ASUS P6T Deluxe @ [H]

Is the OCZ Platinum Low-Voltage DIMM Kit 6GB PC3-12800U CL7-7-7-24 (DDR3-1600) (OCZ3P1600LV6GK) RAM compatible with the Asus board?

Another essential question arose: Does the soundchip on this board support the output of AC3/DTS multichannel sound? Would be great if anybody knows this or if someone could test this out. Thanks so much.

I have no problems with AC3 and DTS playing through coax or optical SPDIF. I've tested this through Windows Media Player and Windows Media Center in Vista and movies played fine in full surround. If using SPDIF, you have to make sure that it's set up right in control panel. I think it defaults the digital to HDMI out and analog speaker output.

...the only problems with sound that I'm getting are a static when the microphone is active and the front header output giving me problems. The static/distortion go away when the mic is turned off in the sound config. I guess it's really only a problem when playing multi-player online games. ...it's not a deal-breaker but, a real annoying issue and something to be aware of.

Is the OCZ Platinum Low-Voltage DIMM Kit 6GB PC3-12800U CL7-7-7-24 (DDR3-1600) (OCZ3P1600LV6GK) RAM compatible with the Asus board?

I'm pretty sure that most tri-channel kits will be ok. I think it's only certain dual channel kits that are compatible though.

I tried both the tri-channel OCZ Gold kits and now I'm on the G.Skill tri-channel kid and both worked great.

Word from ASUS on the eSATA issue.

We’ve replicated the eSATA issue with a 1TB Western Digital External drive and the Marvell controller. WD is also aware of this issue.

Link to WD Customer Help site.

Our HQ is contacted Marvell last week and we’re pending updates. Thanks for the headsup, I’ll let you know as soon as I hear more.

I just ordered this mobo for my new build. I haven't posted here in years, and I haven't been this excited to get a package in a long time. :)

You guys that have had this board for a bit, has it been stable so far with mild overclocks?

anyone running a p6t in sli? I cant get the option, im using the latest whql driver

Can someone enlighten me why WD drives have comparability issues with some boards, BIOS maybe?
It's actually Marvell's fault, bad firmware on the SATA controller chipset.

Is it possible to flash the firmware of the Marvell conroller once there is a fixed firmware available?

Is it possible to flash the firmware of the Marvell conroller once there is a fixed firmware available?

Firmware updates for the onboard hardware are contained in BIOS updates. So ASUS will issue a new BIOS that includes firmware upgrades for the Marvell controller.

I just ordered this mobo for my new build. I haven't posted here in years, and I haven't been this excited to get a package in a long time. :)

You guys that have had this board for a bit, has it been stable so far with mild overclocks?

Stable and really easy to overclock. I had the Evga 680i and 780i and I had a great overclock but, it took hours of messing with it to get a stable and sizeable overclock. The P6T took around 5 minutes to get a great overlcock.

The initial setup took me a bit since everything is so much different in the P6T's BIOS than what I was used to. I guess I'd just recommend to read over a list of what means what (and what setting controls what) in the BIOS since you're waiting for it anyways. ...this'll make the setup a ton easier.

Stable and really easy to overclock. I had the Evga 680i and 780i and I had a great overclock but, it took hours of messing with it to get a stable and sizeable overclock. The P6T took around 5 minutes to get a great overlcock.

The initial setup took me a bit since everything is so much different in the P6T's BIOS than what I was used to. I guess I'd just recommend to read over a list of what means what (and what setting controls what) in the BIOS since you're waiting for it anyways. ...this'll make the setup a ton easier.

I too have found it much faster to find the maximum stable overclock on a Core i7 system.

Thanks god for an upcoming BIOS update to fix eSATA!

This new build has been useless because I have a LOT of data (music, VMs) on my external and USB 2.0 doesn't cut it.

Thanks Kyle!

Anyone get optic to work on the onboard sound? I have an onkyo reciever hooked up to through optic and it doesnt want to work haha :mad:

Any word on a fix for the poor optical SATA drive performance issues?

I see a P6T Deluxe V2 on the Asus site.

What is the difference between the P6T Deluxe and that?

Just no SAS?

This has been discussed many times. The only obvious change is the lack of SAS on the V2 board.

ASUS tech support is terrible. I guess this isn't news, but wow. I called today and they took a message to have a tech call back as soon as possible. "Today?", I asked? "No, maybe on Monday, but it may be later. Please be patient because of lots of calls around the holidays". This is what you get the limited times when they are actually open and after being on hold for 10 minutes. That's right. 10 minutes for them to take your number down to call you back another day when they are open.

All I want is a BIOS that works with my video cards.. :(

I too have found it much faster to find the maximum stable overclock on a Core i7 system.

I'd have to say that this is the best overclocking system that I've put together yet. It felt like I had to juggle voltage settings (and the resulting heat) a LOT more on other platforms. Just reading the forums, the P6T and Core i7 seem to give more consistent results. I always feel like that's a good sign. It seems that they're really starting to cater to enthusiasts and overclockers!

