ASUS P5W DH DELUXE/WIFI-AP BIOS shows red with 2.2V setting for RAM

Triangulum

n00b
I am building new system and I have got Asus P5W DH Deluxe motherboard and Crucial Ballistix 2GB 240-Pin DDR2 800 (BL2KIT12864AA804) RAM.

As usual BIOS didn't detect it with correct speed. So I set it manually and I also set timings as specified in specs of this ram - 4-4-4-12.

Right now I have set voltage for memory to 1.9V. But official specs suggests 2.2V. When I set 2.2V in BIOS it shows me in red color. So, I guess, it is suggesting that 2.2V might cause some problem.

So my question is, should I ignore BIOS and set it to 2.2V or keep it at 1.9V?

CPU-Z detects memory running at 400 MHz even with 1.9V settings.

If I keep it at 1.9V, would it make my system unstable? I sometimes play game for 9-10 hrs.

I wouldn't worry about it. Just put a fan over the ram and you should be just fine. I run my D9GMH at 2.3v 24/7 with a fan over them and haven't had a trace of a problem yet.

Just use whatever voltage you need to get them stable. If they are stable with 1.9v, then use 1.9v. If not, try 2v, and so on.

dragonorta said:
I wouldn't worry about it. Just put a fan over the ram and you should be just fine. I run my D9GMH at 2.3v 24/7 with a fan over them and haven't had a trace of a problem yet.

Just use whatever voltage you need to get them stable. If they are stable with 1.9v, then use 1.9v. If not, try 2v, and so on.

Thx. I will put a fan with 2.2V setting. Fan will make me less worried about heating issue, if there will be any. Right now my system is on for 2 days at 1.9V and I haven't seen any problem yet. Hopefully will not see anything in future too.

Edit: I will keep it set at 1.9V until I hit any problem.

If your ram operates stable at 1.9v I'd leave it at that. No sense pumping extra voltage through the system you don't need.

Dan_D said:
If your ram operates stable at 1.9v I'd leave it at that. No sense pumping extra voltage through the system you don't need.

Yeah. I agree. I meant to change it 2.2V only if I hit any problem. Edited my previous post.

I have the P5B Vanilla and the same Crucial RAM. Originally I had it at 1.8/1.9v, at DDR2 800, and I wouldn't notice issues while just doing general stuff like word processing, browsing the web, etc. However, in games based upon the Source engine, it would regularly crash to desktop.

I ran the system over-night with memtest86+ at the settings, and recieved upwards of around 150 errors or so (if I remember correctly).

I upped the voltage to 2.1v (the highest the regular P5B currently goes), set timings to 5-5-5-15, and the next time of running memtest86+, after ~11 hours, only 1 error, so I left it at those. I've only had one error with HL2.exe, and it didn't even crash the game ( I saw it after I had stopped playing).

I'm thinking though of replacing the P5B with the Biostar TForce P965 Deluxe once it's actually available here.

Back