ASUS ROG GTX 1080 STRIX GAMING Video Card Review @ [H]

Sorry Kyle, but your graphics card is in another castle.

ASUS stopping production of the Asus Strix 1080 oC edition • /r/nvidia

...and in the same thread...

We have created some wrong claims regarding ASUS STRIX GTX 1080 OC, where we have told customers that we can not deliver the graphic card any time soon, because of no cards in production from ASUS because of a high RMA rate. So we recommended customers to cancel their orders.

This is a misunderstanding from our side, and it is not the truth. It was an assumtion based on no deliveries.

ASUS STRIX GTX 1080 OC is in production and delivery is only limited at this moment.

We regret the misunderstanding and look forward to offer our customers the graphic card.

No comments for the card, nothing new that anyone can't guess only I have to say this time is, great review Grady, Thanks, amazing progress with the reviews.. keep the good job...

Production has not been stopped, there are not any RMA issues, and the post was already verified as being incorrect based on an "ASSumption" by a store employee without any official comment or response from ASUS. ASUS EU responded to the shop and they have issued a clarification on their original misleading statement.

See, had you asked the question here, instead of posting baseless forum rumors, maybe someone would have reached out to their resources for a statement from the company.

Can confirm, the 1080 Strix is a beast. Even the non OC version clocks around the same.

I found the Asus Tweak software non intuitive and cumbersome and just used MSI Afterburner instead.

I doubt I'd be in the market for one in the near future myself, but nice review.

Read it all earlier, had to come back and comment.

I returned my early production run Strix 1080 to Newegg before trying it. Didn't want to get a $700 lemon when there were multiple rumors of production issues and high temps along with a few people discovering their thermal pads were missing.

Also seems weird Gigabyte and MSI appear to be sending out way more cards than ASUS at this point, even though ASUS makes the most GPUs for the global market.

I returned my early production run Strix 1080 to Newegg before trying it. Didn't want to get a $700 lemon when there were multiple rumors of production issues and high temps along with a few people discovering their thermal pads were missing.

Also seems weird Gigabyte and MSI appear to be sending out way more cards than ASUS at this point, even though ASUS makes the most GPUs for the global market.

I think the Gigabyte and MSI cards are just reference designs right? This would explain the volume difference. My Strix maxxes out at 72C in The Witcher 3 with the default fan profile and overclocked. I think the QC issue was a pretty small group thankfully.

Not saying it's a reliable source, but something to investigate. Whatever Asus says could be damage control. I think it's worth looking into.
Thanks for your insight. I am sorry that direct interaction with an ASUS company representative is not good enough for you. Should you wish to discuss the rumor, it legitimacy has already been addressed here. If you wish to further discuss it, got the forum you found it on and discuss it there. Thanks.

I think the Gigabyte and MSI cards are just reference designs right? This would explain the volume difference. My Strix maxxes out at 72C in The Witcher 3 with the default fan profile and overclocked. I think the QC issue was a pretty small group thankfully.

Gigabyte and MSI non-FE cards have custom PCBs have been eaiser to get (particularly the 1070 variety). Those card share a lot of hardware between the 1070 and 1080 Pascal variants. It appears that not one single Strix 1070 has sold anywhere while Gigabyte and MSI don't have a problem cranking out cards. It doesn't make a lot of sense that ASUS would be so far behind on this launch, it directly leads to speculation.

Also they raised the price of the Strix 1080 OC to $720 on Newegg, at the request of ASUS.

Last edited:
Not saying it's a reliable source, but something to investigate. Whatever Asus says could be damage control. I think it's worth looking into.

Someone from ASUS already addressed it. Why is it at all "worth looking into" unless you're some shill from another company trying to cause trouble for ASUS?

SURE you did. But with Newegg's "Replacement Only Return Policy" on all the new GTX 1080 cards, you just got a STRIX 1080 back, right?
So how's that working out for you?

You can return unopened hardware for a refund. The third line of the Newegg return policy states:

All products that are new with the retail packaging never opened can be returned to Newegg within 30 days regardless of the individual return policy.
Return Policy (US)

So how's that lack of knowledge working out for you? :eek:

Last edited:
My last three cards have been ASUS Strix Edition cards, and I want this one pretty badly to be my fourth - but not at $720. Pardon my french, but fuck that.

I'll probably be looking at Zotac or MSI at this point...

But awesome review as always!

Yeah, Newegg upped the price $40 after we published our review. :(

so was the GPU when OC'd CPU limited? the OC fps numbers are a bit low given such a huge OC

Looks like a beast card...only downside is, where can I get one for MSRP? :p

I might be a naive in saying this because I don't know the whole behind the scenes stuff at ASUS... But I find it kind of messed up that they made Newegg raise the price on their 1080 Strix.

I know supply and demand and all but I had my eye on this card along with the Gigabyte Xtreme and EVGA FTW. I totally dismissed the MSI Gaming because they are a bit overpriced compared to the competition and it looks like ASUS will go into my personal pass this time around for my next upgrade.

I'm a huge ASUS fan too and have enjoyed thier ROG line over the years but I guess my first Strix purchase won't be happening anytime soon.

If it was Asus that hiked the price, IMO I'd be downgrading them to a Silver award for pricing. (If pricing is a factor)
Well, I have to say this to you. I am not going to start going back and changing reviews and awards for what happens after those are published by us. Unless it is to correct a typo or error. I have had this rule for a long time and I am not changing it now. I checked the pricing 5 minutes before I published as I try to always do.

