ASUS Striker as Newegg

buffbiff21 said:
lol in an attempt to change this thread from all this damn debate madness i may as well attempt to answer that.
Thnx for your answer. I'll look into that topic as soon as I have my Striker, but it will probably take a while before I have it (Europe :rolleyes: )

that price is fucking way out of line....cmon asus...just because you have a few leds on mobo and a lcd readout on the fucking back of the mobo...where do you get off? and that heatpipe design is fucking horrible looking...I will stick with my evga!

For those that CAN be patient AJUMP.com has the boards for $331 and free shipping. I called yesterday and they expect to be able to ship pre-orders out "before" 12/8.

edit: Added a LINK for the patient and lazy. :D

I'm not sure Asus is to blame for the high priced mobo... I have yet to see any official price tag directly from Asus on the Striker. Also, some websites are selling the mobo much lower than $400. If anything, I'd switch some of the blame onto the resellers who seem to be marking up the price...

Just a thought :)

Probably when all the other mobo companies come out with their 680i and 650i boards, the prices will drop...hopefully.

yep... I was sitting there on the buy button... $447 and change... I could not bring myself to do it last night. lol. I went back to the page just now and saw the auto notify thing and thought "whew". heh.. I would gain nothing moving to this board, really, except for the ability to run SLI later when I want to.. and probably a bunch of headaches getting my rig dialed in again.. there's nothing I can't run now extremely well with my one 8800GTX on the P5W DH Dlx so I am really trying to hang onto the "if it aint broke, don't fix it" philosophy. :) Plus I am sure there will be a shit ton of mobo options for when I want to go SLI.. I want to see the MSI, and DFI variants of the 680i.. word around the camp fire says DFI's RD600 is out Dec 15th, and their 680i is out Jan 2007.

so remind me again what justifies the price of this board? is the 680i chipset the only quad-core compatible chipset?

Justification?

1. Brand name; It's usual Asus with a high price tag on a new product.
2. Hmm, it has a heatpipe, which makes it cost more. Sarcastically speaking of course. :D

fireluxx said:
Justification?

1. Brand name; It's usual Asus with a high price tag on a new product.
2. Hmm, it has a heatpipe, which makes it cost more. Sarcastically speaking of course. :D
1. Even Asus hasnt charged this much for a stright up desktop board before, maybe for their workstation/server offerings with SCSI and other nice things, but not a desktop board..
2. last I checked, heatpipes didnt cost $200.

r_a_s88 said:
so remind me again what justifies the price of this board? is the 680i chipset the only quad-core compatible chipset?

there are a number of chipsets that support quads .the 680i is just one of them . the 965p's and most 975x-g's and there is even a via 880pro that will support the q-cores .

revenant said:
yep... I was sitting there on the buy button... $447 and change... I could not bring myself to do it last night. lol. I went back to the page just now and saw the auto notify thing and thought "whew".
I was in the exact same situation. I too was relieved when they sold out as I had almost given in and bought it.

For me, I'm not entirely thrilled with the eVGA 680i solution. The capacitors on the back limit my heatsink choices and I've always been a fan of Asus's build quality and overall sense of solid stability.

My "justification" for paying that much for a motherboard would be that I've already paid $270 for one. So another $100 or so isn't too much for peace of mind and a quality name brand, a bit of bling. . . and a keychain.

I decided to wait because I haven't yet seen any definitive reviews (part of me suspects [H] may have gotten a dud since there has been no review after a few disappointing informal reports on the forums). . . and right now BIOS updates seem to be coming out quicker for my eVGA 680i.

JSF35rhino said:
there are a number of chipsets that support quads .the 680i is just one of them . the 965p's and most 975x-g's and there is even a via 880pro that will support the q-cores .
680i (and the other nv 6xx) is the only (new) chipset for Intel CPUs that supports SLi. That's pretty much the only thing that sets it apart for me. That and the ability to totally disassociate RAM speed and CPU speed.

From what I heard the Striker Extreme is suppose to retail for around $320(still too high IMO). So if NE, ZZF, and others are charging over that then its not ASUS's fault. Its the stores that are at fault. Just my opinion about the price gouging. And IMHO it is price gouging.

