Asus P5W DH Deluxe And SLI

Thanatos.

Gawd
Well before you start telling me if you wanted SLI buy a SLI board hear my story out.
From my sig you can see i have a Main system with the Asus P5W DH Deluxe board and a 8800GTS and a Shuttle with a 7900GT well the 7900GT was artifacting really bad So sent it in for RMA and what i got back was a 8800GTS. Well i could mod my Shuttle to make it fit but im pretty sure its 250W power supply wont be able to handle the 8800 plus it hot enough in there as it is so here i am with a videocard that wont work in my Shuttle and a Mobo that isnt a SLI board. now ive read about there being driver hacks for this but most are the 91 drivers is there a new Hack that would allow me to run the new drivers and still get SLI from this board? Would it even be worth it to try and run hacked drivers for games? my system is stable and i dont want to have to deal with crap going wrong.

... Would it even be worth it to try and run hacked drivers for games? my system is stable and i dont want to have to deal with crap going wrong.

No, not if you want your system to remain stable.

Thats what i was afraid of :( so which SLI board should i go for? Overclockablity would be nice and nothing over $150 as money isnt as abundant as it used to be. Guess i could sell the extra card as well but where is the fun in that? :p

With a 20" LCD and a 720P HDTV, neither of which need SLI powered graphics, it would be more trouble than its worth to setup SLI -- you'll see very little performance improvement. You're better off selling the card and buying a new one for your SFF system.

If you want to have fun and OC a quadcore, you'll need either an nForce 750i SLI FTW or 780i SLI FTW (yes, those "FTW"s are part of the model name). ;)

Well before too long i will be getting a BenQ G2400 hence the idea to maybe do sli. The HTPC has a 7300GS in it for now, i wish i had something a little more powerful in it but considering i dont play PC games on the TV its not that big of a deal plus im not sure if i will be able to fit any of the new cards in it. But more and more i am leaning towards just selling the 8800.

Even with a 24" LCD, the old 8800GTS G80's in SLI are only slightly better than a single 8800GTX. So, any card that can outperform an 8800GTX will most likely outperform your G80's in SLI.

As for the TV, if you watch any HD video content, you may want to upgrade to card that can help encode/decode HD video (8400, 8500, 8600, G92 8800, and higher; HD2400, 2600, 3450 and higher).

Alright, well thanks for the info enginurd looks like i need to do some measuring of the biggest card i can fit in my shuttle and do some shopping.

Back