Asus P5E-VM HDMI: best matx ever?

I am currently running:
E8400 @ 3.6GHz (FSB 400)
Tracers PC2-6400 @ 800MHz 4-4-4-12

Would I still be able to do that with 4x1GB Ram?

Thanx for the help

With the NB strap in AUTO position, that overclock should result in the RAM running 800MHz. Since the RAM is not being overclocked, running 4X1GB will not be an issue.

Be aware that Tracers run a little warmer and you may want to have some form or direct air movement over them. If you case ventilation is not good, you should also consider alternative NB cooling in lieu of the stock aluminum block,

It should work just fine, but you must have active cooling. These sticks run hot, and with an extra 2 sticks, its gonna make it worse.

Did anyone purchase this mobo from newegg recently? I want to know what bio version that it come with because I have a e8200 processor.

It should work just fine, but you must have active cooling. These sticks run hot, and with an extra 2 sticks, its gonna make it worse.
I believe that was directed at me :p. Yes I know, that is also another reason why I am hesitant. For now everything is nice and cool, but I am running on the built-in gfx, once I get a 9600GT (hopefully soon) and with 4 Tracers in close proximity it might start to get toasty in there. 4GB is a nice guarantee for the future but I'm not sure it's worth it with the extra heat and limited OC :confused: BTW I have a Microfly case with standard cooling, I don't trust myself with any modding :p

Did anyone purchase this mobo from newegg recently? I want to know what bio version that it come with because I have a e8200 processor.
I got a replacement (because my HDMI out stopped working) about a week ago. It shipped from the NJ warehouse. Came with BIOS v. 405. I believe the one that I got first in late April also had the same version. Both where no problem with an E8400, ran with no issues for a few days before I upgraded to the latest version.

That good.. solve one of my question on deciding to get this mobo. Does anyone know how much they can oc on the e8400?

Did the newer bios release's make available any additional voltages like pll or vnb? My nb voltage setting tops out @1.71 but I've seen post of people settings there's higher? I'm running bios 405 which doesn't recognize my cpu :)

Built a system using the P5E-VM HDMI over the weekend, and so far it's running a Q6600 solid at 400x8 with onboard video enabled. I tried pushing it to 400x9 but it would fail prime 95 almost instantly even when the voltages were pushed to the edge of what I would consider comfortable.

On another note, this motherboard along with the Antec NSK3480 case and the Noctua NH-C12P is a great combo. The fan on the heatsink is directly under the side intake shroud with a few mm to spare, giving the CPU and surrounding components nice fresh air.

At the moment you probably wont find any big sales since its the more popular mATX mobo to have. Later this month once the G45 mobos roll out that could change but it might become a moot point then.

Yes, I've just joined the "P5E-VM-HDMI wanna OC my 45nm Quad like a Madman" club. It came into the office minutes ago from the egg and the board says Ver. 1.00G. The box has a pink sticker claiming 45nm compatibility so your E8200 should be nice and happy.

Never got anything DOA, so hopefully I'll have nice results to report.

Yes, I've just joined the "P5E-VM-HDMI wanna OC my 45nm Quad like a Madman" club. It came into the office minutes ago from the egg and the board says Ver. 1.00G. The box has a pink sticker claiming 45nm compatibility so your E8200 should be nice and happy.

Never got anything DOA, so hopefully I'll have nice results to report.

You put a 45nm processor into the mobo and it worked without upgrade the bios first? I ordered this mobo on sunday and it will arrived on thursday.. Can't wait to try it out:)

You put a 45nm processor into the mobo and it worked without upgrade the bios first? I ordered this mobo on sunday and it will arrived on thursday.. Can't wait to try it out:)

You might want to upgrade the bios anyways. I was able to get 24/7 with 0506 than non 24/7 with the 0406(sp?)

I will do that but do I have to get the mobo to post first? In order to do that, the mobo need to regonize the cpu , right?

I'm having trouble overclocking my q9450 to 3.2 Ghz

I'm using stock heatsink/Fan
Stock 500 watt Power Supply with Apevia Case
ATI 3870
2 Raptors 150GB
1 Optical Drive
Corsair XMS2 2 X 2GB 5-5-5-12

I have no trouble at 390 FSB with all settings at auto except the FSB.

I've tried everything to run at 400 FSB: increasing voltages for CPU, RAM, NB, CPU spread spectrum disabled. Same result using onboard video.

