ASUS P5N-E SLI

bah bios 703 has bloody fsb holes previous bios would happily run @ 1600 fsb 703 wont run,

either 1500 or 1650+ no problems tho so beware if you want to run 1600fsb leave 703 well alone

Have you gotten around to trying with a floppy?

no haven't broken down and paid the 10 bucks for a floppy drive, but I have burnt the files on to a CD and got the same error as I got with the floppy so I think if it's not working on flash drive or cd then it proably wont work on Floppy.

My computer works so Its not a huge deal that I can't update my bois just more of want than a need.

Interesting crymoreplease. I will check that out when I get home. I had the freeze problem when I first got this setup. I fixed it by overclocking. I don't know how or why that fixed it, but it did. I did flash the bios when I got the rig, but it seems that one is newer.

no haven't broken down and paid the 10 bucks for a floppy drive, but I have burnt the files on to a CD and got the same error as I got with the floppy so I think if it's not working on flash drive or cd then it proably wont work on Floppy.

My computer works so Its not a huge deal that I can't update my bois just more of want than a need.

Just got around to trying the EZ Flash with a floppy, same error. Doesnt work if I boot from floppy and use that afudos utility either :confused:

Afudos?

I tried the Asus EZ Flash and it didn't find any files on my flash drive.
So I created a bootable flash drive, moved the Asus awdflash program on to it along with the bios and was able to flash the bios that way.

Check out this link:
http://www.thepcspy.com/articles/hardware/bootable_usb_flash_drive

The P5N-E SLI awdflash program:
http://dlsvr03.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/flash/AWDFLASH119.zip

0608 bios.
http://dlsvr03.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/socket775/P5N-E SLI/0608.zip

I had a problem upoon reboot where it would get stuck in the Asus bios jpeg page.
Had to move my memory to single yellow slot, boot up change DDR2 speeds and timings and voltages before I was able to run on dual yellow slots. Was not able to run on dual black slots any more.

Ohh and of course I reset the bios to defaults 1st and even removed the battery b/c I thought the flash went bad. Scare!

Did any of you try updating the bios with the ASUS Update flash utility? I'm curious.

Is that the one from within Windows? Nope.

Going to try the Awdflash from a bootable floppy.

EDIT: Okay I dunno where you found that program but it works with the 0703 BIOS I had. No scares or anything. Nice!

ASUS update you found? It comes on your cd. Btw, how's the bios working over the previous ones? I'm on the 0401. 0601 was horrible I had to up my voltages to overclock properly.

bah bios 703 has bloody fsb holes previous bios would happily run @ 1600 fsb 703 wont run,

either 1500 or 1650+ no problems tho so beware if you want to run 1600fsb leave 703 well alone

I experienced the same memory holes at 1600 fsb.. went back to 608 and got my system running at 8x1600=3.2Ghz no problems.

I wish I could find some memory that would run at pc6400 (800mhz) while 4 slots are populated on this board. :D

I wish I could find some memory that would run at pc6400 (800mhz) while 4 slots are populated on this board. :D

My 4x1GB of Buffalo Firestix run fine at 800mhz and higher.

One weird thing that I've run into is that most of the newer bios don't let me change the multiplier. 0401 is the newest that will let me drop it from 9 to 8. I haven't tried 0703 yet, but the last couple versions would automatically reset to 9 everytime I saved changes and restarted.

Well I was able to freely update BIOSes with the latest version of the utility from the site and a floppy. I was getting weird problems though so I went back to 0401.

Now Im getting the occasional failure to boot cuz of OCing. It has been fine for months before this, I think its the fact that Ive put in 4x1GB of DDR2800 RAM. Each piece is good for 8+ hours memtest86+ when I test them alone though. Sigh.

Anyone try the new C2D 1333mhz on this mobo yet?
I'm thinking of upgrading but want to see if anyone got a new bios or have gotten the new chip to work no this mobo.

I know this is a little late, but yes I am running an E6750. Had to flash the BIOS to 0608 to get it to recognize correctly at post. Once booted into Windows it would work correctly, or display correctly, but it took 3 times as long to install Windows with the lower BIOS.

I realize this post is a few months old but I missed the entire thread til now.

You were able to post at anything above 1400 with the p5n-e??
What settings are you using???
I tried 1401 & 1450 with no luck, not even a screen at all.
1400 works though but is flaky.

i think the diff between mine and yours is your using quad core im only on dual less power draw so more able to clock . a good tip ive been told which helps me overclock a wee bit further is to put a heat sink on the power regulators just next to the socket it does let me push higher with this board

i think the diff between mine and yours is your using quad core im only on dual less power draw so more able to clock . a good tip ive been told which helps me overclock a wee bit further is to put a heat sink on the power regulators just next to the socket it does let me push higher with this board

Would that really make a difference though??

made abt a 100mhz diff on my fsb made flaky stable so for me it worked but for others it does nothing like all overclocking its hit and miss

Would it be due to the board not really compatible enough for the quads to OC higher?

Would it be due to the board not really compatible enough for the quads to OC higher?

I don't understand what you mean, "not really compatible enough with quads." They should be fine, the board supports them the same as the duals.

And yes, adding a heatsink to the power regulators helps wick heat away, allowing for better overclocks. This board even has mounting holes for an optional heatsink on the power section. :)

I don't understand what you mean, "not really compatible enough with quads." They should be fine, the board supports them the same as the duals.

And yes, adding a heatsink to the power regulators helps wick heat away, allowing for better overclocks. This board even has mounting holes for an optional heatsink on the power section. :)

I don't have any temp issues. It's just that I cannot boot at any FSB above 1400 no matter what I try which leads me to believe I've either hit a wall, a hole or this board just doesn't like higher overclocks with the quad.

I don't have any temp issues. It's just that I cannot boot at any FSB above 1400 no matter what I try which leads me to believe I've either hit a wall, a hole or this board just doesn't like higher overclocks with the quad.

Keep in mind you are limited to the overclockability of the weakest core. That's what makes overclocking quads so dicey-- you have four points of failure. There's always the question of a jittery power supply, a single board that is bad, memory, etc. But more often than not, one of the cores is complaining. I was shocked to get a 50% overclock out of my C2D 6400 on air. Now I'm seeing people get the 1600MHz 2140 chips up to 3.2GHz-- that's 100% OC. Sweet.

I'm thinking of ditching this board for something else like the PK5 or something. MAYBE an x38 board.

so do 650i boards only have fsb foles? does the 680 or intel offerings have them? its a great chipset but the hole is pissing me off.
Also can any one do their ram at a differnet speed than their fsb? i try but cpu-z reads them the same speed no matter what i put it as.

im sure the chipset it self can handle more for quads cuz some one on the msi sli-fi thread just posted a screen shot of 450 fsb with his quad core cpu. the board just needs the proper bios to make it happen im pretty sure.

Back