ASUS P8Z77-I Deluxe in stock @ Newegg

Wow, so I just called Asus and they said it only supports a single monitor on the IGP...

I'm assuming this is wrong.

This is from intel's site:

Starting with the 3rd Generation Intel® Core™ Processors with Intel® HD Graphics 4000/2500, three displays support may be possible depending on your computer's configuration. Check with your computer manufacturer if three displays are supported on your computer and which display combinations are supported.
If I'm not mistaken it does support up to 3 displays, but for the 3 displays they must all be Display Ports. This requires that companies like Asus go the extra mile to add this when most monitors dont support DPs. (speaking for myself, not my company)

If I'm not mistaken it does support up to 3 displays, but for the 3 displays they must all be Display Ports. This requires that companies like Asus go the extra mile to add this when most monitors dont support DPs. (speaking for myself, not my company)

So the board would need to have three displayports? If so, is there a single Z77 board that has this or could this be something that might come with a different chipset like Z75 for example?

So the board would need to have three displayports? If so, is there a single Z77 board that has this or could this be something that might come with a different chipset like Z75 for example?
Yes, the board would need 3 displayports. Im nearly 100% sure that you couldnt do any other combination (ie 2xDP +1hdmi,....). I'm also nearly 100% sure that there aren't any MB makers that support this configuration, it doesn't make sense because your effectively selling the board to those who have monitors with DPs which isn't a very big market. (speaking for myself)

Yes, the board would need 3 displayports. Im nearly 100% sure that you couldnt do any other combination (ie 2xDP +1hdmi,....). I'm also nearly 100% sure that there aren't any MB makers that support this configuration, it doesn't make sense because your effectively selling the board to those who have monitors with DPs which isn't a very big market. (speaking for myself)

I'm not really in need of this feature, but I am curious if Intel implemented this for use with Lucid Virtu. If you have a setup with three DPs (one onboard plus two via dedicated card or cards), maybe this can be achieved. What do you think? :p

NewEgg has the S, retail never carries "specialty" parts like that.
Sure but the 3770 cost $260 at MC. That and the breathtaking clocking control of the P8Z77-I convinced me. I anticipate a lot of fun playing with the combo.

Now if only NE, MC, or Amazon had the I in stock today ....!

Last edited:

Zotac says their mini-ITX board with 2xHDMI + 1xDP can run three monitors...

LOL at Zotac. Enjoy a half broken BIOS that will get MAYBE 1 BIOS update that doesnt even fix half the problems until they release a new board and drop all support. Not to mention the prices being higher than much more capable boards. This is coming from someone who's bought 2 Zotac boards.

As long as Asus and Gigabyte make mobos I can't see myself buying a Zotac either. I see them trying but still falling way too short.

I would also prefer to buy the asus but it would be nice if their support people had a clue about what they were talking about or were willing to try and see if the board supported 3 monitors. They even said it wouldn't even support two which I highly doubt.

I'm not doing an extensive review btw. I'm going to see which can run my 3570k @ 4.5Ghz better, compare a few SSD benchmarks between the two, and see which boots faster. Looks like I need 1.30V to hit 4.5Ghz with the Asrock, and cold boot times are 15 seconds from pushing the button until hitting the desktop.

20120504172147.jpg

LOL at Zotac. Enjoy a half broken BIOS that will get MAYBE 1 BIOS update that doesnt even fix half the problems until they release a new board and drop all support. Not to mention the prices being higher than much more capable boards. This is coming from someone who's bought 2 Zotac boards.

My Zotac 9300 ITX was disappointing in many ways, I wouldn't bother with them again. I am excited to finally replace it soon with a build using the ASUS or Asrock Z77 Itx boards.

I'm not doing an extensive review btw. I'm going to see which can run my 3570k @ 4.5Ghz better, compare a few SSD benchmarks between the two, and see which boots faster. Looks like I need 1.30V to hit 4.5Ghz with the Asrock, and cold boot times are 15 seconds from pushing the button until hitting the desktop.

