ASUS Rampage II Extreme @ [H]

So I seem to have topped out on my chip at 4.3 w/ HT disabled. I've tried all the way to 1.55 vcore trying to get 4.4 to run prime, but it's a no go. Unless there is some magical setting that I am missing (its possible) My chip is just a dog :(

So here's my 24/7 stable OC then:

4300.jpg

and the perforamnce numbers:

4300cpu.jpg

3DMARK 06 and Vantage:

4300gpu.jpg

The obligatory Crysis bench:

crysis4300.jpg

and for shits and giggles, a Vantage run with PHYSX enabled :rolleyes:

4300vanphysx.jpg

3D performance on this platform is simply stunning. I can't believe the framerates I'm seeing in Crysis!

I really am dissapointed with my chip though... Seems like I should be able to do better than 4.3 max stable :( I'm considering trying to return it and get a better one. The chip lottery can't treat me like a red headed stepchild forever, right???

Please post settings for 4.6 stable...

How long did you run prime at that speed?

Here are my settings for 4.4. Until I change my loop this is as far as I go for now.
CPU-4396
CPUv -1.525
BCLK -157
MULTI - 28
DRAMv -1.511
QPI/DRAM 1.48
RAM timinings- 8-8-8-20 1.5v

The funny thing is Real Temp and Asus Probe show very different CPU temps?
Hopefully I will have my H20 problems solved in the next two weeks. However, since I am mainly gaming, anything above 3.8-4.0 doesn't accomplish much. It appears, and I may be wrong, you are GPU limited above that point. I really have not done much with OC'ing the 280's as I have been busy enjoying the eye-candy in 25x16!

Nice!
Where do you have your ram, qpi and uncore speeds at?

I set the RAM to auto and the Corsair Dominator 1600 will easily hit 1800 if left alone. This MB is unreal! There is probably too much to tweak. I don't think you have a bad CPU, rather a MB that is finicky and lends itself to experts. I am not saying that you are not an expert and I am definitely not one, but this MB is bizarre.

Does anyone know if the top pciex1 slot (black) can take any type of pciex1 card? I realize it may be blocked by the fins on that cooling block, but i think i can work around that.

In particular, i want to put a xonar 1.3 audio card there.. that top slot is my only option.

I noticed the block isnt really hot, so i was thinking 1 of 2 things.. i could spread the fins slightly to allow the extension on the board to fit.. or there are sites that sell extension cables for the slot, that would allow me to plug into the slow but keep the card off the fins, using a little craftyness.

Cheers

Does anyone know if the top pciex1 slot (black) can take any type of pciex1 card? I realize it may be blocked by the fins on that cooling block, but i think i can work around that.

In particular, i want to put a xonar 1.3 audio card there.. that top slot is my only option.

I noticed the block isnt really hot, so i was thinking 1 of 2 things.. i could spread the fins slightly to allow the extension on the board to fit.. or there are sites that sell extension cables for the slot, that would allow me to plug into the slow but keep the card off the fins, using a little craftyness.

Cheers

Yes it can.

This board has been a serious source of frustration with my CM Stacker Evo:
1. The fan door cannot be used because the CPU position on the board prevents the door from closing
2. I cannot use 3 way SLI( the main reason I bought the board) because the
GTX 280 extends below the bottom of the board and hits the support bracket on the mother board tray.
3. With two GTX 280 in SLI, there is no room for my Creative X-FI. This forces me to use the
sound card that came with the board which is sonically inferior to my ears than the Creative.
If you own a CM Stacker Evo and want to utilizes it with this board, I would recommend a new case or consider another board that has a layout that will not cause the issues I have had to endure with the Stacker.

Yup its a pci express card otherwise how would it fit in a pcie slot wouldnt it? ;) Its X-Fi Titanium.

Does this board support Tri-SLI GTX 280's (double-slot coolers)?

Yes it does. However you have to be mindful about what case you install the setup into. The position of the expansion slots can cause the graphics card to hang fairly low which can cause clearance issues in some cases.

Well I think it's a good thing that it's going in a BTX case (Lian-Li V1000B Plus II).

I think that case is a standard ATX case, not a BTX case. It just happens to be an inverted ATX design which resembles BTX to some degree.

BTX was a lame duck to begin with. It addressed some thermal issues with Intel's CPUs at the time (although not effectively enough) and it didn't do anything to resolve ATX's other deficiencies.

