Asus Transformer vs u230 Netbook Boot Time

Sly

Supreme [H]ardness
Just an observation

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpzNW7E1NLc

I've had it for a couple of months now and i noticed the tablet getting slower. It may be time to do a reset. Not looking forward to reinstalling all those apps and files.

Netbook is an MSI u230 Congo netbook, fully installed with development tools, web servers, and the rest of the usual crap. Boot up time, about 1m10s.

Tablet is an Asus Transformer w/ dock, unmodded, unrooted.

Both units still wakes up from sleep instantaneously. However, the number of times i've rebooted either one is about the same, so the boot time does get noticeable. It's not that i reboot the tablet often, it's just that i rarely do it on the netbook. I think the last time i rebooted the netbook was over a week ago... if you don't count the windows update this morning. Oddly enough, i feel like i've stared at the tablets loading screen more often. Probably because i had to hold it in front of my face each time.

Last edited:
Wow, is that normal for a stock Transformer? Windows 7 actually boots pretty fast if it's not loaded down with a lot of startup stuff, my S7S boots in 12 seconds.

It's a stock transformer after 2 months.

I've reset it. Bootup is now down to around 45 seconds. So it was probably one of the apps. And after removing facebook, ym, skype, air. The only TSR app left should be swiftkey (which isn't even executed unless you explicitly run it). Other than that, the remaining apps are games (which shouldn't be running on startup anyway), and reference books.

I'm gonna experiment a bit and see if i can narrow down which app is slowing it down.

Last edited:
I've had my TF since the summer and haven't run into this issue... Only time it gets sorta sluggish is when I've been browsing for hours and i've had 16 tabs open for over a day. The browser on HC seems pretty flaky in general tho, I've been meaning to try FF or something, HC's stock browser is less stable than my phone's GB browser.

Only other quirk I've noticed is that occasionally an app may force wifi to stay on even if you've got it set to turn off when the screen is off, resulting in lower standby time, putting it in airplane mode when you aren't gonna use it for a day or whatever is an effective workaround tho... You could also use Tasker or other apps to automate that.

Boot time has always been very quick and very consistent for me, tho I rarely turn it off entirely... Not sure why you would except maybe while traveling (and I'm more liekly to be playing on it or watching movies then). My EVO 3D takes far far longer to boot, but again, its rarely turned off.

Interesting. Every time I go into a Best Buy I'll play with the Android slates, got to finally spend some time with a Kindle Fire that wasn't in demo mode yesterday and the more I've played with them the less impressive they seem to me. The UIs are attractive and flashy but when actually using apps there's just a lot of lag and performance issues. The Transformer isn't bad but most of the cheap Android tablets, they are cheap for a reason. The Fire is less than impressive for web browsing.

Windows 7 may not be touch optimized and of course the good x86 Windows slates are very expensive ad don't get the battery life but the speed and stability on these good Windows tablets, it ain't bad. I have no problem turning off my Samsung Series 7 Slate, it cold boots in 12 seconds.

On the other hand, the iPad just flows. I'll give it to Apple, the iPad just feels so much more polished and refined than any Android slate I've tried.

Demo devices usually feel slower to me than my own... I honestly dunno what people do to those things or why they aren't reset daily. The iPad and iOS in general often feel like they're running a little smoother but obviously there's a reason for that...

Back