20120504172147.jpg

I've been following your latest build, very cool. I am very much looking forward to hear your thoughts once you get to compare the ASUS and Asrock mobos as I will be buying one of them soon as well as a 3570k. Thanks for all the great info you have been posting. :)

My Zotac 9300 ITX was disappointing in many ways, I wouldn't bother with them again. I am excited to finally replace it soon with a build using the ASUS or Asrock Z77 Itx boards.

I've been following your latest build, very cool. I am very much looking forward to hear your thoughts once you get to compare the ASUS and Asrock mobos as I will be buying one of them soon as well as a 3570k. Thanks for all the great info you have been posting. :)

Asrock wins imo, though I'm still not sure which I'll keep. I'll have more info tomorrow, but here's the summary.

Overclocking Potential - I probably didn't get the best chip out there, but temps are in the mid 70s in Prime/LinX @ 4.5Ghz. I messed around with higher and lower speeds 4.4-4.8Ghz, but they always needed similar voltage. I'd probably aim to undervolt and run @ 4.2 even if I had a golden chip, but more on this tomorrow. Now I have to decide between 2600k and 3570k :p
Asrock - Needs 1.3V to hit 4.5Ghz.
Asus - There sure are a lot more features with this board, but it still needs 1.3V to hit 4.5Ghz.
Winner - Tie

Cold boot starts (Very important to me) - I knew there wasn't going to be any board that did better than 15 seconds. I still can't even believe it boots that fast. Regular reboots are even faster!
Asrock 15 seconds
Asus 25 seconds
Winner - Asrock

AS SSD Performance - Exact same settings (C States & EIST off, logged out for an hour before testing, etc.)
Asrock - 937
Asus - 915
Winner Asrock

Other Pros/Cons
Asrock Pros - Better layout for internal neatness, Good Night LED, simpler overclocking, less expensive.
Asrock Cons - Not in my case :(
Asus Pros - Way more overclocking features (they don't do too much imo), inside my case lol
Asus Cons - Price

MissJ84, what about comparing fan control options in the bios. Asus has Q-Fan control, i'm not sure how Asrock compares to that. Could you tell me please? Thanks.

Asus was crossed off my list from price alone LOL Do you think there's any weird BIOS settings that could speed up your boot time? maybe tell asus support about the boot speed differences and hopefully they'll work on it. I just usually love asus products. more often than not though I end up going gigabyte or pure Intel. Asus too frequently has weird early issues.

Its amazing how some boards take an incredibly long time getting through the BIOS. I'm getting pissed at my Intel board when I have a USB hard drive attached it sits at the bios for a very long time. Right this second I have 2 USB hard drives hooked up as I'm recovering data from a dynamic disk getting all screwed up.

I'm not get it. With my ASRock Z68M-ITX+2700K I need 1.272V to hit 4.7 GHz (this voltage is under 100% load)
I thought that Ivy must have lower voltage!?
But the main question is, how much really Ivy's IGP is better than Sandy one. Currently I'm sitting under IGP, and at 3DMark Vantage I can hit P3152 3DMarks:
http://3dmark.com/3dmv/4064544
It is slightly less than officials say about 3770k... With Z77-ITX I'm pretty sure I will get a higher score!
So, is 2700K better in all ways?

MissJ84, what about comparing fan control options in the bios. Asus has Q-Fan control, i'm not sure how Asrock compares to that. Could you tell me please? Thanks.
Asus wins in this department, but barely. With Asus fan control, I'm able to run my Slipstream PWM fans off the mobo header at around 250-300rpm, while the lowest I can go with the Asrock is 400 RPM. The control is very similar outside of minimum speeds. What else would you like to know?

Asus was crossed off my list from price alone LOL Do you think there's any weird BIOS settings that could speed up your boot time? maybe tell asus support about the boot speed differences and hopefully they'll work on it. I just usually love asus products. more often than not though I end up going gigabyte or pure Intel. Asus too frequently has weird early issues.

Its amazing how some boards take an incredibly long time getting through the BIOS. I'm getting pissed at my Intel board when I have a USB hard drive attached it sits at the bios for a very long time. Right this second I have 2 USB hard drives hooked up as I'm recovering data from a dynamic disk getting all screwed up.