Does this board support Tri-SLI GTX 280's (double-slot coolers)?

Yes it does. However you have to be mindful about what case you install the setup into. The position of the expansion slots can cause the graphics card to hang fairly low which can cause clearance issues in some cases.

Do you think the coolermaster atsc 840 would be able to hold this motherboard properly with Tri-Sli (gtx 280s or gtx 285s)?

Do you think the coolermaster atsc 840 would be able to hold this motherboard properly with Tri-Sli (gtx 280s or gtx 285s)?

Absolutely. The ATCS 840 is one of the largest tower cases out there. It can hold all of that with plenty of room to spare.

I have a few question guys.
I am thinking of building an i7 computer and this motherboard is one in my list of considerations.
Is the included creative labs card in the motherboard any good? I have an regular pci x-fi platinum with the front bay and I am wondering if the one with the mobo is a cheapo version or same as the retail card?
I am also wondering if I go with a single video card solution is there a slot and spacing for my regular x-fi plat. If the card included with the mobo able to support the front bay from my x-fi? I use some good headphones and I run them off the front jacks, more conveniently placed.
My last question is the board good enough to warrant a $100 difference over the ASUS P6T Deluxe and ASUS P6T6 WS Revolution?

Sorry for all the questions, I haven't been keeping up as much since I built my last system over 2yrs ago.

Heya. I'm sitting here with parts all over my floor and such, typing on my netbook, so I apologize if I missed the answer to this earlier... I find that the black PCI-E 1x slot simply won't fit my Asus Xonar DX because of the heatsink. Unfortunately, if I install my video card in the 1st PCI-E x16 slot its going to block the white x1 slot nearby. Reading the manual, it says that the board reduces the bandwidth to 8x if you try to run a single gfx card in the 2nd slot, so that wouldn't be a good idea.

Would it be possible for me to put my PCI-E x1 sound card in the third PCI-E x16 slot without havoc ensuing? After all, I've read that x16 is backward compatible of sorts and that any 8 4 or 1 device will work. Can I do this without the board freaking out and/or trying to SLI/Xfire my gfx card in slot 1 and sound card in slot 3? Or is there another solution? Thanks

Hi everyone - I posted this same thread to the generic "Motherboard" section not knowing I probably should have specified this thread. Sorry, I am new to Hard Forums...

I have just built my new Core i7 940 rig on an Asus Rampage II Extreme motherboard and am having a wierd problem. When I first turn on the PC and go into Vista, everything is extrmemely sluggish - ie. windows resizing seems like it is going 2 frames per second, scrolling in webpages is slow, etc. However, this problem goes away immediately when I play any of sort of graphic intensive game or even if I run winamp with a visualization plugin in full screen. The minute I run any of these apps, the PC runs perfectly; also, when i exit these apps and return to vista, the problem seems to be fixed and Vista runs smooth (until i reboot my PC and have to do it all over again.)

I haven't quite narrowed it down, but I think its either a motherboard issue, graphics issue, or software issue. FYI, this problem seems to go away if i start up in Safe Mode, making me think its a software issue. I have called both Asus and EVGA and neither of them know what is going on!

My system specs are below:

ASUS Rampage II Extreme (v. 903 BIOS)
EVGA GeForce GTX 260 - Two cards not running in SLI (I have a 3 monitor setup)
CORSAIR 1000HX 1000 watt PSU
Intel Core i7 940 Nehalem 2.93GHz (problem still persists if overclocked or not)
OCZ Gold 6GB (3 x 2GB) DDR3 SDRAM
Western Digital VelociRaptor 300GB
Windows Vista Ultimate SP1 64-bit
COOLER MASTER V8 CPU Cooler

Heya. I'm sitting here with parts all over my floor and such, typing on my netbook, so I apologize if I missed the answer to this earlier... I find that the black PCI-E 1x slot simply won't fit my Asus Xonar DX because of the heatsink. Unfortunately, if I install my video card in the 1st PCI-E x16 slot its going to block the white x1 slot nearby. Reading the manual, it says that the board reduces the bandwidth to 8x if you try to run a single gfx card in the 2nd slot, so that wouldn't be a good idea.

