ASUS Policy on Cougar Point based MBs? (Intel Recall)

I bought at MC, so it gives me two options to consider. I'd prefer swapping at MC because if that board has problems I can exchange it easier (which is one reason I bought there in the first place). But, what if MC doesn't get inventory until late April, and Asus can do it early March? What if Asus offers a Z68 option, but MC just has the existing P67 chipset? Whatever, I'm registered at Asus and MC already emailed me about the recall. I'll just sit back and wait it out and do whatever is the best deal for me.
I'm in the same boat with Newegg and Asus. I figure in the worst case I'll send it back to Newegg for a refund a few hours after I buy a replacement from the local Microcenter. Hopefully they will just send us new boards. However Intel is run buy a bunch of suits who probably won't mind screwing us over to save a few million on shipping, they certainly don't care about wasting our time replacing and shipping back their defective product.

Though it is pretty damn funny they couldn't be bothered support SATA3 on all their ports and it kicked them in the ass, reminds me of the Pentium 4 days. I guess we should be happy the USB2 ports work. :)

I sincerely doubt that anyone is going to get a Z68 chipset. Keep in mind that at least 85% of the people that have a Sandy Bridge (mostly those who bought Laptops, or Dell/HP desktops for example) will never see the problem since the 2 drives they have will be connected to the SATA III ports.

Intel is already taking a big hit in sales

1) complete stoppage of Sandy Bridge sales
2) the hit from the recall itself.

They are not going to "give" away another profit maker just to make things right. They have set aside approx $85 per system/motherboard sold. That means you are pretty much getting a replacement for your existing motherboard.

Microsoft didnt give RROD victims 360 Elites nor did they even give them brand new machines.

Update - Our customer care site and details of the replacement plan will be up today. Although, under NDA on actual details and launch dates, I do not know why there is such excitement for the Z68 chipset when basically it is H67 with overclocking capabilities (i.e., P67 with video out capabilities). ;)

Update - Our customer care site and details of the replacement plan will be up today. Although, under NDA on actual details and launch dates, I do not know why there is such excitement for the Z68 chipset when basically it is H67 with overclocking capabilities (i.e., P67 with video out capabilities). ;)

I think people are wanting the option to at least step up to the "next new board." I have no interest in the Z68, but I would pay additional money to be able to upgrade to a Sabertooth or a Maximus at this point.

I think people are wanting the option to at least step up to the "next new board." I have no interest in the Z68, but I would pay additional money to be able to upgrade to a Sabertooth or a Maximus at this point.

This is my opinion also. Currently using a Pro and would like to move up to the Deluxe.

Feels like a bit of a waste to have a GPU in the CPU and not even have the option to use it. Having options is always a plus.

The onboard GPU has incredibly good video transcoding. Some people want to overclock and video encode.

having the GPU within the CPU means you don't need a seperate video card right? does that also mean the motherboard wouldn't even need an onboard video card?

Feels like a bit of a waste to have a GPU in the CPU and not even have the option to use it. Having options is always a plus.

The onboard GPU has incredibly good video transcoding. Some people want to overclock and video encode.

Incredibly fast, not incredibly good. And you can take advantage of the accelerated transcoding already with a couple different options out there.

Incredibly fast, not incredibly good. And you can take advantage of the accelerated transcoding already with a couple different options out there.

I thought it was both fast and good. Are you really saying otherwise?

I thought it was both fast and good. Are you really saying otherwise?

Yes. Currently, you can pick one of two options as far as transcoding. Fast, or quality. GPU transcoding is faster than CPU transcoding, but has inferior quality.

The same with the SandyBridge transcoding capabilities. By using Quick Sync to transcode, you are giving up quality for speed. From what I understand, Quick Sync does offer better quality and speed than GPU transcoding. If you transcoding to mobile rips, I think Quick Sync will be fine. If you are transcoding your Bluray collection into digital format, I think you'd be doing yourself a disservice at this point using anything but high quality CPU transcoding.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews...d-app-nvidia-cuda-intel-quicksync,2839-9.html

I was under the impression that the Z68 board would increase the number of PCIE lanes like the X58 chipset did. Am I incorrect about this? Will there be no native x16/x16 solutions (That don't fall back to x8/x8 when populated by 2 cards) available without the use of the nvidia chip on the motherboard??

I bet this has been asked. Are we going to get a new board or a refurbish board. I hope it's a new one.

Also I wonder if we are going to have to front shipping to ship the board back. Probably will have to.

I was under the impression that the Z68 board would increase the number of PCIE lanes like the X58 chipset did. Am I incorrect about this? Will there be no native x16/x16 solutions (That don't fall back to x8/x8 when populated by 2 cards) available without the use of the nvidia chip on the motherboard??