Yes! I don't know what Asrock does, but I like it. Their boards also add zero boot up time with USB attached. On cold boot, my monitor turns on in under 5 seconds, while with Asus, you're looking at 10-12 seconds.

Just wanted to let anyone thinking of using this mobo in a Lian li q11 to know that the sister board does get in the way the front intake if you are using a h60 or something similar. If not then you wont have to worry about clearance issues.

Yeah, the daughterboard is kind of awkward. I installed it in the Q11 with stock cooler, so it wasn't too much of an issue.

I am in the process of installing it in the Q08 with a 620 Kuhler, and it has been the biggest PIA.

Strange. My ASRock's been fine this past week with a 2500K @ 4.6GHz. I've been reencoding HD movies for the past 2 days for hours on end without even a hiccup.

The only major drawback in design i see with the Asrock is the CPU socket is so close to the PCI. I feel that this means you will be limited even more in what cooling solutions you can use, probably going to be stuck using the stock cooler, or need to use a watercooling solution (H80s, etc, which can be pretty loud)

If you look at Jocelyn84's post over at overclock, he has two pictures comparing the layout of both MB's in his SG05. the CPU socket on the Asrock just seem extremely close to the PCI.

just my 2 cents

H80 can be silent. But you need a high quality fan. Also you may need to slightly under-volt the pump power. I use H80 (with one NoiseBlocker pull fan) with SG08 - 2700K @ 4.7 GHz at 100% load is only 47C!

The only major drawback in design i see with the Asrock is the CPU socket is so close to the PCI. I feel that this means you will be limited even more in what cooling solutions you can use, probably going to be stuck using the stock cooler, or need to use a watercooling solution (H80s, etc, which can be pretty loud)

If you look at Jocelyn84's post over at overclock, he has two pictures comparing the layout of both MB's in his SG05. the CPU socket on the Asrock just seem extremely close to the PCI.

just my 2 cents

The ASRock socket placement is standard for mini-ITX. If you're coming from a previous mini-ITX board, this is a non-issue. You'll have more problems with getting a compatible backplate than a heatsink. The AXP-140 (arguably the best small air cooling heatsink) fits that socket placement. My previous board had a Samuel-17 that fit fine next to a R6950.

Asus deviates from the norm, but the daughterboard causes issues with larger heatsinks anyway (AXP-140 included) so it's not even much of an improvement over the standard placement. It actually would have probably benefited more if they used the standard socket placement because of the daugherboard.

If you're going with one of the Antec/Corsair all-in-one watercooling systems neither board has an advantage since the heatsinks don't extend far off the socket anyway. The only issue is with the backplate on the ASRock which is easily remedied.

The cooler choice for P8Z77-I is still the one worry I have. At first sight I thought the board layout to be an advantage but now I'm not so sure.

I think the cooler pictured here http://vr-zone.com/articles/asus-p8z77-i-deluxe-review-redefining-the-itx-gaming-pc/15357-5.html is a Coolermaster Gemini M4, but I assume this isn't the best available.

The Noctua site compatability list for the NH-L12 doesn't list the P8Z77-i one way or the other and their support department says "Unfortunately it's too close to tell from pictures alone if the NH-L12 will have compatibility issues or not, due to the VRM sitting on a separate PCB. We are currently working together with Asus to check compatibility but at the moment we are waiting feedback from them." I suspect the Noctua wil fit but only with the single 92mm fan in a SUGO which is not ideal.

The other possible options, but with the same concerns about interfering with DRAMs or the VRM, are the Samuel 7 or Scythe Shuriken or Big Shurken.

However, this article http://www.hitechlegion.com/reviews/motherboards/18492?start=26 said "The other issue is the stand-up VRM board, as it prevented me from using two of the top low profile coolers on the market" without actually naming them.

Now some people have received theirs could they kindly post which coolers (low-profile for SUGO case) are known to fit and which don't?

