ASUS P6X58D Premium Review

Cheers for that. I'm days away from pulling the trigger. Between this, the Bjorn3D writeup and the positive response the board continues to receive from end users, I'm pretty happy with the decision. "Bullet proof" BIOS, "near pefect" layout, "outstanding" build quality. Can't argue with that. I've done a ton of research, I've scoured Google for negative comments; of course I've found a few but it seems the vast majority absolutely love the P6X58D ... which they should, considering the price tag.

I have this board and I've had two issues. One of the SATA 3Gbps seems to have died. Not really a huge issue as this board has eight. I didn't feel like packing it up and sending it back for that. As long as I don't loose another I won't even notice the problem but still something that's irkesome.

Secondly, and this is a fairly well documented issue, the board seems to forget its hard drive settings from time to time, and will boot the wrong drive. That may be partly my issue as well as most of my drives were actaully primary OS drives at some point and are all bootable, so from time to time the BIOS boots the wrong drive. I have to go back and set it in BIOS. There's a new BIOS I've not yet installed that may help with the issue.

I was planing on replacing the keeping the guts of this system for my i7-980 build but I may just start from scratch, not sure yet how I plan to approach that upgrade.

With that said, my system is rock solid at 4Ghz and everything runs smoothly in Windows 7. So overall I'm happy, just the issues that I've mentioned.

Secondly, and this is a fairly well documented issue, the board seems to forget its hard drive settings from time to time ...
Yup. That's one I've run across a few times. The board forgets which drive to boot from OR takes forever to boot when there isn't a drive plugged into one of the SATA6 ports.

Yup. That's one I've run across a few times. The board forgets which drive to boot from OR takes forever to boot when there isn't a drive plugged into one of the SATA6 ports.

Hopefully fixed in a BIOS update at some point if it hasn't been already.

Yeah, I never noticed the SATA6 issue as I actually do have them both plugged in, guess I was lucky there.

I really don't like the way bmr does their reviews. They recycle so much text over and over that their reviews just become screen after screen of text and general information related to the platform.

I believe if you're not using the sata6 ports you can just disable them and then it will never try to boot from them before the sata3 ports. Iirc I read that somewhere on this site.. <.<;

I personally am just waiting for a sale before I buy it. I was just a day too late to catch the newegg sale that placed it at 285; currently it's 310. :(

My local MC has it for $295 but tax kills it being a fair deal.

I may try to wait until the Rampage III Extreme ships in March before I make a final decision and spend the cash.

My local MC just sold out of their last 2... Just as I was going to put in a store pick up order... :(

would like to second a [H] review! come on guys we need to see an X58 w/ Sata 6gb Review with emphasis on the above mentioned problem

I think the reason for the lack of reviews online for the PCX58D Premium is because the board is the exact same as the P6TD Deluxe line with the only difference being the addition of the SATA 6Gb/s + USB 3.0 controllers...otherwise they probably perform the same

any roadmap or timeframe for intel to incorporate these(read sata III and USB3.0) into the ICH chipset?

I love the board but it pains me that they laid out the expansions slots the way they did. You can only use 2 double slot video cards and 1 1 slot video card in most modern cases.

Yeah. You need an 8-slot case to take advantage of the bottom PCI-e x16. A wide GPU will not have a slot for exhaust, otherwise.

Back