Asus P5E-VM HDMI: best matx ever?

arrggghhh! after getting another p5e board and redoing my entire build, i think the memory is the culprit. i'm still getting the same artifacts.

i have corsair dominator 2x2gb 1066 and it can't even clear 900 without crashing. rma'ing the sticks and hoping for the best.

one thing i have to say is i love my qmicra v2 case! it runs super cool and has enough space for a decent size cooler (noctua cp12) and the fastest video cards around.

I am thinking about buying one of these motherboards. Mine is about dead I think and with the experience I had from it... I don't want another Intel DG35EC.

I have 8GB of GeIL Esoteria DDR2-800 RAM and I was wondering if this RAM would cause problems with the board?

New time poster, long time reader of this thread =)
My setup is:
Asus P5E-VM HDMI (of course) + Intel E8400
Mem: 4gig OCZ SLI-Ready Edition XTX PC2 8500 CL5
XFX Geforce 9800GX2
CPU: Noctua NH-U12P (fits perfect with standard North bridge cooler)
North bridge cooler: Noctua NC-U6 (just for fun :D )
chassie : nzxt rogue, PSU ZM600-HP.
HDD: Raptor 74gig
Before when i was using an geforce 6800 card i could over clock to 500fsb*8, but after i put in the 9800gx2 i cant go as high as 500 on the fsb, it wont boot in to windows, if i boot safe with vga it works, anyone that perhaps know what this problem is?, i have tested bios 0405 and 0503. (PCIE frequency is set too 100)

Does the 9800GX2 block all of the SATA ports on the P5E-VM HDMI?

I believe the 9800GX2 is as long as the GTX series, so yes, it would. You could still use 4 of the SATA ports with 90 degree connectors.

i might switch to a x2, just bc ati cards dont block the sata connectors....my fear is that the x2 supposedly runs @ 80 during idle...and i run 70 max @ full load and the 280 is blowing out a lot of hot air

From one of the previous posts, it sounds like even with 90 degree (right angle) or 270 degree (left angle) SATA cables, you'll still have to modify them to get the video card down all the way...

I've never heard of a 280 degree SATA connector. There are:

180 degree (straight connectors) - when plugged into a hard drive the cable goes straight out
90 degree (right angle connector) - when plugged into a hard drive, the cable hangs down
270 degree (left angle connector) - when plugged into a hard drive, the cable goes up

Then there are those awkward ones that that jut out like this:
20465-C.gif

I get left angle SATA cables from Performance-PCs. I've been looking for a non-red colored, 18" left-angle to left-angle SATA cable, but can't find one anywhere.

I'm actually using the two middle connectors on mine. It's a tight squeeze. With the 270 connectors you should be able to use all 6 SATA ports.

satacables.com also has 270 degree, or "left angle" cables. I ordered two right angle and two left angle cables to use, but I also have an eSATA to SATA adapter for a front panel eSATA port. It's just a straight connector, so I'm hoping they'll all fit.

I'm trying to get some shorter cables for my computer, however the only left angle cables I was able to find are either too short or too long.

anyone having cold boot issues with this board? Running 506 Bios. Any time the computer boots up I get a lock-up at loading windows. But if I go into my bios first, save changes(But not change any settings) It will post and boot just fine into windows.

Now before anyone asks my O/C is perfectly stable. Not a single re-boot and 24hour Prime 95 stable.

Trying to get a 1:1 on my rig, check my sig for stats.

I have my [email protected], my HD4850 is 682core 1100mem/with Fan Fix running good. But don't know how to oc my mem, plus all my voltages are stock. Any help is welcomed what timings are good for my memory to get a 1:1 and what are good voltages to select or is auto in the bios okay. Thanks

I was wondering if anyone has tried this, but can this mb support 3 monitors?

ie. I have a 280 that runs duel monitors, can I run a 3rd off the vga or the hdmi?

I have yet to find a way to run the onboard with a pci-e vcard.

I am thinking about buying one of these motherboards. Mine is about dead I think and with the experience I had from it... I don't want another Intel DG35EC.

I have 8GB of GeIL Esoteria DDR2-800 RAM and I was wondering if this RAM would cause problems with the board?

asus doesn't say it supports many of the ram, including my ocz plat. rev.2, however, i think most ppl would agree with me that as long as the ram are the SAME, they should work fine.

Trying to get a 1:1 on my rig, check my sig for stats.