What do you guys think it is? Heatsink/Fan, MotherBoard, Power Supply, RAM or CPU.

Mine was able to POST with an error message unrecognized CPU. Then I updated the BIOS.
That's one of the possible outcomes when dealing with unrecognized CPUs. Other outcomes are erratic behaviour and absolute failure to POST.

It really depends on the CPU "baseline", and the BIOS baseline, really.

In the case of the x3x chipsets, the official Intel code for the BIOS has bare minimum support for Penryn-line CPUs, as well as everything Core-based backwards (there is no official support for Netburst-based CPUs starting with the 3-series chipsets, and 533MHz FSB CPU support is extremely unlikely, due to memory strap limitations).

Which means, in short, that basically every C2D-based LGA775 CPU you put in there should at least work (except 1600MHz FSB parts, of course, but even those could potentially downgrade to a 1333MHz FSB), even if it's not recognized.

Exceptions to this rule can be completely new families not available (read: being prepared) at the time of lauch of the chipset (like the E1xxx Cellys, Triple-cores and potentially the E7200), though if the baseline code is not too different, they might work (albeit handicapped in some way).

Cheers.

Miguel

What do you guys think it is? Heatsink/Fan, MotherBoard, Power Supply, RAM or CPU.

Can you run 12 plus hours of Prime at stock settings?

What is the make of power supply and case?

Ditch the stock processor heatsink if you intend to overclock.

You should change the ASUS North Bridge heatsink for a good aftermarket model prior to overclocking.

Do you have direct airflow over the RAM?

Did you Memtest your RAM prior to loading Windows?

Did you read any of the C2D/C2Q overclocking guides that abound this (and other) website?

Can you run 12 plus hours of Prime at stock settings? Yes

What is the make of power supply and case? APEVIA X-QPACK2-NW-BK/500

Ditch the stock processor heatsink if you intend to overclock. Which one do you suggest. I need a low profile one that fits in my case

You should change the ASUS North Bridge heatsink for a good aftermarket model prior to overclocking. What's a good one

Do you have direct airflow over the RAM? No

Did you Memtest your RAM prior to loading Windows? Yes

Did you read any of the C2D/C2Q overclocking guides that abound this (and other) website?
Yes. I've read most people can run 3.2 ghz with the similar setup. One had the same FSB wall and swapped the CPU and was able to run over 3.2.

What is the make of power supply and case? APEVIA X-QPACK2-NW-BK/500

Ditch the stock processor heatsink if you intend to overclock. Which one do you suggest. I need a low profile one that fits in my case

You should change the ASUS North Bridge heatsink for a good aftermarket model prior to overclocking. What's a good one

Do you have direct airflow over the RAM? No

Did you Memtest your RAM prior to loading Windows? Yes

You case is identical to the Ultra Microfly which many have put to good use with the ASUS P5E.

The NC-U6 by Noctua will fit with a couple of millimeters to spare. This is a significantly superior heatsink when compared to the stock ASUS NB cooler.

Ditch the Apevia power supply and pick up a HX520 or similar modular power supply.

Regarding the processor cooler, you can modify the brace and fit a Ultima 90 in there if you desire better cooling. check here

Or you can measure the distance and place something like the MaxOrb EX (143(L) x 144(W) x 95.2(H) mm) or similar if you do not want to modify the brace. I think the distance is 98mm.

Regarding teh RAM, some type of active cooling is recommend for such a small case.

I noticed that when I shutdown my PC the USB ports remain powered.

I have a 2.5' HDD connected, and a USB hub that is power sensitive (it unpowers the ports on it when the PC is turned off) that stays on even after I switch off the PC.
If I unpower the PSU after I shutdown and wait a few seconds until the mobo loses all power in it, and then repower the PSU, then the USB ports remain unpowered.

So is there a way to force the USB ports to be unpowered on shutdown? Nothing in the BIOS settings seems to relate to this issue!

I finished changing my mobo. Great mobo!!! Now... OC :) I saw that cpu temp. in BIO is 46c but I saw 32c in the realtemp.. which one should i go with?

which voltage I need to change in the BIOs because I new to this mobo???

I noticed that when I shutdown my PC the USB ports remain powered.

I have a 2.5' HDD connected, and a USB hub that is power sensitive (it unpowers the ports on it when the PC is turned off) that stay on even after I switch off the PC.
If I unpower the PSU after I shutdown and wait a few seconds until the mobo loses all power in it, and then repower the PSU, then the USB ports remain unpowered.