Strange. My ASRock's been fine this past week with a 2500K @ 4.6GHz. I've been reencoding HD movies for the past 2 days for hours on end without even a hiccup.
Maybe it was a fluke and I'm not trying to start a war against Asrock lol. I've been doing nothing but raving about this board prior to this.

just my 2 cents
Are you from Canada? :p

H80 can be silent. But you need a high quality fan. Also you may need to slightly under-volt the pump power. I use H80 (with one NoiseBlocker pull fan) with SG08 - 2700K @ 4.7 GHz at 100% load is only 47C!
Ehhh just plug it in and shake it for 5 minutes prior to installation and the pump is silent. I found out about this on the Corsair forums.

The ASRock socket placement is standard for mini-ITX. If you're coming from a previous mini-ITX board, this is a non-issue. You'll have more problems with getting a compatible backplate than a heatsink. The AXP-140 (arguably the best small air cooling heatsink) fits that socket placement. My previous board had a Samuel-17 that fit fine next to a R6950.

Asus deviates from the norm, but the daughterboard causes issues with larger heatsinks anyway (AXP-140 included) so it's not even much of an improvement over the standard placement. It actually would have probably benefited more if they used the standard socket placement because of the daugherboard.

If you're going with one of the Antec/Corsair all-in-one watercooling systems neither board has an advantage since the heatsinks don't extend far off the socket anyway. The only issue is with the backplate on the ASRock which is easily remedied.
+1 to standard socket placement on the Asrock. It's a tad closer to the PCIe than the P8H67-I Deluxe I owned and the Samuel 17 was actually up against the 680 backplate. Sorry for never taking any photos without the fan prior to selling my Samuel 17 :(
sg052.jpg

The cooler choice for P8Z77-I is still the one worry I have. At first sight I thought the board layout to be an advantage but now I'm not so sure.

I think the cooler pictured here http://vr-zone.com/articles/asus-p8z77-i-deluxe-review-redefining-the-itx-gaming-pc/15357-5.html is a Coolermaster Gemini M4, but I assume this isn't the best available.

The Noctua site compatability list for the NH-L12 doesn't list the P8Z77-i one way or the other and their support department says "Unfortunately it's too close to tell from pictures alone if the NH-L12 will have compatibility issues or not, due to the VRM sitting on a separate PCB. We are currently working together with Asus to check compatibility but at the moment we are waiting feedback from them." I suspect the Noctua wil fit but only with the single 92mm fan in a SUGO which is not ideal.

The other possible options, but with the same concerns about interfering with DRAMs or the VRM, are the Samuel 7 or Scythe Shuriken or Big Shurken.

However, this article http://www.hitechlegion.com/reviews/motherboards/18492?start=26 said "The other issue is the stand-up VRM board, as it prevented me from using two of the top low profile coolers on the market" without actually naming them.

Now some people have received theirs could they kindly post which coolers (low-profile for SUGO case) are known to fit and which don't?
I'm pretty sure the NH-L12 is going to fit, maybe even both ways (Heatpipes towards daughterboard looks good), and you can put the 120mm underneath instead. I also think the Samuel 17 will fit. You have slightly more room between the socket and daughterboard than you do with the traditional PCIe/socket layout. Heatpipes towards daughterboard and you should definitely be fine.

samyo.jpg

I'm pretty sure the NH-L12 is going to fit, maybe even both ways (Heatpipes towards daughterboard looks good), and you can put the 120mm underneath instead. I also think the Samuel 17 will fit. You have slightly more room between the socket and daughterboard than you do with the traditional PCIe/socket layout. Heatpipes towards daughterboard and you should definitely be fine.
Thanks for these suggestions

After running some stability testing with the Asus/2600K combo, I definitely need slightly more vcore (1.280-1.288v bounce) for stability @ 4500Mhz. Prime crashes almost immediately @ 4.5Ghz with 1.272v and I can't even get into windows with the same 1.264v that was stable with the Asrock. I passed 12 hours of P95 and plenty of LinX testing with the Asrock board at 1.264v, so maybe this would explain my sudden shut off :confused:
Needless to say, I'm still trying to provide some sort of comparison, but at the same time I'd appreciate any thoughts on this. I have no idea which board I should keep lol

PS Hope it's okay that I'm posting this in both threads :)

I was able to put the Samuel 17 and a Thermalright TY-140 on the P8Z77-I Deluxe this weekend. It's sitting inside a Lian Li PC-Q25. It fit very easy and I have it turned so ram with taller heatsinks should also fit.. I can test that too later. I'm using some low profile Vengeance at the moment.

