Asus P5Qs

trlundin

n00b
I have been torn apart trying to decide which Asus motherboard to buy for my new build. I have a Q6600 processor that I want to OC and I would like to have the option for SLI. (My first choice was a no go)
Thank you for your time.

Not to sound like a tool, but you are lost and need to research up a bit. SLI = Nvidia chipset (so think 790i), while Crossfire = Intel chipsets. I'm getting a P5Q-D (ordering in a second off egg).

Thank you for pointing that out...this is why I am checking on here (Good thing too). So SLI is out.

edit: What are some boards you think I should look to for SLI? I like Asus...

Jeez, he said - look for nvidia chipset if you are planning to sli. Use newegg excellent feature where you can filter out by make and chipset, features etc, and there you will have it.

Got the point, P5Q is out...
Filtered, but please point me in the right direction. If I knew what I was looking for I would not be on here. 790i is out of price range…something under $250 if it can be helped, $100-200 would be nice.

Do you game at 1920x1200? If not, don't bother with SLI. SLI is only cost-effective once you start playing at 1920x1200. If you do game at 1920x1200 and plan on getting two cards right away, this SLI mobo has been shown to be the least problematic of Nvidia chipset motherboards:
eVGA 123-YW-E175-A nForce 750i FTW SLI Motherboard - $190

780i or 680i would be your best bet.

P5N-T or P5N32-E SLI
Agreed.

If you're looking for SLI, then read the reviews, do some research, and decide on which mobo you want. I have a used P5N32-E SLI for sale. If you're interested, lmk. If you don't care for SLI, then go with the P5Q-Deluxe. It's a great mobo. And by the looks of it the better choice with the way the HD4000 series of video cards is shaping up. You could buy the P5Q and crossfire (AMD/ATI's equivalent of SLI) 2 hd4850s or hd4870s together for cheap. But, it's your call.

P5N-T, P5N32-E. etc. will be nowhere as good as the P5Q as far as overclocking/stability goes. If you really need/want SLI the only mobo I recommend is the EVGA 750i FTW. As Xbox mentioned you could go with two 4850's and a P45 mobo and get killer price to performance and also killer overclocking. Any P45 with 2 PCI-E x16 slots from Asus, MSI, Gigabyte or Biostar should be good.

Thanks for all the help everyone. Not running around in the dark any more.
It started with P5Q and looks like thats where I am heading back to. Guess I will give ATI another try...$$$ talks

Do you game at 1920x1200? If not, don't bother with SLI. SLI is only cost-effective once you start playing at 1920x1200.

I'm glad you mentioned this as I'm in the market for another MB along with a new E8400 and was wondering given the cheap prices of 8800GT cards lately whether or not it would be worth it to go SLI for me. I only game at 1680x1050 so I guess I'll stick with one GPU.

Had another question, what about the P5Q3-D?
Bad reviews on new egg, but does anyone on here have one?
>$10 and have DDR3....

Back