has stopped responding. I'll need to write down the driver name and google it :(

that is really strange. I ran those same C4 sticks (one of the best imho), with a massive underclock (350MHz or so) w/ no issues at 1.8V too...

Is it at all possible to run the onboard video ENABLED with a discrete PCI-E video card?

I want to go tri-display :|

which quad should i get to oc to 3.2ghz on this board -
Q9450-has the biggest cache 45nm 1333 fsb 2.66ghz (this goes alot faster than qx7700
when oced )

Q9300-45nm - small cache 1333fsb 2.4ghz
Q6600- medium cache - 65nm 1066 fsb 2.5ghz\
:confused:

I would go with Q6600 as I did already. I was going to get Q9450 but price and performance was just not there. Not really much different between Q9450 and Q6600 other than Q9450 runs cooler and need less vcore. I'm running 3.6Ghz and I'm happy.

which quad should i get to oc to 3.2ghz on this board -
Q9450-has the biggest cache 45nm 1333 fsb 2.66ghz (this goes alot faster than qx7700
when oced )

Q9300-45nm - small cache 1333fsb 2.4ghz
Q6600- medium cache - 65nm 1066 fsb 2.5ghz\
:confused:

Would an 8800GS single slot card block any of the Sata ports on the board?
It doesn't look like it but I want to make sure

nah, I have a Quadro there and it is okay. It is a bit cramped but even a dual slot GPU is fine

cool, thanx.
Although after reading a little more, I think I might go with a 9600GT, but makes no difference on size issue.

Would an 8800GS single slot card block any of the Sata ports on the board?
It doesn't look like it but I want to make sure

well i've got a zotac 8800gt and it's not blocking at all. i hope that helps. i'm in the midst of doing some stress testing right now for my overclock and i'll take pictures once it's done.

hi everyone, i've got this board for my Lanbox and have two questions:
1. how hot is the NB
2. which cooler would you propose, regarding it's high not being too big, i've now a zalman 8000 but it seems to me a liitle bit too weak, cooling a 8400@4GHz

The rest of my config is Galaxy 8800GT, one HDD Samsung F1 1TB, dvd-rw and a 2x1 A-data extreme ddr2 800. Powered by a Antec 380W.

thanks for help

It was mentioned multiple times in this thread that OCing with 4x1GB is problematic compared to 2x1GB. Does that mean you cannot OC at all or just not extreme OCing? Cannot OC RAM and CPU or just RAM?

DDR2 prices are very low, so I was thinking of getting another pair of 1GB Tracers on top of the ones I have in case I needed them in the future. For now 2GB RAM is enough. But if I needed more later on the prices might be higher (as DDR3 becomes mainstream).

I am currently running:
E8400 @ 3.6GHz (FSB 400)
Tracers PC2-6400 @ 800MHz 4-4-4-12

Would I still be able to do that with 4x1GB Ram?

Thanx for the help

If you are moving past clock speeds, some form of additional cooling for the NB is recommenced. Many place an aftermarket cooler like this or this in lieu of the stock cooler. Others have positioned a fan to move air across the stock heatsink.

Since you already possess the complete system, measure the distance from MB to bottom of power supply to determine the largest heastsink that can be installed.

I doubt a Mini-Ninja (110 x 110 x 115 mm) could be installed, but a Zalman 8700 (120 x 123 x 67mm) or Scythe SHURIKEN (105 x 116 x 64 mm) may be able to be wedged in there.

You could alway back down the overclock and processor voltage to 3.6GHz to decrease the load temperatures

Back