Asus P5E-VM HDMI: best matx ever?

What is the best ram to use in this board i just got one and i want to up grade to 1066 ram. But i have been looking at the OCZ flex pc2-9200 just wondering if it will work and if any1 has had any experience with it??

What processor will you running? Most Intel overclocks do not require high dollar RAM.

I am running this G-Skill with out an issue. I do have a 60mm fan at 7 volts blowing on them as insurance in a cramped case.

I have a q6600 at 2.7Ghz but i want to push it higher.
NZXT Rouge case with 5x120mm fans
HD 2900 XT
P5E-VM hmdi mb
OCZ 2x1gb ram pc2-6400
I really want to put PC2-8500 in not sure what is the best or if the 9200 would make any difference. I will be buying 2x2gig sticks of the ram.
I have been looking at the Corsair Dominator PC2-8500 with airflow fan, will the fan fit with the grapichs card being so close to the ram slots?? I quite like this but i cant seem to find a review of it any where.

You don't really need higher clock RAM. you can just set 400x9 and get like 3.6Ghz like I did. I've got PC2 8000 but not even using it's full speed.

I have a q6600 at 2.7Ghz but i want to push it higher.
NZXT Rouge case with 5x120mm fans
HD 2900 XT
P5E-VM hmdi mb
OCZ 2x1gb ram pc2-6400
I really want to put PC2-8500 in not sure what is the best or if the 9200 would make any difference. I will be buying 2x2gig sticks of the ram.
I have been looking at the Corsair Dominator PC2-8500 with airflow fan, will the fan fit with the grapichs card being so close to the ram slots?? I quite like this but i cant seem to find a review of it any where.

What about the OCZ ReaperX HPC pc2-8000, i know some one that has them seem to work very well.
I have just got my quad to 3.3Ghz which is sweet and it is very stable. Still havent decided what ram to get! Sucks!!

Does anyone have problems playing sound out of the rear stereo jack? HDMI sound output and coaxial works fine. Just my stereo jack sound doesn't work for some reason.

I noticed that when I shutdown my PC the USB ports remain powered.

I have a 2.5' HDD connected, and a USB hub that is power sensitive (it unpowers the ports on it when the PC is turned off) that stays on even after I switch off the PC.
If I unpower the PSU after I shutdown and wait a few seconds until the mobo loses all power in it, and then repower the PSU, then the USB ports remain unpowered.

So is there a way to force the USB ports to be unpowered on shutdown? Nothing in the BIOS settings seems to relate to this issue!

Hmm Their should be a jumper on the mobo to disable power to the USB port. But that would kill power to it permanently You might have to just shut the power off in the back or use a power strip to turn the power off totally.

Question, how bad is everyone's droop. Mine seems really bad. I have the load line setting enabled, but it still bad. Any tips I am missing. Running an 8400 btw.

Hmm Their should be a jumper on the mobo to disable power to the USB port. But that would kill power to it permanently You might have to just shut the power off in the back or use a power strip to turn the power off totally.
If a jumper is available for the USB ports, that usually only controls the +5VSB voltage rail to the port/group of ports, NOT the +5V line.

+5VSB is the power line you use to power up stuff capable of getting your PC from an S5 state (off, but with AC power connected) to an S1 state (on, full power to all rails). It may also be used to power a WOL-capable NIC, to enable WOL from an S5 state.

+5V is the 5V power line, only available on power states above S4.

You can only prevent USB ports from working by:
1) Shorting them (duh, and also rather definitive... lol);
2) Disabling them by jumper (never EVER seen this one, all the jumpers I've seen for USB ports are only to control the +5VSB line...);
3) Disabling them through the BIOS.

So, if you have jumpers available (or a BIOS option like "Power up from USB), and you disable the power line, you should still be able to get your mouse working, but off when the PC is shut down.

Cheers.

Miguel

Question, how bad is everyone's droop. Mine seems really bad. I have the load line setting enabled, but it still bad. Any tips I am missing. Running an 8400 btw.

Here are the results from my tests running an E2180:

Bios setting: 1.30V, @idle: 1.26v, @full load: 1.22

Bios setting: Auto, @idle: 1.16v, @full load: 1.24

The results were the same running FSB 200x10 for 2GHz and FSB 350x8 for 2.8GHz.

Draw your own conclusions. Hope this helps.:)

Apologies if this was asked somewhere in the thread. I went through every page trying to find an answer but didn't see it. Can a full sized NT-06 or Thermalright Ultima-90 fit on this board in a Microfly?

edit: Whoops. I just saw a post by setscrew saying the ultima 90 would fit with some brace mod. I'm assuming the NT-06 is way too big tho.

Apologies if this was asked somewhere in the thread. I went through every page trying to find an answer but didn't see it. Can a full sized NT-06 or Thermalright Ultima-90 fit on this board in a Microfly?

edit: Whoops. I just saw a post by setscrew saying the ultima 90 would fit with some brace mod. I'm assuming the NT-06 is way too big tho.

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1256178

I had 2x1GB Ballistix Tracers PC2-6400. Today I received another pair (I know not the best RAM but it was toooo cheap not to buy :p) and it seems I cannot run 4 sticks at the same voltage setting as before with 2 sticks.

