ASUS RMA refused due to physical damage need help.

piscian18

[H]F Junkie
This is a first time for me. ASUS has refused to replace or fix my Motherboard claiming it has physical damage. It looks like someone took a dremel tool to my motherboard and it definitely wasn't like when I shipped it. I don't have any recent pics of the motherboard so I'm not sure what I can do. Honestly my motherboard is pretty old and I'm afraid they did this to it so they could have an excuse to return it. Is there anything I can do to fight this?

Your RMA was received with physical damage (TRACE DAMAGE) which is not covered under warranty. We will have to return the unit unrepaired as we will not be able to replace it for a physical damage fee. Once the unit ships you will receive an automated email with the FedEx track#.

Best Regards

ASUS Customer Service Team

ad2nfq.jpg

Last edited:
That's just cosmetic, there's no traces or components there to get damaged. What did you send it in for? How long is the warranty?

That's just cosmetic, there's no traces or components there to get damaged. What did you send it in for? How long is the warranty?

The warranty was 3 years I believe. I sent it in because the Voltages in the bios weren't reading properly (5v would show as 3v 12v would show as 6v etc) and the OC bios profile wouldn't save.

Completely agree, that is inexcusable to deny you because of a cosmetic blemish like that where there is no traces or components as stated.....

Get a hold of a rep, give them hell if needed and let them know you will no longer be recommending them to your friends/family and people you build PC's for.

Yup, that is a pretty piss poor reason to deny an RMA. Let us know how it goes... I would escalate to higher ups if you can manage. If this is the kind of crap Asus tries to pull though... I would certainly think twice before buying from them again.

I contacted ASUS. They handed out my information to a manager. Hopefully I'll hear something back soon.

It's obviously ludicrous to deny an RMA for that cosmetic defect but it shows how far they are willing to go to save money on RMAs.

I wish ya well!

their policy states that it cant have any physical damage, not that it cant have any physical damage that could possibly cause a problem. good luck, but now since it has been in a forum, if they back off for you, then they have to back off for everybody.

on a customer service side, they should probably just replace..

on a strict warranty side, it probably shouldn't be replaceble under warrant with any damage. the Warranty is meant to cover "manufacture" defects, if i saw damage like that, even though it may not be the cause. First thing i'd probably think of is the motherboard has other "damage" that may be causing the issue.

What motherboard is this? if its might be cheaper just to buy another one off ebay or craigslist then battle it out too long with Asus.

good luck with the RMA, if you push them hard enough you may end up getting it to go through.

I had intel try this same thing on me. Physical damage cut traces. I refused to let them screw me. I talked to a manager then they were of no help. So I told them I'd like to speak to their boss. They never called me back so after 3 days I called back and instead of dealing with me they sent another board. Be persistent and don't accept that. You bought it with your hard earned money and they need to back up there products.

Fuck ASUS. They never called me back. When I called requesting an update they said they were working on my motherboard. Today I got the motherboard back and they had very obviously scratched the shit out of it and broken an IDE connector. Attached was a letter stating the board had been rejected. I will never use another ASUS product again.

Geez, I'm shopping for an i7 platform right now (forced upgrade), and I was looking at buying my 3rd asus board in a row. This makes me take a huge step back and think...

felt tip pen and the oil from your fingertip rubbed in will make that disappear. Old rework trick.

This isn't typical of them. You need to call back, man-up, and pitch a bitch. I've not once had a problem with ASUS ever and I've been using solely their motherboards since 2002.

This isn't typical of them. You need to call back, man-up, and pitch a bitch. I've not once had a problem with ASUS ever and I've been using solely their motherboards since 2002.

I spoke to a manager in the RMA department. He claims that they were supposed to send him the additional pictures of the trace damage but did not do so until friday and he was out office so they went ahead and shipped my motherboard back without me telling what the status was. I've been using ASUS for about 5 or 6 years without a problem until now. He says hes going follow up with the receiving department to see if they still had the box and if it was damaged but this is unlikely since I double packed it. I've pitched about as much of a bitch as I can think of and said I'll never use another ASUS product again, but he acted as though he didn't care. I mean WTF am I right?

