Asus P8Z68-V squeal /hissing /whining

I installed a new P8Z68-V a couple of weeks ago and I notice the board has a 'squeal' issue. That is, it makes a high pitched squeal noise (not too loud but loud enough to annoy me). I did some research and found others who had similar issues (not all with Asus boards) and read that disabling the CPU C1 and C3 states eliminates the noise. I tried that and it appears successful.

What exactly are the C1 and C3 settings and am I losing out on something by disabling them?

Do you recommend sending the board back as defective and getting a replacement? (I bought from Amazon and still within 30 day return window).

Thanks!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C_state will tell you about C1, C3, etc. about half way down the page.

I know my gigabyte x58 board has this problem, and I disabled all the C state stuff on it to get rid of the noise, all disabling the C state stuff does is make the processor run at full speed all the time, shouldn't really be an issue unless you are in a power sensitive scenario like using a laptop..

It shouldn't be making any noise - if it was me, I'd try to return it. You can also try to locate the exact source of the noise, possibly a coil, and put a drop of glue on it - that should be enough to stop it from making the noise.

Thanks for the info.
I can't see any coils on the board...just a bunch of capacitors and chips.
I'm leaning towards sending it back. I paid a little more for an Asus board because they were recommended as good quality and reliable so I feel a little cheated. It's a pain because I'd have to remove my Hyper 212+ and all the thermal goop. That said I hear Amazon returns are pretty good and may even ship me one before I send this one back.

Thanks for the info.
I can't see any coils on the board...just a bunch of capacitors and chips.
I'm leaning towards sending it back. I paid a little more for an Asus board because they were recommended as good quality and reliable so I feel a little cheated. It's a pain because I'd have to remove my Hyper 212+ and all the thermal goop. That said I hear Amazon returns are pretty good and may even ship me one before I send this one back.

There are inductors on the board - all PWM supplies use inductors. They are the square devices sitting next to the capacitors on each VRM used on the board. They may resonate somewhat when passing current and that's the noise. You have them on your GPU and in your PSU also.

There are inductors on the board - all PWM supplies use inductors. They are the square devices sitting next to the capacitors on each VRM used on the board. They may resonate somewhat when passing current and that's the noise. You have them on your GPU and in your PSU also.

Raja
Are you saying this is 'normal' behavior or should the board be near silent when in use?
Will some board be noisier than others?

Back