ASUS PB278Q Calibration

Deeky

Gawd
Hey all. I recently picked up the 27" ASUS PB278Q and I've been banging my head against it ever since, calibration wise. I'm trying to match the results seen here in this TFT Central review and I've been falling well short in terms of black depth.

They're showing a 0.14 at 120 cd/m2 and the best I can manage is 0.2 at that luminance with my old X-rite i1 Display2 (with Win7 drivers). The X-rite keeps insisting that brightness 50 is the ideal, but that murders blacks and creates quite a bit of glow. TFT, on the other hand, states that brightness 27 was their end result. I've seen similar numbers elsewhere, many even lower. I can easily attain 0.14 if I drop brightness of course, but I was hoping to at least start with the TFT numbers and move down. I'll always sacrifice ultra bright whites in favor of deeper blacks, but I'd at least like to start with a decent baseline before I tank my brightness.

Starting to wonder if I'm missing something. Maybe a setting in the OSD, an option in the Nvidia control panel (670 OC), something along those lines. If anyone has a suggestion, I'd be glad to hear it. Cheers! :D

P.S. Even with zero brightness, I'm still able to pass the good ol' Lagom LCD Test pages with flying colors--well, maybe a bit of banding. No crush, white saturation is perfect, gamma is great. It's a very nice display for the price, barring the ever-present "IPS glow" and the frustrating calibration process.

Last edited:
Can you force the calibration process to allow you to manually adjust the brightness, contrast, RGB levels? If so, then you can force it to a lower brightness. Are you using iProfiler? I remember having a setting before it jumps into the calibration sequence that lets me force it to go manual.

Can you force the calibration process to allow you to manually adjust the brightness, contrast, RGB levels? If so, then you can force it to a lower brightness. Are you using iProfiler? I remember having a setting before it jumps into the calibration sequence that lets me force it to go manual.

Yeah, it's all manual. I can easily attain 0.1 if I drop luminance to 85cd/m2 or so, which is somewhere around brightness 27 according to the X-rite. I wonder why my brightness 27 is so much darker than the results they managed on TFT Central? They managed 120 cd/m2 at 27. Beginning to think the ol' i1 Display2 is starting to go sideways ....

Cheers. I had no idea the i1d2 had issues with LED, good to know. And if it's losing accuracy over time, I can guarantee it's time for new hardware. The X-rite's been with me for many years.

The TFT review outlines my calibration process, almost exactly.

Any recommendations for LED calibration? Software/hardware?

Last edited:
i use i1 display pro with argyll cms/dispcalgui. i'm not a fan of the software that comes with the i1.

Yeah, following a quick bit of research, the i1d pro appears to be the go-to choice for monitor only calibration. Hoping I can find one locally.

Thanks for the software tip, as well. :cool:

#1 you shouldn't be using an i1d2, it is not accurate with led back-lit displays and looses accuracy over time

TFT Central has instructions on how to use the X-Rite software properly in their review here:

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/eye_one_display2.htm

So I've run calibration with my shiny new X-Rite i1Display Pro and the ASUS is looking much better, especially the blacks (no longer blue-ish). My only issue now is black crush.

I appear to be losing 3-4 boxes on the Lagom black test no matter how I tweak brightness/contrast/gamma. I've also had to drop contrast to 75 from default 80 to avoid losing 254 on the white test. These test passed with flying colors pre-calibration.

Those of you who have successfully calibrated a PB278Q, any tips on how to avoid crush?

Which browser are you using? I've noticed that Chrome results unreliable in OSX. I use Safari to test profiling results. If you're in Windows, I think Firefox is probably a good choice, but you might need to load a profiling add-on to ensure it's doing its job.

I am indeed using Firefox under Win7 64-bit. I do recall activating some kind of color profile several fresh installs ago. Haven't done so for quite some time. I wonder if that would help ...

Back