Asus p8p67 I7 2600k to 4.5 with offset voltage request assistance

polynut

n00b
Hi guy's

I am new to the overclocking world and as an indie game developer with very low income i am trying to squeeze more performance from my I7 2600k to help in rendering and other task.

I have already read a lot of guides from here and elsewhere but these guides often use fixed voltage and i would prefer to use the offset voltage technique but even after reading the thread regarding it i am still confuse on how to proceed.

I am aiming at a very reasonable overclock of 4.5 with a deepcool gammax 400 as cooler.

What i did yesterday was to first put the ratio to 40 for a mild overclock that is suppose to work fine with stock voltage then i run prime95+intelburn test for a few hours without errors then i change the ratio to 42 and did the same series of test without errors and finally i leave it at 42 and put the machine to sleep and SURPRISE when i tried to wake up my machine i heard 2 loud beep from the motherboard and was not able to boot at all.

After shutting down the power switch from the psu i did a restart and was finally able to get into bios screen where i revert it to 40 and was able to boot normally.

So i got scared a bit with my first experience and if anyone can assist me i would be very greatful.

Regards Peter

Last edited:
Try set voltage to 1.35v fixed at 4.5ghz, you need to confirm if you're stable ~4.5ghz at a particular voltage then work on your offset. Most 2600k's were able to achieve 4.5 with around that voltage. I had friends 2600ks at 4.2ghz using 1.25v~ and they lasted a while like that without change.

Try set voltage to 1.35v fixed at 4.5ghz, you need to confirm if you're stable ~4.5ghz at a particular voltage then work on your offset. Most 2600k's were able to achieve 4.5 with around that voltage. I had friends 2600ks at 4.2ghz using 1.25v~ and they lasted a while like that without change.

Thank for the quick reply Reaper i will stress it at 1.35 for 12 hour and will report back with my results.

My chip's a dud but stable.

4.2 @ 1.3v

Damn that's one of the worst I've seen. I've been using it at 4.8GHz for years but recently took it back to stock since it doesn't see any action except for DOTA and browsing the web.

My chip's a dud but stable.

4.2 @ 1.3v

The silicon lottery was not on your side effectively! I have no idea if my 2600 k is a winner but i will surely try to see where he can get since we can easily find used one for 40 to 50$ on Ebay.

The silicon lottery was not on your side effectively! I have no idea if my 2600 k is a winner but i will surely try to see where he can get since we can easily find used one for 40 to 50$ on Ebay.

Actually bought it used 3 months ago lol

Pretty sure this chip has had multiple owners and been burnt to a singe..

OK back with result and i think i have a solid cpu since i am stable at 4.7 1.35 volt after 12 hr prime95 and 10 pass of intel burn test + playing a few games without any strange behavior. Now can someone just help me to know what value i have to enter in the offset +? My temp never go higher than 71 c at full load.

Last edited:
A starting point would be to put everything back to stock and check your voltage under load. +offset should be whatever the difference between stock and 1.35 is.

Make sure to keep an eye on you load line calibration and \ or vdroop settings as these can mess with your voltages too. You will likely need to use something like cpu-z to check what your actual core voltages (at stock and now) are if you are currently just going off the bios settings.

A starting point would be to put everything back to stock and check your voltage under load. +offset should be whatever the difference between stock and 1.35 is.

Make sure to keep an eye on you load line calibration and \ or vdroop settings as these can mess with your voltages too. You will likely need to use something like cpu-z to check what your actual core voltages (at stock and now) are if you are currently just going off the bios settings.

Hi Kardonxt and thank for the quick reply, after some more testing i found out i was not stable at all and i crash prime inside 2hr on second test, i have no idea why i was able to make it for 12 hr the night before and now 2 hr and bsod! I already have all software running for testing purpose and stock voltage in cpu-z indicate 1.248 to 1.256 under prime95 full load.

When i test at 4.7 the only value i change in the bios was vrm frequency to 350 and i set voltage to manual at 1.35 and all the rest was set to auto. After reading a few overclocking threads i found out that most people at 4.7 were often in the 1.4 volt value range. My chip is 7 years old so maybe they demand more voltage as they age!

Drop back to 4.5ghz. Not all Sandy Bridge K models would easily do 4.7. See how you go there.

Ok latest update indicate i probably don't have a golden chip since i crash at 1.36 then i put it at 1.37 and crash again so i jump it to 1.38 and i was an hour into prime95 i got a bsod while browsing the web. I don't know if i am willing to get that close to the 1.4 range for such a medium overclock!