Before with 2 sticks 1.98v was rock solid stable, 1.96v would occasionally crash under stress. (400Mhz 4-4-4-12)
Now with 4 sticks 2.00v is still giving me errors during stress test (Orthos). (400Mhz 4-4-4-12)

Before I try more voltage. I removed my older sticks, and left the new ones in the same slots I initially installed them in (2nd and 4th). Set the voltage and everything back to the same I had with the older sticks (1.98v 400MHz 4-4-4-12). Orthos is stable with no errors. Memtest86 has already done 2 passes with no errors and its still running. So the new RAMs don't seem to be defective.

OK ... now my question :D
Is it normal that when you increase the number of sticks of RAMs you'll need to set the RAM voltage higher?
Is it just that 4 sticks draw more power and therefore under normal operation and stress the voltage drop is gonna be larger, and that's why the initial voltage has to be set higher?
Is there some setting I can try, so that I can keep my RAM voltage lower? (Considering the terrible reliability of Ballistix)

Thanx :D

Trent try increasing your chipset voltage. The added dims are putting more stress on MCH northbridge. Second are both your pairs the same ICs? Because Micron stopped making D9 based ICs and now are using a different IC. Easy way to tell is if all your sticks are single sided or dual sided. The new ones are single sided, but the older sticks could be dual sided.

Thanx for the quick response.

Ya both pairs (old and new) are single sided, but they are different batch numbers obviously since they were bought about 2 months apart. But the part numbers and UPC are the same.

I'll give the north bridge voltage a try. Thanx for the suggestion. Currently I have it set to the lowest setting, maybe I should try setting it back to "Auto" and then if that don't work jack up the voltage a bit more.

Thanks again

Tonight my second set of new Ballistic Tracers came in. Thus I will be running the same board and 4GB of the new Single sided. Currently running 2.1 volts @ 4/4/4/12 @ 440FSB 1:1. NB voltage is at 1.25. I will post an message and see if I have the same problem as you. What bios version are you running?

Vengance_01, I'm gonna guess that you didn't have an issue with running 4 sticks like I did, based on what I found. Since you're running at 1:1 FSB to RAM.

So I tried increasing the NB voltage, I only went 2 notches up but that didn't work. Before trying any further, I tried 2.1v for the RAM but also that didn't work.

I then remembered an issue running at FSB 400 and RAM at 500MHz I had before when I was trying to decide what are the best settings to have. I couldn't get it to even post at those settings. It was an issue with a non 1:1 FSB to RAM ratio, as far as I could tell. So I decided to test that theory out.

I've been running my CPU (E8400) at stock without any OC (I'm currently still using the built-in gfx, and thought I'd better not do any CPU OC until I get a gfx card and relieve the NB from the extra stress). So the FSB was set to 333 and the RAMs were running at 400MHz. So here is what I did:
I increased the FSB to 400, which OC'ed my CPU to 3.6GHz.
Set the RAM to 400MHz, thus using a 1:1 ratio.
Went back to the RAM voltage I had before (1.98v) and timings (4-4-4-12).

And voila it works!

So it seems to me that running at anything other than 1:1 FSB to RAM results in a tough situation to get stable.
Now I'm thinking I should get a gfx card asap so that I can keep my FSB:RAM at 1:1 (400MHz) and not worry that I might be overloading the NB.

Hope your experience with 4 sticks of Tracers went smoother than mine :p

no it did not. :( But it apperas I got a bad batch. I had some good classic D9 ram laying around. So I threw them in and everything was fine again. Sadly I keep them in their because I have 0 active cooling and they run burning hot.

You mean the older D9 run hotter than the new single sided ones?
Are the new ones failing memtest?

Well it wasn't that great for me either, after all. Stress testing causes a reboot after a while. CPU isn't running too hot. Memtest isn't generating any errors on the same settings with all 4 modules installed. So I'm thinking it might be the NB, either overheating or requiring a higher voltage.

But I'm not going to push it any further for now until a get a gfx card. That might fix the problem without even having to mess with the NB.

I also have the stock cooler on the NB, so that's not helping either. (My cooling consists of 2x80mm blowing fresh air at the front and 1x120mm exhaust at the back + another 120mm exhaust in the PSU)

But with 1:1 ratio it was definitely much more stable than before, and at voltages that wouldn't even allow Windows to boot with a non 1:1.

Yea old D9 ram run very hot w/o active cooling. My new set was basically DOA. Going to RMA and get a refund. I might just run 2GB for now as I use XP Pro.

I just got this board last week. The rest of my setup is in my sig. This is what I have so far:

--E8200 at 3.8GHz 475x8, 1.35V under load, 34 degrees idle, 53 degrees load, ZEROtherm BTF 80--

It would boot fine at 500 FSB but the IGP driver would start crashing. Definitely Orthos stable at 475 however. I will test complete 500 FSB stability when my HD 4850 gets here today. Idle and load temps are lower than my old E8400 @ 4.05GHz (9x450) btw.

--4x1gb Crucial Ballistix DDR2 800--

Runs fine at 1:1 950MHz and 1000MHz with 5-5-5-15 timings. I haven't had the chance to mess with the timings yet.

