Asus P5n32-e-SLI Sound (Soundmax) problem

GZS

n00b
Basically, I got everything installed, put in this new motherboard last night (Replaced a Gigabyte budget board) and everything works good except the sound. Sound plays, it doesn't distort, but holy crap does it sound like ass.

I can't adjust the bass or treble in the advanced settings and overall, it just sounds flat. I can adjust it slightly with my external controls for my speakers, but I use headphones for gaming and my (expensive) headphones sound like a 5 dollar set of walmart junk.

I didn't see any other threads like this, so I assume I'm just an idiot and did something wrong, so, I'll list what I did.

Firstly, I uninstall all drivers (chipset and everything else I could find) for the gigabyte.
Downloaded all of the XP drivers for the Asus.
Turned off the PC and installed the Asus
Turned it on, and canceled all of the hardware installs.
Install each driver manually, excluding the ACPI (I found this out later, it was causing problems)
Booted into safe mode, uninstalled all motherboard drivers again, rebooted, reinstalled chipset, rebooted into normal mode because sound wouldn't install in safe.
In normal mode, installed acpi and audio.

Now, I have no "?" question marks, unrecognized drivers in my device manager. Everything is working correctly, just not up to par. My shitty budget Gigabyte board sounded leaps better than this board. Ideas?

You have the one with the Mini Slot Sound Card correct ?
Did you try get a new bios yet ?

Make your front ports Depending on the Pin out have HD Audio front or the other AC 97.
In my case HD Audio soudned better for my front ports than the AC 97.

And also what I did: I installed the complete System w/o the sound card. Have Windows all the way up to date, then I intalled the Sound card with all its drivers.

It is in the mini slot, I don't think Bios would effect it? Would it?

Front ports are correct, HD as listed on my case (And the wires when I hooked it up, Coolermaster Centuron or whatever)

I'd have to reinstall windows in order to do the last suggestion, which is what I'm trying to avoid.

It is in the mini slot, I don't think Bios would effect it? Would it?

Front ports are correct, HD as listed on my case (And the wires when I hooked it up, Coolermaster Centuron or whatever)

I'd have to reinstall windows in order to do the last suggestion, which is what I'm trying to avoid.

In my case it did, new bios added larger variety of memory and correct FSB support for my E6700. And it also recognized my sound card as Sound Max instead some other misc. Sound.

Also I am asuming you did a XP migration ?
B/C i did a complete Vista New Install b/c the old vista wouldn't get any drivers right no matter what i did for the graphic card the cards tools always crashed or coudln't boot up right. Not sure if that would apply to XP since i haven't used it for 2 years now.

In my case it did, new bios added larger variety of memory and correct FSB support for my E6700. And it also recognized my sound card as Sound Max instead some other misc. Sound.

Also I am asuming you did a XP migration ?
B/C i did a complete Vista New Install b/c the old vista wouldn't get any drivers right no matter what i did for the graphic card the cards tools always crashed or coudln't boot up right. Not sure if that would apply to XP since i haven't used it for 2 years now.

I had that problem up until I installed the ACPI driver. I'll look into the Bios. Thank you.

PS: Also try not to run that EQ tool,... not sure what you call it but it adds another Speaker on ur lower right for volume control. Unless you know how to adjust it and fine tune it. Just have it disabled and have Windows take care of the sound via the installed drivers.

I solved my problem. I bought a freaking sound card because this one blows.

Back