Anyone get optic to work on the onboard sound? I have an onkyo reciever hooked up to through optic and it doesnt want to work haha :mad:

The P6T defaults on the speaker output. I'm using Vista so, I'll give you a step-by-step in Vista.

Open Control Panel and Sound (or just right click on the speaker icon on the lower right corner then, hit Playback Devices). Right click on SPDIF interface and hit Set as Default Device. Double click on the SPDIF interface icon and then adjust the Supported Formats and Advanced tabs. This should enable both the optical TOSlink and coax SPDIF outputs for pretty much everything.

If you've installed the Soundmax drivers, you probably want to disable AudioESP. It seems that the jack sensing doesn't work right (not sure if this is only if you've connected the front panel hd audio interface or not). It'll freak out and (after searching Google, Live and Excite), this seems like a fairly common problem with the AD2000b audio. Better yet, don't plug stuff into the front panel.

I've also found that with the Soundmax drivers, the mic is ultra sensitive. ...anything over 5 volume gives me a crazy heartbeat sound in my speakers and if I plug headphone into the onboard sound, it goes crazy.

You should also test to see what the max sampling that your output supports and set everything accordingly.

...hope that helps!

anyone else having issues with 12gb of ram???I seem to run into a cold boot issue with 12gb of ram.

Nope. I have 12gb and I haven't had any issues with it.

FYI, I have the onboard audio, ethernet, SAS, and E-SATA/IDE ports disabled.

mmm... I love 12gb ram.

(LMK if the pic works for you. I just changed to hosting my pics on my home server, so I don't know if it will actually show up for everyone)
12gb.jpg

Nope. I have 12gb and I haven't had any issues with it.

FYI, I have the onboard audio, ethernet, SAS, and E-SATA/IDE ports disabled.

mmm... I love 12gb ram.

(LMK if the pic works for you. I just changed to hosting my pics on my home server, so I don't know if it will actually show up for everyone)

Pic worked fine. What are you using to max out that RAM?

Pic worked fine. What are you using to max out that RAM?

VMware. I just have to fire up my test exchange, moodle and db servers for work. A little 12gb of ram doesn't stand a chance. Running them on 8gb was painful. If I'd had the cash, my home machine would have the same ram as each of the machines in my VMware cluster, 32gb. :eek:

I virtualized my entire workplace last summer. I have the VMware bug big time. Even my laptop has an install of VMware on it so I can take a server or 2 with me so I can test patches/upgrades or whatever while I am on the go.

Once I know the P6T is 100% stable (it has been so far) I am going to enable SAS and throw in a couple large SAS drives because SATA has a tough time running all of the VMs.

i have another question in regards to sound cards. i have a XFI creative sound card from my old pc(Normal PCI). is it better then the onboard one inside the above Boards? Is the boards compatible with it?

how easy is it to OC on this board? is it easy as in i type in the GHZ i want my 920 to be at, say for example 3.2ghz. will the bios set it all up for me?

VMware. I just have to fire up my test exchange, moodle and db servers for work. A little 12gb of ram doesn't stand a chance. Running them on 8gb was painful. If I'd had the cash, my home machine would have the same ram as each of the machines in my VMware cluster, 32gb. :eek:

I virtualized my entire workplace last summer. I have the VMware bug big time. Even my laptop has an install of VMware on it so I can take a server or 2 with me so I can test patches/upgrades or whatever while I am on the go.

Once I know the P6T is 100% stable (it has been so far) I am going to enable SAS and throw in a couple large SAS drives because SATA has a tough time running all of the VMs.

Yeah, I'm going to virtualize much of my hardware as well. I'll be using my Skulltrail to do that once I get a Core i7.

i have another question in regards to sound cards. i have a XFI creative sound card from my old pc(Normal PCI). is it better then the onboard one inside the above Boards? Is the boards compatible with it?

how easy is it to OC on this board? is it easy as in i type in the GHZ i want my 920 to be at, say for example 3.2ghz. will the bios set it all up for me?
It seems to be quite easy according to the [H] crew. Watch the overclocking video on the main site...you only mess with a few settings and are actually advised not to over tweak things apparently.

It seems to be quite easy according to the [H] crew. Watch the overclocking video on the main site...you only mess with a few settings and are actually advised not to over tweak things apparently.

Yep that's about it. Five or six settings are about all you need to overclock a Core i7 processor.

I just had a chance to play around with the audio extensively and upgraded my receiver to a higher quality model with full 24/192KHz support. Here's what I found with the audio:

The quick and easy is that it's good but, quirky.

The long version is that for music and movies, it's more than adequate unless you're looking for Dobly TrueHD and DTS-HD support. I think the only card that supports that at the moment is Asus's top Xonar model anyway. For games, it's also fine unless you want full EAX support.

The quirky comes in when you try and use the optical and coax digital output. You manually set SPDIF as default. Once enabled, I found that my case's front panel audio plugged into the header on the motherboard will not work. Also, the mic is extra-sensitive and the max sample rate is 16bit. Using the analog outputs, none of these problems exist. ...you get full 24bit/192KHz with the headphones being auto-detected and switching just fine.