On a side note, my old E8400/Maximus Formula would not run over 465 FSB with all 4 memory slots populated.

Any comments?

I just got this board last week. The rest of my setup is in my sig. This is what I have so far:

--E8200 at 3.8GHz 475x8, 1.35V under load, 34 degrees idle, 53 degrees load, ZEROtherm BTF 80--

It would boot fine at 500 FSB but the IGP driver would start crashing. Definitely Orthos stable at 475 however. I will test complete 500 FSB stability when my HD 4850 gets here today. Idle and load temps are lower than my old E8400 @ 4.05GHz (9x450) btw.

--4x1gb Crucial Ballistix DDR2 800--

Runs fine at 1:1 950MHz and 1000MHz with 5-5-5-15 timings. I haven't had the chance to mess with the timings yet.

On a side note, my old E8400/Maximus Formula would not run over 465 FSB with all 4 memory slots populated.

Any comments?

Wow..Nice!!! What kind of Coolers are you using? CPU, NB. What are your voltage settings in BIOS. CPU, RAM, NB and etc.

I have some Gskill PC 1066 4GB kit from newegg. For 90$ and free shipping its a good deal.

I am using a zerotherm BTF 80 CPU heatsink. I am still using the factory northbridge heatsink however. It is definitely hot to the touch. I am running passive cooling on my memory as well. I would like to put a Noctua heatsink on the northbridge but I don't think it will fit on there with my CPU heatsink.

I can't remember my BIOS settings right now. I'll post them up when I get home.

hi all,
Im new to hard forum, and the reason why i signed up is this thread and a member named pvhk, and his thing with the abit in-73hd and the asus p5evm hdmi.
i always wanted a matx board, that could oc like mad, and be fully featured like atx boards, not just a value packed solution.

My current rig is -
-E 2140@ 1.6 stock ( lol, na 3.2 Ghz )
-ABit IX38 quadgt - just flashed bios 13
-Patriot 2gb extreme performance kit 4-4-4-12 at 1.95
-Coolermaster Hyper 212
-Coolermaster Elite 333 cabinet
-Corsair VX450
-Seagate 250 gig + 80 gig
-MSI NX8600GT TD512EZ - not much into gaming.
-ViewSonic VX2235wm 22' ( 2ms ) lcd
-Creative SBS A 370
-Labtech wireless keyboard/mouse.

I bought the ix38 and shifted to a atx cabinet only because the asus was not available. and i regret that because im not gonna go CF anytime.

Can you help me choose? because im plannin to sell the mobo and cabinet, and procy, and invest in the asus, with e7200/7300 and the coolermaster elite 340.

the ix38 hits like 500 fsb max.. unless you are on liquid or extreme cooling, also the pwms have a tendency to get hot. i cant post above 420 because my chip is a bottleneck here it seems. im running 400*8 at 1.4Vcore and the system runs pretty cool including the pwms, the pwms getting hot have been reported elsewhere.
Should i wait for a better bios release, because bios 13 the latest was released on 20th may, and my board is barely 10 days old.

how high can the asus go?

I am using a zerotherm BTF 80 CPU heatsink. I am still using the factory northbridge heatsink however. It is definitely hot to the touch. I am running passive cooling on my memory as well. I would like to put a Noctua heatsink on the northbridge but I don't think it will fit on there with my CPU heatsink.

I can't remember my BIOS settings right now. I'll post them up when I get home.
You should try and replace that. My cooling is currently XIGMATEK HDT-S963 with a HR-05 Northbridge cooler. Everything fits nicely.

Sorry if this has been covered before, but I can't bring myself to read all 50 pages...

but I running into issues w/ the SATA connections, my GPU literally covers all of them, and I am only able to access 2...

I plan on adding a couple of my hdd's so I would need all 6 sata connections, I was wondering what other owners have done to address this issue.

I hope that some 90 degree SATA cables will help free up 2 more, thanks all!

Sorry if this has been covered before, but I can't bring myself to read all 50 pages...

but I running into issues w/ the SATA connections, my GPU literally covers all of them, and I am only able to access 2...

I plan on adding a couple of my hdd's so I would need all 6 sata connections, I was wondering what other owners have done to address this issue.

How bout buy a new video card. The ATI 4850 does cover NE SATA Ports at all. I got mine for $135 at BB last week. It should get cheaper when the 4870 is released.

I was wondering the same thing.

Even after installing a 8800GTX there, I still have room on the SATA headers. I am also using angled connectors, so perhaps that is why.

thanks, gonna pick up a few, unfortunately w/ the angled connectors, I will only have access to 4 max, since the angled ones will cover up 2 of them...oh well 4 is better than 2 :D

I'm running a 500 FSB on a 1:1. I'll post up my BIOS settings if I ever get a chance to touch my computer.

Josh

Yup, I'd be keen to see them too, I'm wanting to make the best use out of my QX6850 on this board.

getting closer, currently testing 480x7 for 3.36. Keeping the clocks down due to summer out here in CA. With my room on the second floor, I don't need any additional heat added to my room.

Back