My voltage at 1.38 show in cpu-z a value of 1.360 to 1.368 under prime95 100% load and i don't know if it is of any value but the vid in realtemps show : 1.3761.

The change i made in the bios was vrm frequency at 350, LLC ultrahigh and the manual voltage at 1.38.

I also notice something strange with my ram since putting everything back to auto indicate dram voltage was 1.65 when my ram stick indicate it is 1.5. And i don't know if i have to change any setting regarding my ram since some guide show to put what is on the stick of ram but i did it at first and reading another thread the guy suggest to put back everything regarding ram to auto and that's what i did.

Temp were also a lot higher now at 1.38 since i reach 80 celcius on 1 core.

Any suggestions since i don't know what to do next?

I'd put LLC to one setting below max. Have you determined a stable OC yet? One thing you don't want to do is be skipping around changing multiple things at one time. Like someone said earlier see what voltage it is stable at 4.5Ghz.
2. You can start at 1.35V and slowly move down in voltage until it is unstable.
3. Once you've determined what voltage that is, you have a basis now to raise toward 1.4V.
4. Don't do any memory OC while testing this. Keep it at whatever stock voltage (1.5 or 1.65)
5. PLL voltage usually will be somewhere between 1.7-2.0 You can mess with that some but NOT at the same time as you change Vcore.

I'd put LLC to one setting below max. Have you determined a stable OC yet? One thing you don't want to do is be skipping around changing multiple things at one time. Like someone said earlier see what voltage it is stable at 4.5Ghz.
2. You can start at 1.35V and slowly move down in voltage until it is unstable.
3. Once you've determined what voltage that is, you have a basis now to raise toward 1.4V.
4. Don't do any memory OC while testing this. Keep it at whatever stock voltage (1.5 or 1.65)
5. PLL voltage usually will be somewhere between 1.7-2.0 You can mess with that some but NOT at the same time as you change Vcore.

Hi Furious and thank for assistance, so far 4.5 at 1.35 volt i have no luck at all it's crashing inside 20 min of prime blend, i then bump it to 1.36 and again crash under 20 min, i went to 1.37 and again 20 min bsod then i crank it to 1.8 and again crash under 20 min.!

I first did what the guide mention by entering the specs of my ram instead of auto and it was 9-9-9-24 at 1.5 volt but i was crashing so i tried to put it back on auto for all ram setting and curiously my ram was not 9-9-9-24 1.5 but 11-11-11-28 1.65 volt and i don't understand this at all!

I then decide to underclock it at 4.4 and i set the voltage manually to 1.35 + vrm frequency at 350 and LLC at high and it crash again under 20 min, then i reboot and just modify LLC to ultra High and i am currently 2 hours under prime at 4.4 and 1.35 volt and it seem perfectly stable so far.

Any suggestions?

Sure go back to 4.3 or 4.4ghz. You just need to get a base from which to work from. If you are worried about the memory I suggest going all stock settings on CPU (especially multiplier) and testing it that way to make sure the 11-11-11-28 works without issue. I can't stress enough how important it is to have a rock solid base to work from. If you don't have that you're basically just guessing and throwing darts at a board.

IMHO go back to stock \ auto everything and make sure the system is prime stable on its own. Then set your voltage fixed to what cpu-z reads under load and start increasing your multiplier 1 at a time and testing stability after each bump. Once you hit instability increase your vcore until you are stable.

Once you are uncomfortable with the high vcore back everything down to your last stable settings and that is your stable OC. It's a slow, boring, methodical process but the right way to do things. If you keep jumping around willy nilly like you will never get stable.

I remember when I first overclocked my 2600K it would hit 5GHz but wasn't stable in Prime95 or IBT after more than 30/40 minutes. I still kept it at 5GHz and all I did was play video games and it never crashed once. I ended up keeping it at 4.8GHz though since everyone online would call my 5GHz OC unstable. Maybe run some other programs you would use on a normal basis and see if it crashes?

Sure go back to 4.3 or 4.4ghz. You just need to get a base from which to work from. If you are worried about the memory I suggest going all stock settings on CPU (especially multiplier) and testing it that way to make sure the 11-11-11-28 works without issue. I can't stress enough how important it is to have a rock solid base to work from. If you don't have that you're basically just guessing and throwing darts at a board.

Hi Furious and again thank for replying, i already did a 8 hr prime test on stock value and everything was stable. Now i am back at another prime test and i am 2 hr in as i wrote this and this time i manually put 1.385 volt and it seem to hold fine so far, yesterday just a bit under at 1.38 i was bsod inside 20 min. If i am indeed stable at 4.5 with 1.385 volt than it is confirming that i don't have one of those magical chip! :(

I am not sure if i will be able to push it any further at comfortable 24/7 voltage, i was tempt to try 4.7 but seeing my actual voltage for 4.5 it will certainly require voltage in the 1.4 and + range so maybe i will give it a go for 4.6 but does 4.6 really worth it compare to 4.5?