So any specific suggestions on what to say would be nice, but this motherboard is probably fucked so I guess I'm on the lookout for a Gigabyte. Bye ASUS.

Sorry for the hassle man. I've been using ASUS boards for years now and have yet to RMA a board. In all honesty you can get a replacement board fairly cheap instead of putting all your energy into this.

I spoke to a manager in the RMA department. He claims that they were supposed to send him the additional pictures of the trace damage but did not do so until friday and he was out office so they went ahead and shipped my motherboard back without me telling what the status was. I've been using ASUS for about 5 or 6 years without a problem until now. He says hes going follow up with the receiving department to see if they still had the box and if it was damaged but this is unlikely since I double packed it. I've pitched about as much of a bitch as I can think of and said I'll never use another ASUS product again, but he acted as though he didn't care. I mean WTF am I right?

So any specific suggestions on what to say would be nice, but this motherboard is probably fucked so I guess I'm on the lookout for a Gigabyte. Bye ASUS.

did you receive the board back? maybe post some picks of the damaged areas

did you receive the board back? maybe post some picks of the damaged areas

Yeah I have the board. Someone at work just looked at it with me. There's gouges in the board where it looked like someone took a screw driver to it. Not sure if the traces can be fixed easily. I'll post pictures tonight. My friend had an issue a while back with ASUS where they tried to reject his board under similar circumstances, but of course it happened to be a board out of circulation like mine. He's suggesting I make a complaint with the BBB.

im picking up another GA-X58A-UD3R today from frys (i accidentally picked up a EX58A with only 4 memory slots) while my p6t deluxe is on its SECOND rma. I'm crossing my fingers they send me back a working board so i can resell it. You won't be disappointed going gigabyte i've had rock solid perfomance with the same OC as the asus boards and ZERO problems so far.

Isn't there an Asus rep on the boards here? I don't know what his/her username is, but I'm damn sure I've seen them on here.

sort of unrelated but I've never liked asus since I had their products continually fail on me

All dating back to the A7V133 board till the Z71V where their design was just not as good on the inside of the laptop. $1800 laptop dying after 13 months when it had a 1 year warranty, love it

Gotta agree with gigabyte too, never a problem

Fuck ASUS. They never called me back. When I called requesting an update they said they were working on my motherboard. Today I got the motherboard back and they had very obviously scratched the shit out of it and broken an IDE connector. Attached was a letter stating the board had been rejected. I will never use another ASUS product again.

Same exact thing happend to me about 6 years ago, I had sent my motherboard in for RMA due to it was not powering up at all and when they received my board I received the same e-mail due to physical damage they cannot service. I had never tampered with it and was in mint condition when I shipped it. Never used Asus since :)

If the board does indeed have damaged traces I would be willing to fix free of charge, only pay to/from shipping costs. (I have over a decade of rework and repair experience, so it'd be an easy fix for me).

Lemme know via PM if you are interested.

Regards,
Kris

I had trouble with ASUS around the time of the A7N8X's heyday. It wouldn't work with any consistency (not work as in: wouldn't run anything reliably for any amount of time). I sent the motherboard in three times for RMA/replacement service and none of the boards they sent back worked any better.

Dropped a Gigabyte GA-7ZXR into the exact same box -- worked like a charm. Never used or recommended ASUS again.

OK, I have to ask, is Gigabytes service any better? I plan to buy a 1336 mobo in the next 48 hours so I am paying a lot of attention to this thread.

Another vote for Gigabyte. I haven't had to RMA anything, but I had a video card issue and they were very helpful

Another vote for Gigabyte. I haven't had to RMA anything, but I had a video card issue and they were very helpful

Another vote for Gigabyte, had been using their boards for past years and never had a single issue with any of them.

I've dealt with Gigabyte RMA once, and they were quite helpful, I broke off some capacitors off my board and they repaired it for me. If they refused my RMA I would have been pissed.

Back