ASUS Rampage II X58 mATX ETA ...

I've just installed a Corsair H50-1 CPU cooler which is great for keeping the CPU cool but also means there is no airflow around the CPU anymore for keeping the northbridge heatsinks cool :(

Just use this Zalman fan bracket to hang a quiet fan over the CPU area. Voila! Instant air flow. I've used these before and they are quite sturdy.

FAACZA123.jpg

(Apologies to Best Byte for hotlinking photos, but I'm also linking to product page so maybe they'll get something out of it in return. I've ordered from them before and they're legit. Disclaimer: I have no connection with Best Byte other than twice being a satisfied customer.)

Not much activity or developments with this board recently?

I was about to get a Maximus III Gene when somehow I got convinced at the last minute to spring for a Rampage II Gene.

New build:
Asus Rampage II Gene
Intel Core i7 930
12GB Corsair XMS3 1333HZ DDR3
Antec Mini P180 w/ 3 Scythe SlipStream fans
Scythe Mugen 2 rev b w/ 2 Scythe SlipStream fans
Intel 80GB X25-M SSD

I think we can look at it as no news is good news, other than a warm nothbridge, there aren't any major problems with the board. I've been running day in and day out at 4ghz. Havn't heard of anyone trying it with a 980x yet though.

The shop I'm buying it from is telling me not to go for the 12GB (2 packs) 1600MHz Corsair XMS3 RAM because "it might have issues" at 1333MHz. I was just looking at getting it for the sake of having the extra unused headroom but the shop says that Intel XMP doesn't work at all if I am filling all 6 DIMM slots.

Does this make sense? He told me to stick with the 1333MHz Corsair XMS3 instead when the 1600MHz is the same price ($199 CAD).

I'm planning on running nothing but stock in with this setup anyways.

Any advice? I mean the fancy Rampage II Gene's memory compatibility feature proclaimed on the box should let me run 6 DIMMs of the 1600MHz kit right?

The shop I'm buying it from is telling me not to go for the 12GB (2 packs) 1600MHz Corsair XMS3 RAM because "it might have issues" at 1333MHz. I was just looking at getting it for the sake of having the extra unused headroom but the shop says that Intel XMP doesn't work at all if I am filling all 6 DIMM slots.

Does this make sense? He told me to stick with the 1333MHz Corsair XMS3 instead when the 1600MHz is the same price ($199 CAD).

I'm planning on running nothing but stock in with this setup anyways.

Any advice? I mean the fancy Rampage II Gene's memory compatibility feature proclaimed on the box should let me run 6 DIMMs of the 1600MHz kit right?

Anything above 1066Mhz is technically overclocking, so ymmv. From all the i7 rigs I've built using all 6 slots, I've found additional tweaking is required for stability. It is likely that you can get it to work, but you may have to do some additional adjustments such as voltage adjustments or adjusting unlisted timings, such as back to back settings. If you're expecting plug and play with 100% stability, I think 1333Mhz modules would be the most you could count on, but by Intel specification, 1066 is all they're guaranteeing.

For some reason the Corsair kit did not show up as 12GB but 8GB when they were assembling the kit today but Patriot RAM did.

Does anyone have any recommendations on working 2x6GB kits for DDR3 RAM?

bah. putting in the hd5850 in the lower pcie slot blocks the jmicron esata port.

153nzat.jpg

Heh. My build is pretty similar.

Asus Rampage II Gene
Antec Mini P180 w/ 2 Scythe SlipStream fans
Scythe Mugen 2 w/ 2 Scythe SlipStream fans
Intel Core i7 920
6 gb ram OCZ 1333
1000x psu (forget what brand offhand since I haven't opened the pc up in like a year)

Asus put up a new bios earlier this month with a fairly extensive list of features, including support for new components.

Rampage II Gene 1307 BIOS
1. Improve memory compatibility
2. Improve system stability
3. Update CPU Level Up function
4. Fix DEL and F8 keys doesn't work with Microsoft Reclusa Keyboard
5. Fix 2.2T HDD size is wrong if Quick Boot option is disabled Either this is a typo, or we got some new drives finaly coming out.
6. Support new CPUs. Please refer to our website at: I'm assuming this is for the upcoming i7 970. http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx?SLanguage=en-us

No issues with the new bios after 24 hours. I used the Asus bios update utility for Windows as well.

Back