Asus Q-Fan question

Shaman

Limp Gawd
I'm working on a P5B-VM mobo and I enabled Q-Fan with the Silent mode, thinking that the mobo would make the cpu fan only ramp up under load. However, it did not. In none of the other modes (Performance/Optimal/Ultra Silent) do the fans ever change speed, no matter how close to 60ºC the cpu is under load. Is this what this Q-Fan feature does? Only allow adjustments of fan speed like a manual rheostat would do? :(

a bios update should fix it, but first read some about the latest bios for ur board, i killed mine with a bad version asus gave out

I already flashed the latest bios from the asus website, so that's not the reason.

But from asus description of the Q-Fan technology, looks like it doesn't change the speed of the fan based on temperature at all:

Smoother and quieter fan control
Stabilize system temperature with advanced quiet fan control.

The ASUS Advanced Q-Fan technology on P5B Series is powered by Intel Quiet System Technology. It makes the change of fan speed more smoothly. It's better in fan use, and efficiently reduces the noise caused by fans' abruptly speeding up. Moreover, Advanced Q-Fan has a better control over a constant temperature system environment.
Looks like all it does is make the transition between fan speeds smoother when using their AI Gear software (in which you have to manually select the fan speed you want).

If this is correct, it's very lame. :eek:

Back