I have my [email protected], my HD4850 is 682core 1100mem/with Fan Fix running good. But don't know how to oc my mem, plus all my voltages are stock. Any help is welcomed what timings are good for my memory to get a 1:1 and what are good voltages to select or is auto in the bios okay. Thanks

u'll have to increase the voltage, but getting 1:1 timing @ 3.0ghz will be hard.

I can't even get my default timing of 5-5-5-12 without OCing.. its unstable even @ 2.2v... =((
However, i can OC to 3.0ghz np =)

@hakkafusion

What do I increase the voltages to, I thought you only increase them if the system was unstable. Everything is fine the card seems a little wacky I'l go up slowely to see what happens. I just need to know what timings are good for the memory I have, and what's a good voltage to start at with those timings thanks again.

@hakkafusion

What do I increase the voltages to, I thought you only increase them if the system was unstable. Everything is fine the card seems a little wacky I'l go up slowely to see what happens. I just need to know what timings are good for the memory I have, and what's a good voltage to start at with those timings thanks again.

I'm not sure wut volt is good.. what i'm trying to say is.. if the motherboard and ram cannot get those timings to work, it'll be hard to get a lower timing since.. its the hardware that's limiting it, and increasing voltage sometimes cannot compensate for the incompatibility... if someone else has some idea about this, that'd be great =)

i'm trying to push the FSB over 370 but keep getting artifacts. does anyone know what the stock NB voltage on this board is?

I'll admit that I haven't read this entire thread, but can anyone confirm if this board still has all of the power issues that I read about on Newegg?

If so, will a BIOS update fix this or is it hit or miss?

The reasons ask is because I am interested in buying this, but not so interested in RMAing it three times to get a working one.

Thanks.

What power issue are you referring to? I'm one of first one to get this mobo and never had any issue with it. Also I'm still on shipped BIOS and didn't even update it.

I'll admit that I haven't read this entire thread, but can anyone confirm if this board still has all of the power issues that I read about on Newegg?

If so, will a BIOS update fix this or is it hit or miss?

The reasons ask is because I am interested in buying this, but not so interested in RMAing it three times to get a working one.

Thanks.

I've had mine since December and haven't seen any power issues either. I've recently updated from the shipping BIOS to the latest BIOS.

he's refering to the restart issue, where it shuts off and turns back on.
however i don't see any problem with that atm, since my acer laptop does the same thing EVERYTIME, instead the p5e only does it ocassionally. lol

It does that when you change the bios settings. Its a chipset limitation IIRC.

I can't remember, are there sensor to monitor NB and SB temp and voltage? I tried HWmonitor before and couldn't get it if I remember correctly. or is it that HWmonitor just couldn't display it? Anyone was able to see this? I'm about to order HR-05 and SLI along with other heatshinks. I wanna see before and after temp.

Thanks for the respones guys. I am indeed referring to the board powering on and off, or suddenly restarting. Some people have reported this happening 20 times before the computer will boot all the way.

For me, even if it just reboots 2 to 3 times, it is too much. I want to hit the power button, and have it boot. I am using an Abit mobo right now, and I can't stand its dual boot issue where it powers on, then powers off, then powers on all the way.

Are there any other really solid mobos for SFF out right now? (Enthusiast ones that support the latest and greatest?)

Oh that. I don't have that issue. My brother have that double boot issue with his IP35-E which I hate. But from what I heard, it's chipset limitation with P35 but I don't buy that lol. cause I know IP35 Pro doesn't have that issue and some other P35 board doesn't have that issue so there must be a fix. That's one of main reason I kept mine. I thought about replacing with ATX board but mine does Q6600 3.6Ghz no problem and I don't have double boot issue so I didn't want to take chance with other board.

I haven't really checked but I think our board is as good as it gets for MATX for now.

Thanks for the respones guys. I am indeed referring to the board powering on and off, or suddenly restarting. Some people have reported this happening 20 times before the computer will boot all the way.

For me, even if it just reboots 2 to 3 times, it is too much. I want to hit the power button, and have it boot. I am using an Abit mobo right now, and I can't stand its dual boot issue where it powers on, then powers off, then powers on all the way.

Are there any other really solid mobos for SFF out right now? (Enthusiast ones that support the latest and greatest?)

i have never experienced any rebooting of that kind.
what i was referring to was when u try 2 reboot, it powers off then powers back on, but it does not reboot 20 times... or anything like that. it works fine completely. i don't know where you're getting these problems you're referring 2... those ppl must have. either bad bios settings or didn't update their bios.. or installing windows wrong..

when i installed windows 8 months ago with the WD se16... there was ntfs.sys error upon... i still not sure what the problem was... but it required a full repartition and reinstall.. and it happend.. 3 times? i'm pretty sure it is associated with the wd hdds and windows update... probably nothing2do w/ the mobo.