The PCIe limitation is a CPU limit, so the Z68 will have no impact on that. All it offers is the ability to overclock with the integrated graphics - a merge of the P and H chipsets.

Pretty much this.

Would like to be able to transcode FRAPS footage to .mkv as quickly and painlessly as possible.

Video encoding is one of the main non game reasons why people need high performance CPUs so have to say I'm more than a little concerned there's an ASUS rep in here who has absolutely zero clue about this.

I imagine the NDA prevents you from talking about it, but I want to hear what the SSD Caching feature is. I have a guess as to what it is and if I'm right that could be a really good feature if its executed well.

Pretty much this.

Would like to be able to transcode FRAPS footage to .mkv as quickly and painlessly as possible.

Video encoding is one of the main non game reasons why people need high performance CPUs so have to say I'm more than a little concerned there's an ASUS rep in here who has absolutely zero clue about this.

Where did you read of an ASUS rep in here having absolutely zero clue about video encoding? Are you referring the Gary's statement about not seeing the point about the Z68 chipset? That's not the same thing - by a long shot - as having zero clue about video encoding.

edit: my mistake, didn't notice there was a top bar with button to a FAQ. Yay for cross-ship!

Last edited:
Update - Replacement Program Details - http://service.asus.com/notice/Overview.aspx

This works for me!

ASUS will provide a cross-ship option that offers the customer the least amount of system downtime. Upon the receipt of a valid credit card number and approval, a temporary charge hold will be placed against the customer’s credit card for the MSRP value of the replacement product. The replacement product will be shipped to the customer and a prepaid label for return of the existing product will be provided. Upon return of the defective product and verification against the RMA, the temporary charge hold on the customer’s credit card will be lifted.

http://service.asus.com/notice/FAQ.aspx

This works.

Although I was hoping to have the ability to step up from a Pro to a Sabertooth

ASUS' support throughout the entire P67 launch, failure and future resurrection has been nothing but superb. Gary and the team have done an outstanding job here and ASUS is standing behind their customers. I can't say enough...this is why I chose and recommended ASUS to relatives doing a SB build.

Kudos to ASUS.

Is it just me, or are they not clear on whether you will get brand new MB replacements or refurbished ones?
They say "ASUS will provide free 2-way standard shipping and an equivalent/new product replacement with warranty renewal at time of replacement". I guess I am confused by the "equivalent" statement. Could that mean a repaired unit?

Where did you read of an ASUS rep in here having absolutely zero clue about video encoding? Are you referring the Gary's statement about not seeing the point about the Z68 chipset? That's not the same thing - by a long shot - as having zero clue about video encoding.

I do not know why there is such excitement for the Z68 chipset when basically it is H67 with overclocking capabilities (i.e., P67 with video out capabilities). ;)

Bolded the key part.

Is it just me, or are they not clear on whether you will get brand new MB replacements or refurbished ones?
They say "ASUS will provide free 2-way standard shipping and an equivalent/new product replacement with warranty renewal at time of replacement". I guess I am confused by the "equivalent" statement. Could that mean a repaired unit?

I thought I had read some where that stated all replacements are going to be new motherboards, oh its on the front page here...

Product replacements will be new products and based on current Intel schedules, they should be the same product that the customer currently owns and will be available in several weeks.

Bolded the key part.

Which is simply a matter of opinion. Your statement about his have "zero clue" is completely off base. I don't see the bother for the other chipset either since I have no plans for such a system.

It says "equivalent/new product" replacement. That means you'll get a new replacement for the product you have (equivalent), i.e., it won't be an upgrade or a downgrade.

Why make this any harder than it needs to be, folks?

It says "equivalent/new product" replacement. That means you'll get a new replacement for the product you have (equivalent), i.e., it won't be an upgrade or a downgrade.

Why make this any harder than it needs to be, folks?

Amen brother...

If you bought a P8P67 your getting a replacement P8P67... not hard to figure out

Amen brother...

If you bought a P8P67 your getting a replacement P8P67... not hard to figure out
Yeah figured that part out on my own, thanks :rolleyes:. I was just wondering if the replacement will a repaired/refurbished or new unit.
I like my P8P67 Deluxe and would want a replacement to be as painless as possible, so I was not looking for any kind of upgrade. It's just that the Asus rep on the phone eluded to the possibility of a replacement being a repaired unit, but that was a few days ago.

I thought I had read some where that stated all replacements are going to be new motherboards, oh its on the front page here...

Product replacements will be new products and based on current Intel schedules, they should be the same product that the customer currently owns and will be available in several weeks.
Thanks, I must have missed that part :eek:. Can you please provide a link.

Back