Would it be possible for me to put my PCI-E x1 sound card in the third PCI-E x16 slot without havoc ensuing? After all, I've read that x16 is backward compatible of sorts and that any 8 4 or 1 device will work. Can I do this without the board freaking out and/or trying to SLI/Xfire my gfx card in slot 1 and sound card in slot 3? Or is there another solution? Thanks

If you put the card in the slot that's generally used as the second slot in an SLI or CF configuration, then it should work fine without reducing the bandwidth to your primary slot.

I have a friend whos stumped as to whats going on,

his 295 gives him a bios error upon installation i think vga, since he cant see it he doesnt know for sure but the leds say so.

updated bios
excellent ps ultra 1600

his old ati card works fine, any suggestions or is this card toast?

I guess Zero82z kind of answered this, but if I slap a pci-e 1x raid card in pci-3 slot 3 (which is 8x capable) with my video cards in slots 1 and 2, while the x-fi module is installed in the pci-e 1x slot, will it keep slots 1 and 2 at full 16x? I'd like to run with two pci-e 1x devices and two pci-e 16x devices while maintain max bw for the video cards.. so I would be an a 1x 16x 16x 1x config... I know x58 has 36 lanes to use, so this should work in theory, but I wanted to make sure the board wouldn't go into 1x 16 8x 8x mode if it senses a device in the third pci-e slot.

I guess Zero82z kind of answered this, but if I slap a pci-e 1x raid card in pci-3 slot 3 (which is 8x capable) with my video cards in slots 1 and 2, while the x-fi module is installed in the pci-e 1x slot, will it keep slots 1 and 2 at full 16x? I'd like to run with two pci-e 1x devices and two pci-e 16x devices while maintain max bw for the video cards.. so I would be an a 1x 16x 16x 1x config... I know x58 has 36 lanes to use, so this should work in theory, but I wanted to make sure the board wouldn't go into 1x 16 8x 8x mode if it senses a device in the third pci-e slot.

If you have video cards in slot 1 and 2, and put another card in slot 3, I believe it will default to 16/8/8. As far as I know, in order for two of the slots to function at full bandwidth, the third must be empty.

that's what I was afraid of... seems like most of these do that.. the eclipse I have now (which needs to be rma'd) does not though, it will work in a 16/16/1 config as long as the device in slot3 is a 1x device.. so if I want to have a full 16x for the video cards, with two other 1x pci-e devices I am looking at the workstation board I think.. else I go pci x-fi with the P6T or the BioStar Tpower 58.. at any rate, I would pick up another eclipse i guess but been burned by msi twice in a row now so just not going back there..

Full 16x 16x nets you nothing over 8x 8x. I have to sell my R2E because it doesn't support Tri SLI because my case only has 7 pci expansion slots...I guess it's evga or dfi.

I'm waiting for the Evga Classified. That should give the R2E a run for its money...

Um, it will defintely give it a run, but early reports say their "classified" mobo will be $450. Now if it was priced at what the R2E is, then I could see that EVGA board being the one to get.

I'm willing to bet that it wont be that expensive. You just wait. 350-360 at most. Even Intel is going to drop prices on their processors. No one has that kind of cash. We're in a recession and these companies are going to try to sell it for $450 but you can be sure it won't last!

Would anyone be able to give me a template of base stats/settings to try for the following with a Rampage II Extreme (902 bios)?

i7 920
Corsair Dominator 1600
TRUE Black w/2x S-Flex

I'd like to try and hit 4.0, but in case my chip won't take it, how about one for 3.6 as well? Ideally, I'd like to keep HT on at all possible. Thanks everyone.

Hey Guys, I'm new to this forum, I'll try not to be a pest, although I may have a question from time to time.

Speaking of that; I'm hoping there's someone here with overclocking experience with the same base rig that I have.

My goal is to somehow get my memory to work @ advertized speed with my 4 ghz. OC w/ HT on, all extras/turbo off, 25 x 160 BCLK, QPI 1.38750, DR v 1.65681 & CPU v 1.42500. This OC is stable but only with mem @ 1604 8-9-9-24 2n. If I could just figure out how to get it stable @ 1866 or 2000 9-9-9-24 I would be overjoyed.

