ASUS P6X58D reviews/opinions?

Last edited:
PCI is considered legacy now. Same with ide/floppy.

You can run 3 pci express 16x video cards but they will be limited to 16x/8x/8x in transer speeds. if you did want to run 3 vid card then the on board sound or a usb external dac is the way to go.

PCI is considered legacy now. Same with ide/floppy.

sucks that a high end PCI sound card is considered legacy now :(

I know Vista changed the audio kernal and removed EAX in favor of OpenAL but I still think a good dedicated sound card beats any onboard sound solution

I like my Auzentech Prelude 7.1 PCI card even better then the newer PCI-E sound card offerings

anyone know what the latest revision for the board is?...I received mine today and it's Revision 1.04g...is this the latest one?...how many revisions have there been so far?

anyone know what the latest revision for the board is?...I received mine today and it's Revision 1.04g...is this the latest one?...how many revisions have there been so far?

Don't know and I really don't care how many revisions there have been. It's not like it matters.

Is there any reason to get this board over a P6T Deluxe V2 if I never plan on having 3 video cards?

then keep your P6T...that is an excellent board

I don't have either yet, my newegg wishlist has been trimmed down to a choice between the p6t or the p6x58d. The price difference between the two is $20. I'm mostly concerned with stability and not having issues like the electronic whine someone experienced while moving their mouse a few posts up.

Will I have issues fitting two 5870's and a PCIE 1x sound card on either of these boards?

Thank you for the prompt reply.

I still can't make my mind up on the P6T or P6X58D. It probably doesn't matter...

I am building mine in an FT-02 with an H50 and have run out of fan connectors...

Channel 1 Fan = 180mm
Channel 2 Fan = 180mm
Channel 3 Fan = Exhaust 120mm

cpu-fan = rear 180mm

PWR fan = H50 pump

All fans are pwm

Using a Seasonic X750 powersupply

I have the H50 rad above the rear 180mm fan. I wanted to put the 120mm Corsair on top of the rad for a push-pull but do not have any more fan headers!

any help guys?

FalconSS, why not get a fan controller to fit in an external 3.5 or 5.25" bay?

an extra expense, but mostly I don't know which ones are any good. I've never used one and haven't done much research on them.

Currently all my fans in both computers are either taled to a molex or I use 3pin to molex adapter. In the past I used the Nexus fan and light controller.
I never have liked plugging any fan into the mobo headers. It always seams like the headers hold back the fan or add some kind of odd whine. Even with any fan/rpm control disabled in the bios.

Sorry if this was asked already, but how would the GA-X58A-UD5 compare? I am also building a pc with the 980x in mind and I will be overclocking.

For what it's worth I just want to add that I have been very happy with my P6X58D. I have had it since the end of January and have been too busy enjoying it to write comments about it :). I'm not a very deeply committed overclocker but I made a basic effort to put my core i7 920 up to 4GHz at 1.3 V.

Last edited:
Sorry if this was asked already, but how would the GA-X58A-UD5 compare? I am also building a pc with the 980x in mind and I will be overclocking.

Not a lot differently. Expect a little over 4 GHz with normal cooling, I'm at 4.125 GHz with my H50 with hyperthreading on which looks to mewhat most people are hilting.

I have had this motherboard for almost 2 months now and love it. It has been rock solid and runs my 920 at 4ghz with ease (H50 cooling).

Since I had the picture I figure I'd post up this board next to a Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R. I think I like the setup of the Asus slightly better, except the damn onboard USB headers were upside down!

DSC_1986.JPG

quick question... Can this board "boot" without a video card? I mean able to get into the Bios or possible the Espressgate? The reason I ask is I have finished everything on my build but the video card and it will be another two weeks before I can get it and I really want to test it.

What good is trying to test it without video? It's not like you'd be able to change BIOS settings or install an OS... patience grasshoppa!

Man, I really wish you could run x16 in slots 1 & 3. :( Just thinking about it after hearing Fermi SLI is not recommended with the cards right next to each other. I will probably skip it much less get 2, just makes you think.

Man, I really wish you could run x16 in slots 1 & 3. :( Just thinking about it after hearing Fermi SLI is not recommended with the cards right next to each other. I will probably skip it much less get 2, just makes you think.

That's because Fermi gets so hot the air in the case would literally burst into flames if you had dual cards side-by-side!

Well I can report that CrossfireX 5870's (In the first 2 16x slots) with an Auzentech Forte (In the 3rd 16x slot) works perfectly. 16x/16x/1x. No problems with clearance on the mobo or any other issues.

Guess I should update this thread and say I ended up with this motherboard and I'm quiet happy with it. Running with an i7 920 @ 3.6Ghz at vCore 1.18 (bios) and HT off. I can keep it stable with HT on but it's a little too hot for my liking, right now it's 60degrees C at load with prime.

Last edited:
It's probably worth mentioning that there is now an E revision of this board available (p6x58d-e).

The new board has an updated raid controller, one less ethernet port, less heatpipes and doesn't include the optional fan, but costs around $80 less. I picked one up from ewiz the other day for $220 shipped, and newegg now has it listed as well.

I have this board, and had the P6T before it, I find it runs / works fine =) I've had it running with a D0 920 @ 3.2, 3.6 and 4.0 with no issues.

I also use a pci-e e-sata card, and a pci sound card.

It's probably worth mentioning that there is now an E revision of this board available (p6x58d-e).

The new board has an updated raid controller, one less ethernet port, less heatpipes and doesn't include the optional fan, but costs around $80 less. I picked one up from ewiz the other day for $220 shipped, and newegg now has it listed as well.

I'd like to see a direct comparison of these two. The "E" version is missing some stuff I wouldn't care about (the fan for one) but it is also missing some odd things, like the onboard reset button. Still have the power switch though? Weird.

This is the worst motherboard I've ever had the displeasure of working with. My friend bought one since he couldn't resist usb/sata 3 and has had me trouble shooting it for weeks now. This motherboard suffers from MASSIVE ram compatibility issues. I had my friend RMA his OCZ 1600 Golds since the system was having random BSODs and failing prime95 blend tests instantly despite the fact the sticks passed a day of memtest. Same problem with the new replacements which I confirmed working in my own rig. Looking at asus's pathetic forums it can be seen that similar ram issues are commonplace, with replacement boards not fixing the problem.

If you don't have this board, stay away at all costs!

If you do, what memory are you using?

This is the worst motherboard I've ever had the displeasure of working with. My friend bought one since he couldn't resist usb/sata 3 and has had me trouble shooting it for weeks now. This motherboard suffers from MASSIVE ram compatibility issues. I had my friend RMA his OCZ 1600 Golds since the system was having random BSODs and failing prime95 blend tests instantly despite the fact the sticks passed a day of memtest. Same problem with the new replacements which I confirmed working in my own rig. Looking at asus's pathetic forums it can be seen that similar ram issues are commonplace, with replacement boards not fixing the problem.

Problems with one particular model of one particular brand of memory hardly constitutes "MASSIVE memory compatibility issues".

Many users have had zero problems using Corsair, Mushkin and GSkill sticks in this board. Personally I'm using Mushkin ridgebacks (998827) and they work flawlessly. From what I've seen, there aren't any more memory compatibility issues with this board than there are on any other x58 board.

I guess you don't realise why mobos have a memory compatibility list. Better off getting tested memory rather than taking a gamble on some brand you personally like or that is really cheap.

I've had zero problems with this board, although it is not very compatible with the HAF 922 case due to the location of the HAF 922's motherboard cutout. It's not a deal-breaker since I don't plan on switching coolers very often!

Back