ASUS RT-AC66R Remote Web Access Issue

TechLarry

RIP [H] Brother - June 1, 2022
I've set up a new Server 2012 machine, and everything is going well except I can't remote web access to work.

I have the ASUS RT-AC66R router (same as the RT-AC66U).

First, automatic setup in Server 2012 Essentials fails. Doesn't surprise me as throughout the history of WHS it never worked right either :)

But in the past I've always been able to set the route up manually in the router, and it was fine.

I've followed the MS instructions, routing port 443 to the servers static IP address. Still doesn't work.

I know the server is capable because if I open a browser and hit it with the local NAT address of the server, remote access comes up fine.

I also tried the direct public IP of my router, bypassing DNS, in case it was a host-name problem. Did not help.

Not sure where to go from here...

From microsoft,

Routers on Windows SBS 2008 must be configured to forward Internet traffic to TCP ports 80, 443, 987, and 3389.

I'd expect the same ports would be needed for 2012. Are you not receiving a page at all when you attempt to connect? Or are you getting the page then not able to connect after selecting a remote machine?

Page not found occurs.

It works fine when access internally via NAT IP.

I'll set up those ports and see what happens !

3389 is RDC. That's odd...

No Joy.

I'm convinced there are major bugs in this firmware. It's initial issue RTM firmware, and there are no updates listed for it.

From what I remember, the Dark Knight went through similar growing pains when it was released.

This router is so GD fast there is no way I'm returning it :)

I cant imagine that they would release a firmware that cant port forward, but its always a possibility. Maybe try setting up a dmz rather than a forward and see what goes?

Well, it looks like they did because it sure isn't working.

There are also issues with the samba share stuff. The folder delete function doesn't work at all.

And, the iTunes and other share servers are buggy and require occasional reboots to get them running again.

If it were any other router it would be back in the box at the store about now.

From microsoft,

Routers on Windows SBS 2008 must be configured to forward Internet traffic to TCP ports 80, 443, 987, and 3389.

I'd expect the same ports would be needed for 2012. Are you not receiving a page at all when you attempt to connect? Or are you getting the page then not able to connect after selecting a remote machine?

why do you need 3389, ? ( i know what it is for ) but why does 3389 need to be forwarded ?

You don't. In 2012 only port 443 is needed.

I'm not sure why MS has 3389 on that list unless they needed RDC enabled in that version of SBS as well.

Maybe if you want to RDC in remotely, but Essentials has better tools for that.

You don't. In 2012 only port 443 is needed.

I'm not sure why MS has 3389 on that list unless they needed RDC enabled in that version of SBS as well.

Maybe if you want to RDC in remotely, but Essentials has better tools for that.

can't you just log into the sbs page and then create your connection and go over https port instead ? ive done it and wrench00 showed it to me. He said i don't ever need to open port 3389 for that if you have a sbs

No clue why they added 3389 to the list. The info is a direct copy from technet. I do know that in certain scenarios if you don't add 987 you will get to the workstation list in RWW but wont actually be able open the Rdp session.

Aha! I knew it :)

New firmware released today, and from the description it appears it covers the port forwarding issue. We'll see :)

ASUS RT-AC66R Firmware Version 3.0.0.4.246
Fix:
1. DMZ and HW accelerator coexist issue.
2. Some 3G modem issues
3. Can't reset to default through Software Button when AiCloud is enabled.
4. WPS related issues.
5. VPN dns issue in Android/iOS
6. Guest network cannot get an IP address in AP mode.
7. Buffer overrun problem. Special thanks to Merlin for his contribution.

Modify
1. Add enhanced interference management option for 2.4GHz in Advanced settings->wireless-> Professional
2. Add GRO option in Advanced settings->LAN->Switch control.
Please disable it if there are problems in UPnP and port forwarding.

3. Add firmware version checking in Quick Internet Setup process.
4. Wireless is configurable in media bridge mode
5. Add PIN code error alerting for USB modem
6. WPS button can be configured as wifi on/off button

AiCoud (for more information, please refer to http://event.asus.com/2012/nw/aicloud/index.htm)
1. Modify web user interface.
2. Folder is shareable with shared link.
3. The media files can be previewed when received the share link for folder.
4. Redirect mp3 https share link to MP3 player on IOS device.
5. Fixed the large file renaming problem
6. Fixed some UI issues.

Got kinda interrupted today by a Win8 install that toasted itself. Will pick back up on this tomorrow.

Well, after research I found out that the firmware in asus routers will not allow port setting by UPnP below 1024.

There is also a switch setting, new to todays firmware release, that is kind of a mystery but is supposed to help with port forwarding issues.

Bottom line, I can now access the server :)

I know, resurrection of this thread, but after upgrading to this router (had a Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH that worked just fine forwarding 443). I'm having the same issue you were, and I'm running the latest ASUS firmware, 3.0.0.4.266 .

I had the port forwarding settings set up manually in the router before I even did a repair on Anywhere Access in Server 2012 Essentials. Even so, Server says my router isn't set up properly. I looked at the advanced settings under "LAN-->Switch Control", but my only two options are Jumbo Frames (which I did enable when setting up) and "Disable HW Accelerator", the "GRO option" in the previous post doesn't exist.

Larry, can you let me know what your settings are set to for both of these?

I just found out, ASUS' AiCloud feature uses port 443, which appears to explain some of this.

I'm going to have to see if there's a way to change that, or if I can either redirect an alternate WAN port to 443 on the LAN, or, if Anywhere Access' ports can be changed from default.

Back