Hi Furious and again thank for replying, i already did a 8 hr prime test on stock value and everything was stable. Now i am back at another prime test and i am 2 hr in as i wrote this and this time i manually put 1.385 volt and it seem to hold fine so far, yesterday just a bit under at 1.38 i was bsod inside 20 min. If i am indeed stable at 4.5 with 1.385 volt than it is confirming that i don't have one of those magical chip! :(

I am not sure if i will be able to push it any further at comfortable 24/7 voltage, i was tempt to try 4.7 but seeing my actual voltage for 4.5 it will certainly require voltage in the 1.4 and + range so maybe i will give it a go for 4.6 but does 4.6 really worth it compare to 4.5?

1.40V is fine as long as you have the cooling to keep it in check.

At this point, I would do 4.4Ghz @ 1.35v and call it a day.

Not a bad idea either!

Yep the more i think about it 4.4 to 4.5 is probably not worth the voltage! So let's say i want to keep it at 4.4 1.35 volt here my cpu-z voltage : it was jumping between 1.360, 1.368 and 1.376 so what value should i enter as offset +?

Thank to everyone in thread who assist me with this overclock.

Last edited:
Yep the more i think about it 4.4 to 4.5 is probably not worth the voltage! So let's say i want to keep it at 4.4 1.35 volt here my cpu-z voltage : it was jumping between 1.360, 1.368 and 1.376 so what value should i enter as offset +?

Thank to everyone in thread who assist me with this overclock.

Your offset will be relative, typically what you would do is keep it at stock and check what the bios reads and base it off of that. But I'd just try +0.150 and see where that gets you with CPU-Z.

Well my OC experience is not as smooth as would have like it to be since sleep is not working even with PLL overvoltage disable my computer was not able to wake up, instead i got a black screen and again i had to push the switch on my psu to reboot and then the window logon screen froze so i reboot again and i got a windows automatic repair screen and then a diagnosing windows to finally get to a screen with windows reinstall options but i simply chose login to windows and was lucky enough to get back in windows but i have no clue if the OC have corrupt some critical OS files.

Reading on sleep issues didn't help either since there is clearly no real fix or solution and for me it is essential since i am a game developer and i often have complex scene in 3d software and closing everything each night would be counter productive since it take awhile to do and that's where sleep was an essential part of my workflow.

My only options left is to try getting as much as i can on stock voltage with everything on auto and the asus guide mention some system can even reach 4.3 on stock voltage but i doubt my not so good chip will get there on stock.

I would have never have chose a k cpu if i knew all this when i purchase.

OK i went in event viewer and it's said that : The following file necessary for Windows startup was corrupt: e:\boot\resources\custom\bootres.dll, anyone have a clue about what is going on?

My 2600K is able to do 4.4GHz at stock voltage.
I put everything on auto. Than I enable LLC (my mobo has only 1 setting). Next I raise my turbo boost from 38 to 44 on all cores. Last thing I do is max out the CPU power, short duration time and long duration time.

To go 4.5GHz or higher, I first see what my chip can do with everything stock using IBT and CPUz and record the max voltage. Next I crank my power limits and enable LLC and disable Turbo boost. I then start upping the multi till it crashes in IBT while recording the voltages, adding voltage as needed. Once I get it dialed in at 4.5GHz, I Prime it with ver 26.6 small fft for at least 5hrs.

If all goes well, I continue the process till my cooler can't take the heat. My chip is good for 4.8Ghz @ around 1.44v but temps can go into the low 90's.
On other mobo's that I've used, too high of a LLC mode can cause way too much voltage and make your OC unstable. Some vdroop can be a good thing, you just have to be patient if you want to get a good stable OC.

OK i under clock it to 4.4 at 1.35 volt and i found a thread talking about disabling power saving on pci express for monitor to awake properly and got into sleep to test it and it wake up instantly no problem. For information i was not able to use sleep even at 4.4 and 1.35 volt.

Not sure if it is going to work as well after many hours on sleep but after 5 min of sleep it is awaken perfectly.

For those looking for a fix for sleep mode problem here a screen capture of the setting you have to change in power management :
130v5Qt[img]

Sorry here the imgur link since image do not seem to work here : https://imgur.com/130v5Qt

I can confirm that even after a full 8 hr of sleep i was able to wake up the computer very easily and the wake up time was even twice as fast as before!

Back