Asus Tuf 4090 - Artifacts in Control with MSAA enabled

loafer87gt

Limp Gawd
Hey guys! Finally got my 4090 installed and wow, what an upgrade from my old 3070!! Anyways, everything seems stable and runs great except for one game I've tried - Control. It doesn't matter if I have raytracing enabled or disabled, or have high or low settings, as soon as I enable DLSS or MSAA in this game I get these weird squares that float over my screen image. I would normally think these are artifacts, but everything other raytraced game (Cyberpunk, F1 2023, Diablo 4) all fun fine and artifact free. I also did a 10 minute Furmark test with the artifact scanner and there was no signs of issues. Could this be a game or driver related issue rather than a hardware one? I have even tried running the game in 640x480 at low details and I still get the weird cubes at those settings in which the GPU is only utilized about 5%. For reference, I am running the GamePass version of Control, on Windows 10 using the latest 552.22 drivers. Disabling MSAA or DLSS, I am able to run Control with everything maxed and all raytracing features enabled at just over 100 FPS with near 100% GPU load with no artifacts which leads me to believe it may be a software AA issue rather than a hardware one. Please put my mind at ease and tell me my card isn't pooched! Does anyone else have the Gamepass verion to test on their system?

Attachments

• Artifacts.jpg
    Artifacts.jpg
    222.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Your card is fine. It's obvious the issue is software based since it's just Control that exhibits this behavior.

I
Your card is fine. It's obvious the issue is software based since it's just Control that exhibits this behavior.
I just read through the Steam forums, and it seams that others are having visual glitches with MSAA or DLSS enabled when running DX12. The Gamepass option doesn't give an option which render to use, but maybe it defaults to DX12? Anyways, I'm not going to worry too much as it seems like others are having a number of problems with visuals glitches with the Ultimate edition.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/8707...049513782745323&include_deleted=1&q=artifacts

look in the apps list for repair in the advanced options. or just dont uses those, dont really need them.
I tried installing the Epic Store version I owned as well, and it has the same issues. Strangely, if you run the game in DX11, the artifacts show as white boxes. Same thing, runs fine with MSAA or DLSS off, but glitches with these features enabled. As everything else seems to be running great, I'm going to right it off as a driver or software glitch. I saw that several users were having visually identical artifacts with Flight Simulator using the 500 series Nvidia drivers, and the fix for that was to revert to an earlier driver or use Inspector to disable TILED_CACHE for the application. There's a whole thread about the issue here. I'm going to just keep an eye for any artifacts appearing in other apps, otherwise I'm not going to lose much sleep about it. Thanks for all of your help!

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/strange-artifacts-post-su5/426969/94

Back