Asus R9 280x Matrix Platinum DOA

Venomous

Gawd
Well mine showed up yesterday but wasn't able to install it until today. What a frustrating afternoon. This card was doa even though the lights and fans work. Pretty irritating I have to send this thing back for $15 just to wait to see when stock replenishes.

I've checked google and it seems others are having various problems like I am. No display post from any DVI or DP port. Flipped on board bios, still no post.

One guy said he swapped mobos and the card fired up. I'm not going to that extreme since my Asrock z87 OC Formula has been fine.

So I'm curious if anyone on [H] has run across issues with this card?

Don't have the card so I can't speak to that specific issue, but have you tried updating your bios?

The swapping out mobo solution lends to the idea that updating your bios might do the trick.

Updated to 1.80 and saw no improvement to the post issue. The 1.80 seems to address mainly memory compatibility improvements to the board.

I just received an Asus R9 280x Direct CU II. Same problem. Fans start up, two green lights next to the power connectors, but no POST. I tried reseating multiple times and also tried the other PCI-E slot. Unfortunately, my BIOS was already up to date, although I'm running an older LGA 1155 motherboard. I'm RMAing the card for a refund as I've also seen plenty of other DOA posts for this card.

I just received an Asus R9 280x Direct CU II. Same problem. Fans start up, two green lights next to the power connectors, but no POST. I tried reseating multiple times and also tried the other PCI-E slot. Unfortunately, my BIOS was already up to date, although I'm running an older LGA 1155 motherboard. I'm RMAing the card for a refund as I've also seen plenty of other DOA posts for this card.

i got the same card last week but haven't got everything needed for a new PC build i am doing, i sure hope i don't get a dud card.

Does the computer post but just black screen? I have always reset my cmos when changing out video cards as the DMI data pool has to be updated for the new hardware at the bios level.

Can all of you guys with issues please list boards you'er using and UEFI versions? Just so we know what the issue boards are. I had an email from an editor who has the Extreme 11 from ASRock with issues on the 290X GPUs as well.

What are you guys upgrading from? Make sure you have AMD drivers installed before you install the card, I read somewhere that could be an issue.

What are you guys upgrading from? Make sure you have AMD drivers installed before you install the card, I read somewhere that could be an issue.

and how would i do that on a new build/clean install of windows 7 ?

Does the computer post but just black screen?

For me, no POST. I hit the power button, the fans spin up on the card, and then nothing.

Can all of you guys with issues please list boards you'er using and UEFI versions?

I'm using an MSI P67A-GD55 with the latest UEFI version. MSI hasn't released an update for this board for about a year or more.

What are you guys upgrading from?

I've got an ASUS GTX 570 Direct CU II. Swapping out drivers shouldn't make a difference as the OS won't even boot.

*Edit: I've already sent the video card back for a refund. I bought this card to handle Battlefield 4 since it sounded like most cards were struggling during the beta. Turns out that I can get 40-60 FPS on high at 1920x1200 with my current card, so I may hold off on upgrading for now.

Also, does anyone know if either the Matrix or Direct CU II 280s have PSU requirements? I've got a Corsair 650 watt PSU -- maybe this isn't enough. I would think it's okay though as long as I'm not running SLI/Crossfire.

Well mine showed up yesterday but wasn't able to install it until today. What a frustrating afternoon. This card was doa even though the lights and fans work. Pretty irritating I have to send this thing back for $15 just to wait to see when stock replenishes.

I've checked google and it seems others are having various problems like I am. No display post from any DVI or DP port. Flipped on board bios, still no post.

One guy said he swapped mobos and the card fired up. I'm not going to that extreme since my Asrock z87 OC Formula has been fine.

So I'm curious if anyone on [H] has run across issues with this card?

The MSI R9 280X Gaming 3G card does not POST on this board either. We will test the Sapphire and HIS cards upon arrival tomorrow but at this point it appears to be an issue with certain motherboard/EFI combinations as the R290/290x cards have the same issues on this board and others.

Ok, I bought the gigabyte version and the card posted immediately on the z77 formula oc. I still had the asus card so I opened up the box and sure as shit , it did not post.

This was a new build from scratch, so there was t any traces of previous drivers and such. I ordered a second gigabyte for crossfire which will hold me over into early next yr when we see better non ref 290x's.

The only bummer about the gigabyte card is, they voltage locked them after review samples were sent out. I had read 2 reviews which is why I ended up buying the gigabyte. So, if you wish to have an unlocked 280x, HIS is a better buy for you. I think it's fuckin bullshit gigabyte pulled this last minute lock. So, I advise people not to buy a gigabyte if you are looking for heavy overclocks.