I'm not sure if i'm set on this cooler/fan combo but it's what I had sitting around. I haven't done any overclocking/temp testing as it's taking me days to build my Raid drive.

At stock speeds on the 3570k, I'm getting 34-38 at idle across the 4 cores. I think the voltage was at 1.09 or something. I'm waiting to see other cooler performances also.

I was able to put the Samuel 17 and a Thermalright TY-140 on the P8Z77-I Deluxe this weekend. It's sitting inside a Lian Li PC-Q25. It fit very easy and I have it turned so ram with taller heatsinks should also fit.. I can test that too later. I'm using some low profile Vengeance at the moment.

I'm not sure if i'm set on this cooler/fan combo but it's what I had sitting around. I haven't done any overclocking/temp testing as it's taking me days to build my Raid drive.

At stock speeds on the 3570k, I'm getting 34-38 at idle across the 4 cores. I think the voltage was at 1.09 or something. I'm waiting to see other cooler performances also.
Thanks for checking the Samuel and results with 3570K. I have Vengence LP assuming the heatsink might have to orient over them.

Anyone with this board check to see if Internal PLL Overvoltage setting enabled breaks wake on sleep? That's the only thing that's bugging me about the ASRock.

First post on HF, total NOOB to building a PC, just ordered my P8Z77-I Deluxe today. I ordered it within 5 minutes of getting my "Auto Notify" from Newegg.ca, and got my shipped notice already. I can't wait to get started, this is going in a Lian-Li PC-Q11B for a nice compact machine.

The egg's out of stock again, and it's only been a few hours... glad I jumped!

First post on HF, total NOOB to building a PC, just ordered my P8Z77-I Deluxe today. I ordered it within 5 minutes of getting my "Auto Notify" from Newegg.ca, and got my shipped notice already. I can't wait to get started, this is going in a Lian-Li PC-Q11B for a nice compact machine.

The egg's out of stock again, and it's only been a few hours... glad I jumped!

Yeah me too also bought a eVGA GTX 670 SC, G SKill 2x4GB 2400MHz, Lian Li PC-Q18B case not sure if I will use a 3770K or 3570K CPU. Going to watercool CPU for sure if I have room for rad placements I may do the GTX 670 as well.. :D

Lu(ky, would appreciate if you post pictures once you get to putting the system together. I'd like to put P8Z77-I Deluxe into a PC-Q18 as well (but major on storage, not the CPU power).

I've got my P8Z77-I on the way and I'm looking at what cooler to get. I'll be building in an SG08 case and I'm not quite convinced on an aiw water cooling setup yet. I think I would rather just employ the included 180mm fan and a C style cooler with bottom fan. I was looking at offerings from Thermalright and Noctua and I came upon the Phanteks PH-TC14CS. Anybody know if this could possibly fit on the P8Z77-I in a Sugo SG08?

Well I'm hoping to have secured one too and intend to try a Noctua NH-L12 (92mm fan only) in my SUGO 06.
At first sight this is a more expensive option than a Samuel 17 or AXP-140 but it comes with two Noctua PWM fans which sweetens things a bit. On the other hand it's still not listed one way or the other under compatability on Noctua site but I'm optimsitic it will fit - I've got LP DRAM for instance. I'll then try the 12cm as a replacement case fan - it's high pressure and 4 pin so ought to be useful.
For the Samuel 17 any 25mm fan should be OK. There's prob more space in a SUGO 08 but for the AXP-140 in a 06 I've seen that the 15mm high 12cm PWM Coolermaster fan they use in the Geminii M4 is available as a spare.

Is "Zotac Z77-ITX WiFi" the board you are referring to?

I am looking for a mini-ITX board which can run three monitors without having to use a discrete graphics card.

I tried calling Zotac technical support but can never get through the line, please let me know how you got this information from them.

Back