So is there a way to force the USB ports to be unpowered on shutdown? Nothing in the BIOS settings seems to relate to this issue!

Any ideas?

You case is identical to the Ultra Microfly which many have put to good use with the ASUS P5E.

The NC-U6 by Noctua will fit with a couple of millimeters to spare. This is a significantly superior heatsink when compared to the stock ASUS NB cooler.

Ditch the Apevia power supply and pick up a HX520 or similar modular power supply.

Regarding the processor cooler, you can modify the brace and fit a Ultima 90 in there if you desire better cooling. check here

Or you can measure the distance and place something like the MaxOrb EX (143(L) x 144(W) x 95.2(H) mm) or similar if you do not want to modify the brace. I think the distance is 98mm.

Regarding teh RAM, some type of active cooling is recommend for such a small case.

I just installed the Thermaltake Blue Orb II and got no overclocking improvement. I did see the CPU temp go down 5c. I exchange my CPU for another q9450 and got 5 FSB Better. I think I'm going to give up and leave it at 390 FSB. I am doubtful that my PSU and Heatsinks for the Mobo is limiting my FSB. I just think I'm reaching my CPU's or Mobo's limit :(

the 45nm Quads do have a lower FSB celling then the 65nm chips, but I would think you should be ok for at least 400. Have you tried lowering multi down a notch to eliminate clock speed and to see if its your ram?

I just installed the Thermaltake Blue Orb II and got no overclocking improvement. I did see the CPU temp go down 5c. I exchange my CPU for another q9450 and got 5 FSB Better. I think I'm going to give up and leave it at 390 FSB. I am doubtful that my PSU and Heatsinks for the Mobo is limiting my FSB. I just think I'm reaching my CPU's or Mobo's limit :(

What are your BIOS settings? In particular voltage settings?

the 45nm Quads do have a lower FSB celling then the 65nm chips, but I would think you should be ok for at least 400. Have you tried lowering multi down a notch to eliminate clock speed and to see if its your ram?

Yes I've tried lowering the CPU Ratio to 6 X and still cannot get 400 FSB I also kept my RAM to 800 MHZ

What are your BIOS settings? In particular voltage settings?

I've tried from 1.25v to 1.425v in BIOS actual in CPU-Z is about - .5 from the BIOS. I've also tried increasing NB to 1.45. Keep in mind, when everything in BIOS is at auto I can run a FSB at 395 and is able to complete 3 loops of 3dmark06 benchmark. I just run at 390 just to be safe. The first q9450 cpu i had will not even post most of the time at 400. The new one will boot into vista just can't complete a 3dmark06 benchmark. It's probably a bad batch of q9450's batch at Fry's Wilsonville, OR.

I finally was able to complete a 3Dmark06 Benchmark running at 400 FSB. :) What I did is increased NB to 1.53v, CPU at 1.375v and RAM at 2.2v. Now my question is what is a safe voltage for this Mobo. Has NE1 else tried pushing the NB farther than 1.53?

Long time lurker first time poster... Mostly for this reason...

I have this motherboard in a SG02 case w/ a NT06 cooler... Does anyone have a picture of a similar setup w/ the orientation of your NT06?

My plan is to use a Scythe fan to blow through the heatsink into and out the rear of the power supply.

Thanks in advance.

Hi all,
I've read almost the whole thread now and haven't seen this issue yet. I'm getting Vcore spikes up to 1.75v that last 5 to 10 secs. I have Vcore set @1.35v in bios and reported @1.31 in CPU-Z. This is happening several times an hour but doesn't seem to affect anything except for throwing up a warning (ASUS PC Probe II). Is this normal? Should I be concerned? :eek:

Thanks

Do you need the 3 in1 Q connector to plug your caselights/power in to the board? I have a chance to buy one used but it doesn't come with any cables.

Case lights should not directly plug into the motherboard.

The Q connector is for the multitude of front panel wiring (e.g. power switch, H.D. LED, etc.) that slow down motherboard insertion/removal. It is provided as a convenience and not required for proper operation. Just download the manual from ASUS' website and you will be fine.

Oh yeah, that's what I meant like the power/hd LEDs, etc. Good to know I don't need it, thanks!

What is the best ram to use in this board i just got one and i want to up grade to 1066 ram. But i have been looking at the OCZ flex pc2-9200 just wondering if it will work and if any1 has had any experience with it??

Back