ASUS screwed up my RMA, they're offering a replacement, good trade off?

EGM92

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey everyone,

I currently have x2 4870x2 Trifan editions. These were replacements from the TOP 4870x2's that Asus used to offer. Recently the video would drop out of sync, card would lockup mid game and such. When I tried to RMA they told me that the part number was wrong and they made a mistake on their end by sending me those cards, after going back and forth with an agent they offered to replace my screwed 4870x2 Trifan edition with a Single PCB ENGTX295/2DI/1792MD3. I haven't had an Nvidia card since the FX5700 then jumped to a 8800GT which didn't last me long. So I'm looking at these specs and they look pretty damn compared to the 4870x2

Is it a good swap? Anything I need to know about that card? Really noisy? Heat?

I'd appreciate any information.

It's a great swap since the GTX 295 is definitely faster, and blow trades with the HD5870 if not edge it most of the time.

i have no experience with either card, but from reading reviews/user impressions i'd have no problem taking the 295.

I would do it but .....

i dont think u will be able to run 4870x2 and a gtx 295 in the same box..

Are the resale value on these cards high? The agent told me I'd be getting a full retail boxed card.

Ask for a 5870 instead :D

But really, the gtx285 is a slightly faster card, so good trade off.

It's not a bad swap if you're have a single 4870x2 now; it's not clear from your original post if you just typoed an extra x2, or if you have two 4870x2's running as a quadfire setup. If that's the case it's a rotten deal because you'll be going from 4GPUs to 2GPUs.

It's not a bad swap if you're have a single 4870x2 now; it's not clear from your original post if you just typoed an extra x2, or if you have two 4870x2's running as a quadfire setup. If that's the case it's a rotten deal because you'll be going from 4GPUs to 2GPUs.

^^^ good point, i originally took it for a typo.

Sorry for not clarifying, I do have a CrossfireX setup so it's 2x HD4870x2's. I'm not getting much performance gains from the Quad GPU setup, it would be nice if they could share a 4GB memory pool, but that's a pipe dream. Seems everyone's raving about the 295, I'm just looking at the cards and the coolers fan look like they're 50% or so blocked off. Is that really how they look? Is the fan noisy like the HD4870X2 reference coolers?

Well if you can ask them for a 5870 then cant you crossfire it with the 4870x2 when the drivers come out?

Sorry for not clarifying, I do have a CrossfireX setup so it's 2x HD4870x2's. I'm not getting much performance gains from the Quad GPU setup, it would be nice if they could share a 4GB memory pool, but that's a pipe dream. Seems everyone's raving about the 295, I'm just looking at the cards and the coolers fan look like they're 50% or so blocked off. Is that really how they look? Is the fan noisy like the HD4870X2 reference coolers?

in that case, i would demand another X2 so you can continue on with CrossfireX. unless you're extremely unhappy with your CrossfireX setup and intend to go back to one card anyway. if that's the case, then i would accept the 295 and sell your remaining X2.

A GTX 295 is faster than a 4870x2 straight up. However unless they're willing to change both of your 4870x2s for GTX295, then it's not worth it. Because the Nvidia and AMD cards won't link together. Also ask if they will exchange for 5870s. Two 5870's in crossfire will have roughly the same performance in DX10.x as a pair of 4870x2s and will have DX11 and eyefinity as well.

I just asked for an ATI card and well I got offered a 4890 which is a downgrade. I think I'll go with the 295.

Yeah, once you get it, sell it, and buy a used 4870x2 and maybe make a 100 dollars profit.

Took the GTX295, they wouldn't offer me a 5870 cause it's "Not comparable" to the HD4870X2 so whatever, I wouldn't want a 5870, maybe an x2 version would be nice, thanks for the input everyone!

Well tell em the 295 isn't comparable nor compatable with the other 4870x2 that you want to crossfire it with.

Edit: Do as Omegas posted get the 295 sell it and sell the 4870x2 and get a pair of 5870's. Win Win for you!

Last edited:

The Geforce GTX 295 is a faster card than the 4870 X2 is. No doubt about it. The fan on the Geforce GTX 295 is also a much quieter solution. The 4870 X2 reference coolers can be almost unbearable at times. Given the fact that the CrossfireX scaling sucks pretty badly beyond two GPUs I'd seriously consider selling the good 4870 X2 and just using the Geforce GTX 295 in it's place.

When I had dual 4870 X2's I noticed that the second one added almost nothing in many games. Other games the performance increase wasn't worth much given the cost of the card and the other issues that went along with it. (Heat, power consumption etc.)

Saying that the 5870 is not comparable is a joke. They are already offering you a GTX 295 which is faster than the 5870.

take the 295 and sell it, take the x2 4870 and sell it, buy two 5870's and have a good day.

What a hassle lol. They should just replace both cards with 2 5870x2's

I have a CM690, I doubt that a 5870 would fit in my case, my power cable would get in the way. though I'd be willing to buy a Cosmos case for a 5870x2. I went with the 295 and the card is actually in the mail so it's set.

Just got the card in, Asus decided to do both of my cards since they were a pair. I got one 295 in, I got another one coming soon.

sfbdc7.jpg

8ys75t.jpg

i think they only reason they did this was because nobody wants to buy them, either way id sell both of these, and pick up a single 5870 :p

i think they only reason they did this was because nobody wants to buy them, either way id sell both of these, and pick up a single 5870 :p

I wouldn't. The Geforce GTX 295 is the fastest card around right now. No it doesn't support Eyefinity or DX11 but unless you've got three nice LCD's to use I don't see that as being a huge drawback. DX11 isn't relevant just yet either.

5870 has my vote as well, way better than a 295 or x2.

Man don't listen to everyone pushing you on the 5870.. yes its great but seeing ASUS offered you (2) GTX295's I think you came off great. I hope you have an X58 board that can do SLI and not an X48 or P45 which is only crossfire. I am actually impressed Asus did a decent job on their support. Will make me think about looking into their cards again instead of just taking their bios lol.

Good deal. Glad you got the matched pair. Like I said, a single 295 would have been pretty useless. a pair of them is beastly for DX 9 to DX 10 games. :)

Back