Excuse me Mr. Gary Key, sir! =)
Is this maybe related at all to why I'm having to run my 280x in the bottom slot on my Asus M6Hero in crossfire with a 7950? Crossfire can only be enabled if the 280x is on the bottom and the display is connected to the 280x. Any other combination I try away from those 2 causes XFire option to be greyed out in CCC and it says the cable is not correctly connected.
I know it sounds totally separate from OP issue but it's a really weird quirk and I just wondered if it's driver related on the chipset and possibly connected to this thread.
The 280x does post fine on its own, though.

Is this maybe related at all to why I'm having to run my 280x in the bottom slot on my Asus M6Hero in crossfire with a 7950? Crossfire can only be enabled if the 280x is on the bottom and the display is connected to the 280x. Any other combination I try away from those 2 causes XFire option to be greyed out in CCC and it says the cable is not correctly connected.
I know it sounds totally separate from OP issue but it's a really weird quirk and I just wondered if it's driver related on the chipset and possibly connected to this thread.

That's really odd. Wonder if an updated bios is needed for the board.

I'm using an MSI P67A-GD55 with the latest UEFI version. MSI hasn't released an update

Probably not helpful anymore since you sent the card back but are you using the latest bios from here - https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=164135.msg1214789

I needed to use the latest one from that to get a 7950 to work.

The issue from what I hear might be due to some newer cards with PCIe 3.0 are not being properly backwards compatible with PCIe 2.0. This requires either an update on the GPU bios or Mobo bios to address the issue.

That's really odd. Wonder if an updated bios is needed for the board.

I appreciate the vote of confidence in my troubleshooting Venom... but I failed until today to catch the problem. The path to the solution was horrible but the fix itself was simple and painless it seems: I uninstalled my monitor driver (Generic PnP Monitor in Device Manager) and reinstalled it. No lie. After that both the 280x and 7950 started acting like 9800GTs and the only remedy was to switch slots the way I have been wanting to do it to begin with. Bloody weird.

The scary shit was that the cards began to freak out when I installed a cheater driver for my display (brand new Vizio 32" m321i-A2 120hz) to overclock the refresh rate. I was able to get 110Hz. All was well at first but soon after all hell broke loose. I thought I killed the 7950 after I went for a smoke break with Unigene Heaven running at full blast with Tesselation and 4x AA and I came back to the VRM temps at 117C. A crash followed shortly after and crossfire would enable but cards were running half speed both of them. After reinstalling the monitor drivers, falling flat, and then finally switching the 280x to the top and 7950 to bottom I'm back to good (same fps, lower temp than before) numbers again but I'm a little frazzled. I'll do up a picture of the switched cards and the completed cable management when I catch my breath.

I appreciate the vote of confidence in my troubleshooting Venom... but I failed until today to catch the problem. The path to the solution was horrible but the fix itself was simple and painless it seems: I uninstalled my monitor driver (Generic PnP Monitor in Device Manager) and reinstalled it. No lie. After that both the 280x and 7950 started acting like 9800GTs and the only remedy was to switch slots the way I have been wanting to do it to begin with. Bloody weird.

The scary shit was that the cards began to freak out when I installed a cheater driver for my display (brand new Vizio 32" m321i-A2 120hz) to overclock the refresh rate. I was able to get 110Hz. All was well at first but soon after all hell broke loose. I thought I killed the 7950 after I went for a smoke break with Unigene Heaven running at full blast with Tesselation and 4x AA and I came back to the VRM temps at 117C. A crash followed shortly after and crossfire would enable but cards were running half speed both of them. After reinstalling the monitor drivers, falling flat, and then finally switching the 280x to the top and 7950 to bottom I'm back to good (same fps, lower temp than before) numbers again but I'm a little frazzled. I'll do up a picture of the switched cards and the completed cable management when I catch my breath.

Damn bro... What if you down clocked that haswell? It's worth a shot... The 280x may not be as stable at that speed

If I have to downclock my 4770k below stock to make a video card work there's something wrong with the world.

My CPU is 24hour stable at prime95 28.1 that's why it's not overclocked. So it's stable. I appreciate the suggestion but this seems like some sort of chipset issue.

Edit: I'm a moron but I've got 3 hours sleep in 2 days over this so at this point I'm just glad it's done with. The ACTUAL problem was the crossfire cable. Both cables were brand new unopened. I was using the one that came with the 280x. I didn't think to try the other one earlier because the first one I tried worked with the 280x on bottom... Not good troubleshooting... Should have never swapped slots without trying different cable.

Fucking tricky. Feel stupid about this but w/e. Now I'm so tired I don't even care much.

Last edited:
Found this thread while Googling, just wanted to chip in I was experiencing a similar issue (power lights on video card on, fans on, no monitor output or POST). I purchased an ASUS R9 280X (R9280X-DC2T-3GD5) and was running it on my older ASUS P8P67 (REV 3.1) motherboard.

I took advice on this thread and did a CMOS clear on my BIOS and I was able to successfully POST and get output (and successfully get to the OS and into games! :D).

Back