My main rig specs:

Asus Rampage II Extreme X58 Skt. LGA 1366 (Bios v.1001)
Intel Core i7-965 4.0 GHz 25 x 160 O/C
Koolance 340 CPU Waterblock
Swiftech NBMAX North Bridge Chipset Waterblock
Corsair Dominator 6GB 3 x 2GB DDR3 1866 MHz
BFG 3 X GTX 280 H2O (Tri SLI)
Western Digital 2 X 150 gb VelociRaptor Raid-0
Seagate 4 X 1 tb Barracuda ST31000340AS SATA 3.0Gb/s
D-Link DNS-343 4-Bay Network Storage Enclosure
Koolance/Lian-Li 1000W PC4-1025 H2o chassis w/xtra 422 500w radiator
Koolance PSU-1300ATX-12N H2o Power Supply
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Professional
Plextor PX-716 DVD-RW
LG Electronics GGW-H20L Blu-ray-RW
LG Electronics W3000H-Bn Black 30" 5ms Widescreen LCD Monitor
Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit SP1

EVGA needs an enthusiast board, and I totally would expect the prices to be at or above the 400mark.

The more I Look at that board the more I say to myself....That aint going to fit my TRUE 120......AS if I'd change from my R2E

Hey Guys, I'm new to this forum, I'll try not to be a pest, although I may have a question from time to time.

Speaking of that; I'm hoping there's someone here with overclocking experience with the same base rig that I have.

My goal is to somehow get my memory to work @ advertized speed with my 4 ghz. OC w/ HT on, all extras/turbo off, 25 x 160 BCLK, QPI 1.38750, DR v 1.65681 & CPU v 1.42500. This OC is stable but only with mem @ 1604 8-9-9-24 2n. If I could just figure out how to get it stable @ 1866 or 2000 9-9-9-24 I would be overjoyed.

My main rig specs:

Asus Rampage II Extreme X58 Skt. LGA 1366 (Bios v.1001)
Intel Core i7-965 4.0 GHz 25 x 160 O/C
Koolance 340 CPU Waterblock
Swiftech NBMAX North Bridge Chipset Waterblock
Corsair Dominator 6GB 3 x 2GB DDR3 1866 MHz
BFG 3 X GTX 280 H2O (Tri SLI)
Western Digital 2 X 150 gb VelociRaptor Raid-0
Seagate 4 X 1 tb Barracuda ST31000340AS SATA 3.0Gb/s
D-Link DNS-343 4-Bay Network Storage Enclosure
Koolance/Lian-Li 1000W PC4-1025 H2o chassis w/xtra 422 500w radiator
Koolance PSU-1300ATX-12N H2o Power Supply
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Professional
Plextor PX-716 DVD-RW
LG Electronics GGW-H20L Blu-ray-RW
LG Electronics W3000H-Bn Black 30" 5ms Widescreen LCD Monitor
Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit SP1

Roomraider,
are you using tri-sli and your X-Fi Titanim in the upper pci-ex1 slot ?
Is there no SCP (crackling/popping) when playing games ?
I'm asking this because i have lots of SCP on my current system (790i, tri-sli280, X-Fi titanium) with all 3 PCI-E 16x slots filled with VGA and upper PCI-Ex1 filled with X-Fi Titanium.
It's beacause all 4 cards use the same irq (no.16)
Now I might step over to RIIE if this fixes the SCP problems.
Would you be so kind to tell me if you got SCP and wich irq's your 3 VGA's and X-Fi use ?
Don't want to spend another 2 grand to run in the same problem :)

Tri SLI = IRQ #24, 30 & 32
X-Fi Titanim in the upper pci-ex1 slot IRQ #16
No popping or crackling

Sounds like you need to select "no plug & play OS" in the bios & reload windows so that the bios can delegate IRQ's.
Unfortunately the only way to reset the IRQ's after selecting "no plug & play OS" is to reload a fresh copy of the OS afterwards.

Hope that helped.

I've installed the addon xfi card..

But i'm slightly confused, should i install both the soundmax and xfi drivers? I tried just the xfi drivers, but accessing the volume panel for it, shows that no supported audio devices are found.. not sure why this is the case.. it also gives a similar error when i try to open the creative karaoke player..

Any thoughts? This is on x64 vista..

I've installed the addon xfi card..

But i'm slightly confused, should i install both the soundmax and xfi drivers? I tried just the xfi drivers, but accessing the volume panel for it, shows that no supported audio devices are found.. not sure why this is the case.. it also gives a similar error when i try to open the creative karaoke player..

Any thoughts? This is on x64 vista..

You must install the Soundmax driver 1rst then the Xfi software after.

Back