asus rampage ii extreme x58 owners I need info

haadij404

2[H]4U
I bought one of these boards open box and it didn't come with the supreme x-fi card or any driver cd's.

I can buy the card on ebay for cheap but I read you need to activate it for it work? is that true at all because i don't i dont have the key's as it was open box.

Also my other option is to get an asus xonar dx card and just use that instead. But the x fi can be bought for around $15 versus the xonar's $60.

You need the activation key for the sb x-fi software, but the card will still work fine without the additional software. I don't even install that extra stuff.

You need the activation key for the sb x-fi software, but the card will still work fine without the additional software. I don't even install that extra stuff.

nice thanks for the quick response!

how is the quality? is the basic soundmax driver any good? like how easy would it be to change between spdif and regular speakers?

You can d/l drivers for sound card and applications. You won't need key but usually on back or driver cd cover. Quality sound is good but separate card is better.

thanks for the info.

i did buy the supreme x fi and it worked well. i didnt need a serial for the creative stuff. but then i realized why not just get a legit sound card so i bought the xonar dx.

the x fi should help resale value down the road so that $15 wasn't really wasted.

Yes you did the right thing by buying a dedicated sound card.The asus's supreme fx- x-fi is a software sound card. And the creative serial is such a joke, i don't even know why they even bothered with it.

Fake pci-express card, aka riser card. With lame bundled creative software emulation. They could have gave a real card with a top end motherboard.

I actually prefered the supreme fx x fi card over the xonar dx (which I will most likely return)

I had the supreme x fi outputting optical to my HT reciever and my headphones connected to said receiver. it sounds better then the xonar imo.

also the fact if you wanna use the optical out on the xonar you lose the mic in. kinda silly to have the optical out and mic in share the same port. also it doesn't auto switch if you plug headphones into the front audio panel. you have to manually switch it.

so for the supreme x fi i could have my speakers, receiver and mic connected at the same time. it also doesn't require its own power cable. being able to change the output to my m audio speakers with a simple click versus having to buy a splitter or manually plugging it in is another victory for the supreme x fi.

I got the Xonar D2X and am using it on the R2E. All I can say is I'm hearing things in my music I never knew existed. It's incredible.

Back