Gigabyte and MSI non-FE cards have custom PCBs have been eaiser to get (particularly the 1070 variety). Those card share a lot of hardware between the 1070 and 1080 Pascal variants. It appears that not one single Strix 1070 has sold anywhere while Gigabyte and MSI don't have a problem cranking out cards. It doesn't make a lot of sense that ASUS would be so far behind on this launch, it directly leads to speculation.

Also they raised the price of the Strix 1080 OC to $720 on Newegg, at the request of ASUS.

We did not instruct Newegg to raise their price on the cards. The $679.99 MSRP remains in effect for the card. As for the GTX1070 Strix, they are shipping in volume to the distribution channel this week and should show up next week.

We did not instruct Newegg to raise their price on the cards. The $679.99 MSRP remains in effect for the card. As for the GTX1070 Strix, they are shipping in volume to the distribution channel this week and should show up next week.

You should request the correct people go beat down Newegg then ;)

Thanks for the update fine sir.

Last edited:

Thank you for re-affirming my suspicion that Newegg are, in fact, full of crap. Nice that they place the blame squarely on Asus in public on social media, fully expecting not to get called out on it.

Before people make too many assumptions, this doesn't mean ASUS didn't raise the wholesale price of the card in response to the demand for it. It doesn't mean they did either, but they could have, that would arguably have been a good business decision given the demand. And if ASUS did raise the wholesale price, Newegg may have raised the retail price by a like amount - also a sound business decision. Why let the E-Bay scalpers make all the profits, after all? It's all none of our business who did what, tho. Prices rise and fall.

MSRP is a Suggested Retail Price. It's not in itself binding on anyone, absent other contractual stipulations. Go try to buy a hot-selling new car and you'll see this proven everyday - sometimes the dealer bundles on useless "paint protection packages" and the like and sometimes they just put "Dealer Markup - $4000" on the price sticker. Don't like it? Don't buy that car.

Before people make too many assumptions, this doesn't mean ASUS didn't raise the wholesale price of the card in response to the demand for it. It doesn't mean they did either, but they could have, that would arguably have been a good business decision given the demand. And if ASUS did raise the wholesale price, Newegg may have raised the retail price by a like amount - also a sound business decision. Why let the E-Bay scalpers make all the profits, after all? It's all none of our business who did what, tho. Prices rise and fall.

MSRP is a Suggested Retail Price. It's not in itself binding on anyone, absent other contractual stipulations. Go try to buy a hot-selling new car and you'll see this proven everyday - sometimes the dealer bundles on useless "paint protection packages" and the like and sometimes they just put "Dealer Markup - $4000" on the price sticker. Don't like it? Don't buy that car.
This is the way it rolls with NVIDIA to some extent.

NVIDIA Dictates Advertised Video Card Pricing - UMAP - NVIDIA Dictates Advertised Video Card Pricing

I know supply and demand and all but I had my eye on this card along with the Gigabyte Xtreme and EVGA FTW. I totally dismissed the MSI Gaming because they are a bit overpriced compared to the competition and it looks like ASUS will go into my personal pass this time around for my next upgrade.

strange, the MSI is in Belgium/Netherlands actually cheaper then the Asus one 849€ vs 899€ they did up the F.E. from 799€ to 829€ in some places. Got my MSI preordered hope to get it b4 the 1080 Ti launches.

I felt kinda ripped for getting the Strix for $670 but I feel better now haha.

Good to know. If I was in the market for a 1080 the increase in price would have just made me go for the Gigabyte Extreme GAMING over the STRIX.

Have you heard anything on when the 1080 stock will stabilize? I want the 1080 Strix. From my view it currently seems to be the best one with all the bells and whistles and will match my very nice ASUS motherboard. Using a cheap card and not being able to max my settings on my brand new gaming system is frustrating. Weeks I can wait, months not so much.

The price gouging is insane for this card. I want a 1080 Strix as well as it seems to be a step up from my 290x.

This card is going for 800-1000 from resellers. I want this card but I'm no fool that will pay this much for it. Do you think supply will normalize in a few weeks?

Have you heard anything on when the 1080 stock will stabilize? I want the 1080 Strix. From my view it currently seems to be the best one with all the bells and whistles and will match my very nice ASUS motherboard. Using a cheap card and not being able to max my settings on my brand new gaming system is frustrating. Weeks I can wait, months not so much.
I think you should start to see some positive changes next week.

The price gouging is insane for this card. I want a 1080 Strix as well as it seems to be a step up from my 290x.

This card is going for 800-1000 from resellers. I want this card but I'm no fool that will pay this much for it. Do you think supply will normalize in a few weeks?

Yes.

I'm afraid that this review will make this particular one even harder to get because it's so good. Haven't been so lucky in my attempts so far.

Now the next step is to overclock the overclocked 980 Ti and compare it to the overclock, to see how the overclock compares to the overclock :eek:
I know you are joking but I really would love to have seen this, ie a maxed OC 1080 vs a maxed OC 980Ti. According to your review of the ASUS GTX 980 Ti STRIX DCIII OC you got a final OC of 1531 Mhz, 101MHz faster than the operated out-of-box OC. I can guess the gap closes about 10% so the 1080 goes from 20-35% better down to 10-25% faster. Sound about correct?

Got mine at regular price from Amazon via nowinstock alert. Super quiet and I can run newer games at 4K at very high setting and maintain 60fps

throw a second one in there and you can player witcher 3 @ 4k with ultra settings and maintain 80+fps. :)

In stock at Amazon for $679 MSRP right now. It's gone in and out of stock a few times in the last 15 minutes.

Back