Edit: I went back to the AT thread Gary Kay mentioned MSRP and he said $329. Not $320. So stores are charging $70-$80 over MSRP apparently.

Anybody has an idea when Striker Ex will be widely available?
I ordered mine from amazon, the estimate shipping date is Dec 28th.....
I am thinking about canceling the order if I can't get it before Christmas.

Hornswoggler said:
Newegg has another Asus board listed now, the ASUS P5N32-E for $299. This is starting to sound a whole lot more reasonable. I would love to see a feature comparison matrix on all three 680i boards.
Same board w/out the blings :D

enzoshadow said:
Anybody has an idea when Striker Ex will be widely available?
I ordered mine from amazon, the estimate shipping date is Dec 28th.....
I am thinking about canceling the order if I can't get it before Christmas.

Newegg on Monday.

revenant said:
yep... I was sitting there on the buy button... $447 and change... I could not bring myself to do it last night. lol. I went back to the page just now and saw the auto notify thing and thought "whew". heh.. I would gain nothing moving to this board, really, except for the ability to run SLI later when I want to.. and probably a bunch of headaches getting my rig dialed in again.. there's nothing I can't run now extremely well with my one 8800GTX on the P5W DH Dlx so I am really trying to hang onto the "if it aint broke, don't fix it" philosophy. :) Plus I am sure there will be a shit ton of mobo options for when I want to go SLI.. I want to see the MSI, and DFI variants of the 680i.. word around the camp fire says DFI's RD600 is out Dec 15th, and their 680i is out Jan 2007.

lol you did good, i wouldnt buy it for that much anyway. I'd wait for abit/dfi to come out with their 680i board, screw asus with their pricing atm. And dont think you're paying top dollar and you will get top service. The same thing happened to the P5W when it came out, it was sold out everywhere for atleast $265-299. Look at it now, cant even get one bios to adjust sub timing, not one. And that was their high-end board too.

decapitator said:
Newegg on Monday.

Yea, I was checking all day today and they eventually removed the ETA of today and showed simply OUT OF STOCK. The same thing happened to me last Monday - and I don't know how I managed to miss that it was in stock for a whole day last Thursday.

Does anyone have any idea when NE will actually have the board? If things work out like last week I would expect this Thursday. Because last week the ETA was Monday - nothing happened, then (according to this thread, as I didn't bother checking on Thursday) they were back in stock on Thursday.

Called NE customer service last week as well as this week and was told nothing helpful.

Irritated that I didn't bother checking on Thursday though! I swear I did, but according to this thread it was at NE on Thursday for at least 4 hours. :( And here I was like a sucker repeatedly refreshing NE's page today for nothing... lol

syne_24 said:
lol you did good, i wouldnt buy it for that much anyway. I'd wait for abit/dfi to come out with their 680i board, screw asus with their pricing atm. And dont think you're paying top dollar and you will get top service. The same thing happened to the P5W when it came out, it was sold out everywhere for atleast $265-299. Look at it now, cant even get one bios to adjust sub timing, not one. And that was their high-end board too.

at this point I am going to put $$ into faster memory and a quad core.. by then the rest of the 680i's should start appearing. weeeeee!

Imo, if you have a good N680i (EVGA, BFG or even ECS) stay with it.

I tortured my BFG board for 4 weeks (so far) and keep finding a bunch of (bios) setting combination. For instance, FSB <1699 is faster than FSB >1700.
More voltages on SPP and FSB with default multi will take your ram to 1300 easy as long as Northbridge not too hot.

Striker and any N680i board are basically the same board, if you can't oc regular N680i board then striker will not strike you.

Any N890i board (with the right bios tweak) will take your (decent) DDR2 ram to a new level.

Heres with BFG and an ok. ram...

screenshot261gt5.jpg

antioch said:
Yea, I was checking all day today and they eventually removed the ETA of today and showed simply OUT OF STOCK. The same thing happened to me last Monday - and I don't know how I managed to miss that it was in stock for a whole day last Thursday.