If an overclock fails, the system will shut down. Then when I hit the power button it would start, then shut down again. Then after I hit the power button again, it would load with the default settings (No OC). Only kind of reboot mobo related Ive seen.

I have a minor problem though. When I wake Vista from sleep all fans are set to 100% (which is very noisy) even though the CPU temp drops to 38C. Its only fixed after a reboot. Any solution?

If an overclock fails, the system will shut down. Then when I hit the power button it would start, then shut down again. Then after I hit the power button again, it would load with the default settings (No OC). Only kind of reboot mobo related Ive seen.

I have a minor problem though. When I wake Vista from sleep all fans are set to 100% (which is very noisy) even though the CPU temp drops to 38C. Its only fixed after a reboot. Any solution?

I suggest avoiding Vista sleep, I've had lots of problems with it, such as freezing, individual components not waking up, or plain won't resume from it.

Just shutdown your system instead.

Hi guys,
I have that board too and was experimenting with OC the last few days. I've been having some weird issues. at FSB 400 I need to raise the VCORE to 1.415 to get it stable (CPU E7200). anything lower will or reboot the machine or simply fail all tests.
If I raise the FSB anything over 400 same.

I must be missing some basic settings and would like to know which might cause those sudden reboots...

First I would like to know how to read the auto settings? Any way to see what is beeing set for voltages when it is on Auto? That would allow me to work from there and fine tune at lower VCORE.

I have spent hours trying with different settings, like NB at 1.60, and some other quite high number and still not work. you can see another post of mine on my tests on TechPowerUp

and on the Got my e7200 ... forum on this site

Thanks
Andre

KillaChaos, I also had the same issue with Vista and sleep, and if I remember correctly it used to even crash sometimes. But before hitting the reply button just now I tested sleep again and for the first time it seem to have worked with no 100% fan speed or crashing issues. The only thing I can think of that has changed was that I upgraded to Bios version 604 a few days ago. So try that.
By the way my related Bios settings that might play a role in this issue:
Sleep state = S3 only
ACPI 2 = enabled
(not exact wording, but you'll find those options in the power section of the Bios)
I used to also have problems with hibernation, it would just reboot after powering down ... I wonder if that's resolved now ... I'll have to test that. [EDIT] Tested and now hibernation also works as it should.

nomade1999, have you done the Vmod (pencil mod) discussed somewhere at the beginning of this thread? I had a similar issue with my E8400. Even at vcore set at 1.225v I couldn't get my CPU stable at 400FSB. I did the vmod, and now I am stable at 1.15v with only 0.008 drop between idle and load (previously as bad as 0.056v), quite impressive for something that took only a few minutes to do :p
Other than that all my voltages are set at the minimum setting.

TO ALL, there is a new BIOS version 604

nomade1999, I just read the posts you linked to, and it seems you did the pencil mod, although it seems like you might try reapplying as there is quite a bit of drop. For me, if I go one step higher with vcore there is 0 v. drop, and 0.008 at my stable voltage (lowest I can go).

Anyway I'm gonna put all my settings and hopefully something will help. Even though we are running different CPUs, but same FSB

CPU ratio = Auto
FSB Strap = Auto
FSB = 400
PCI-E = 100

Ram = DDR2-800 @ 4-4-4-12 (so 1:1) ... I've noticed that ratios other than 1:1 seem to be harder to get stable

Clock over charge = 0.7 (lowest setting)
CPU & PCI-E spread spectrum = Disabled

CPU voltage = 1.15v (for the E8400 @ 2.4 to 3.6GHz)
CPU voltage ref. = Auto
CPU voltage damper = Enabled
PLL voltage = 1.50v (lowest setting)
DRam voltage = 2.00v (I'm running on 4x1GB Crucial Tracers, I noticed that I had to set the voltage 2 notches higher when I went from 2 to 4 modules)
FSB termination voltage = 1.20v (lowest setting)
NorthBridge voltage = 1.25v (lowest setting)
Northbridge voltage ref. = Auto
SouthBridge voltage = 1.05v (lowest setting)

Where did you get the new bios (v604) update? I'm not seeing it on the asus website.

Back