After discovering these quirks, they're not a huge problem. Unfortunately, Asus support doesn't know anything about these and nowhere in the manual is this discussed. ...I'd also like to see the optical and coax get a full 24bit sample rate (using SoundMax drivers) though since that's what is advertised.

I don't have an X-Fi but, I have been researching audio cards. I haven't read anybody complaining about the X-Fi cards with the x58 chipset. Since I don't have the card, I can't tell you for certain though.

...and if you can install an OS, you can easily overclock this motherboard.

Tried Asus' new BIOS today and it still didn't fix the eSATA issues with my Western Digital drives.

Decided to try a Seagate eSATA 1TB drive and it doesn't work either. Looks like the eSATA port doesn't work at all which leads me to ask, why did they put it on there?

Thanks Asus ... thanks a lot.

I just had a chance to play around with the audio extensively and upgraded my receiver to a higher quality model with full 24/192KHz support. Here's what I found with the audio:

The quick and easy is that it's good but, quirky.

The long version is that for music and movies, it's more than adequate unless you're looking for Dobly TrueHD and DTS-HD support. I think the only card that supports that at the moment is Asus's top Xonar model anyway. For games, it's also fine unless you want full EAX support.

The quirky comes in when you try and use the optical and coax digital output. You manually set SPDIF as default. Once enabled, I found that my case's front panel audio plugged into the header on the motherboard will not work. Also, the mic is extra-sensitive and the max sample rate is 16bit. Using the analog outputs, none of these problems exist. ...you get full 24bit/192KHz with the headphones being auto-detected and switching just fine.

After discovering these quirks, they're not a huge problem. Unfortunately, Asus support doesn't know anything about these and nowhere in the manual is this discussed. ...I'd also like to see the optical and coax get a full 24bit sample rate (using SoundMax drivers) though since that's what is advertised.

I don't have an X-Fi but, I have been researching audio cards. I haven't read anybody complaining about the X-Fi cards with the x58 chipset. Since I don't have the card, I can't tell you for certain though.

...and if you can install an OS, you can easily overclock this motherboard.

Thanks for the input. itr eally sounds as if im bets using my X fi card then. it uses a normal PCI slot, i suppose this mobo still has one?

About overclocking, wow it sounds as if its easier to OC this cpu then a core 2. so i can simply type in a GHZ value say umm 3.2ghz and it will bump my cpu automaticly with the correct voltage and FSB or mutiplier to correspond my cpu running at 3.2ghz?

Yep that's about it. Five or six settings are about all you need to overclock a Core i7 processor.

It isn't even that difficult if you are only doing a mild overclock.

To make my 920 run at 3ghz, I bumped it up from 133 to 150, gave a mild boost to the CPU voltage, (I am backing that down and might even be able to run that at the default) and manually set the ram speed. (It kept on bumping it to the lowest speed) That was it, 100% stable. This "small" overclock doesn't even require me to make any fan/airflow changes to my near silent computer.

133 being the fsb? yea i saw the video. seems very easy to do so, dod you OC the PCI bridge as well and the DRAM stuff too?

i also noticed that [H] disabled the turbo stuff

133 being the fsb? yea i saw the video. seems very easy to do so, dod you OC the PCI bridge as well and the DRAM stuff too?

i also noticed that [H] disabled the turbo stuff

The base clock, but whatever.

Here is the pick of how hard it is to get 3ghz out of the 920. ;)

The only thing that annoys me is that they only allow the 6 and 8 multipliers for the ram for locked CPUs. I have DDR3-1600 ram, so I wish I could push it faster without having to crank the BCLK way up.

3ghz.jpg

I've got two dumb questions that I need help on:

1. I have the p6t deluxe and a seasonic 750w psu. Do I connect the 4pin atx12v plug into the capped off eatx12v socket, or do i use the 8pin EPS12v plug and uncap that socket? (does EPS12v = EATX12v?) What is the difference between the the 4pin and 8pin if either is interchangeable? I've looked in the manual but it isn't clear as to which to use.

2. Can i plug normal SATA drives into the SAS ports? Do i have to alter the bios for the drives to work?
edit: think i found the answer to this one (do i still need to do anything in the bios?):
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1384294

Thank you

I would use the 8pin EPS line from your psu into that socket for max power stability... here some pinout info... it's all just 12v and ground.

As you discovered, I am pretty sure you can run a SATA drive on the SAS ports.. but not the other way around. I don't know about the bios, but someone said you might have to run the SAS controller in raid mode.. not sure on that.

those are to give a psu flexibility between using ATX (4pin) or EPS (8pin) mobos.. but lots of higher powered psus have both these days.. the 4+4 and the 8pin.. I guess that will finally come in handy with the eVGA classified board with it's dual 8pin EPS sockets. :eek:

edit: beat me to the punch. ;)

Yes my PSU has both a 4pin ATX and an 8pin EPS power connector.

So the way to go is to uncap the other half of the socket and go with the 8pin EPS line?

yes if your going to overclock.

btw this may sound like a dumb question but im coming from a pentium 4 system and wondering why the hell does mobo's these days including this have TWO netwok connectors at the back of the mobo?

so you can connect to two different networks? why? never heard of a pc connecting to two different networks.

Back