Does anyone have any idea when NE will actually have the board? If things work out like last week I would expect this Thursday. Because last week the ETA was Monday - nothing happened, then (according to this thread, as I didn't bother checking on Thursday) they were back in stock on Thursday.

Called NE customer service last week as well as this week and was told nothing helpful.

Irritated that I didn't bother checking on Thursday though! I swear I did, but according to this thread it was at NE on Thursday for at least 4 hours. :( And here I was like a sucker repeatedly refreshing NE's page today for nothing... lol
When i saw it was in stock on the 30th , I could swear just before I checked and it wasnt,I think I was actualy pissed even more , because now I gotta order it ! (if I want it) then I couldnt actualy beleve I orderd it :eek: ($$) Should come with a couple of vikadin, instead of key chain.

centvalny said:
Same board w/out the blings :D

Yep, no POST LCD on the back, and all of the diagnostic buttons are missing, as well as the heatpipe configuration is different.

those are the parts I kinda like. hehe.. they're "extreme......" ly bling.. and apparently worth another hundy. :)

revenant said:
those are the parts I kinda like. hehe.. they're "extreme......" ly bling.. and apparently worth another hundy. :)

I actually like those features myself. Either board kicks ass though.

Surprising -- Well that solves that dilema -- all hail EVA and BFG 680i.

In one way it is a bit dissappointing, yet in another way I'm relieved that i wont ever be tempted to pay $400 for a mobo.

On that note, I'm not the least bit disappointed in my Evga 680i mobo that is coming in the mail. :D

I am glad to see this board not up to par with the 250 dollar EVGA. I was insulted when I seen the price of the Striker. 700 dollar Vid Cards now the 450 dollar MB. I am sure future revisions will help the board out but I still see no excuse to pay over 200 for a desktop board. I still waited on my purchase of a 680i to see the review. I wanted to make sure that my assumption was right. I took into account ASUS's track recored and I thought I would be the fool. Even talking with EVGA I was still wavering toward Asus coming out with a superior product. I am sure sales for the BFG and EVGA just went up from the people waiting for true reviews of this board.

l0x = New EVGA 680i owner.

FYI - it's possible [H] got an early engineering sample or something and it was just a dud.. others have reported better results with this board.. not stellar, but better (see quoted link).. it does not look like this will be the golden OC board for enthusiasts tho.. so let's see what abit, msi, and dfi come out with.. gah! I hate waiting.. lol.

revenant said:
for those who are interested, here's a nice mini review of the SE @ XS

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=124795

revenant said:
FYI - it's possible [H] got an early engineering sample or something and it was just a dud.. others have reported better results with this board.. not stellar, but better (see quoted link).. it does not look like this will be the golden OC board for enthusiasts tho.. so let's see what abit, msi, and dfi come out with.. gah! I hate waiting.. lol.

For a $400. motherboard, it should be beyond stellar.
"It should blow the freakin door down! and spit fireballs at yeah! :p
Hell, i'd get my money back. :eek:
Simply unacceptable! :mad:

Stoney said:
Hell, i'd get my money back. :eek:
Simply unacceptable! :mad:

Here! Hear!

Stoney said:
[snip]

and lighting should come out your ass!! ;)

revenant said:

Yeah, it is possible, but the fact is that ASUS did not replace the board whenever they think there even MIGHT be a hardware issue. Their handling of the situation, along with the fact that another reviewer outside of HardOCP, had the same limitations that we did, makes me confident of our evaluation of the Striker.

True.. you would think they'd do everything in their power to get you a good working sample.. not smart of them at all! oh well.. I didn't really want to shuck out 400 bones for a mobo anyways.. plus I still like my p5w dh a lot.. I wish it had dual 16x pci-e lanes and good SLI drivers for i975x. :) I wish I wish I wish.

Yes, but it's also entirely likely that the other reviewer had the same engineering sample you did - thus suffered from the same effects.

But either way, I agree with the general opinion that, whatever the current condition of the board is, over time it will get a lot better.

Back