ASUS VW266H 25.5" 1920x1200, 2ms LCD Monitor - $249.99 shipped ar

THANK YOU

You should know that ALL HD is 1080 and the way of 1200 is DEAD by this time next year. Wake up people. Everything new is geared for the 1080. :D

Ignorance is not bliss. :eek:

Granted that there is nothing wrong with that 25.5" Asus. But for gaming, I'll live with the better reviewed 276Q

You should know that ALL HD is 1080 and the way of 1200 is DEAD by this time next year. Wake up people. Everything new is geared for the 1080. :D

Granted that there is nothing wrong with that 25.5" Asus. But for gaming, I'll live with the better reviewed 276Q

It's been at least 3 years now that marketing depts have been drilling us with "1080 or die n00b". Maybe this will finally be the year *shrug*, but who cares when another 2-3 years from now they'll be damn insistent that I have a 3d display? :rolleyes: Besides, I like watching a DVD on my monitor and the onscreen controls overlay in the black area at the bottom vs covering up the picture. 1920x1200 has its advantages.

Acceptance isn't bliss either.

We wen't from CRT with a shit ton of resolutions to choose from. To actually use that high power video card you bought.

Now we have a million TV's sold as monitors. With the same resolution 23-28 inches at 1920x1080.

If you want higher res now you pay 1k. for "ultra pro sharp monitor". something that used to be just "standard".

So with acceptance and just buying what is "good enough".

We now have sub sub standards, but pay the same price.

Just placed my order in with Amazon today. Now, I just have to wait for 580's to be in stock to go SLI with this monitor.

Can't wait to get my hands on this monitor. I have been stuck on a Dell 21" for over 3 yrs now. Major upgrade for me.

Just placed my order in with Amazon today. Now, I just have to wait for 580's to be in stock to go SLI with this monitor.

Can't wait to get my hands on this monitor. I have been stuck on a Dell 21" for over 3 yrs now. Major upgrade for me.

What are you going to be playing that you need a pair of 580s for 1920x1200? Not knocking your upgrade path, but outside of wanting high framerates in Crysis with ultra eyecandy galore, that's complete vid card overkill for a single monitor at that resolution.

Err... unless I misunderstood and you're going for a 3 display setup? :D

I have two, plan to add a third some day...

Then I'll need SLI or Crossfire to play at 5760x1200 (or 3600x1920, haven't decided yet)

This has 2ms... you might notice a lot less "ghosting" when gaming and fast action movies. Some people will notice since your old benq has 16ms (6ms GTG) and this has 2ms. Most new monitors have 2ms since it's almost impossible to notice the ghosting.

The Asus has a much higher 20,000:1 contrast ratio also, while your benq only has 1000.

The picture will be noticeably better, not by a huge lot but noticeably "crisper"

I have two, plan to add a third some day...

Then I'll need SLI or Crossfire to play at 5760x1200 (or 3600x1920, haven't decided yet)

Holy hell I hate you! LOL, niceeeee setup. Post some pics in the "show off your rig" when you get that 5670x1200 setup.... that's INSANE.

I got my two for work. so 1280x800 1920x1200 x1920x1200.
May add an IPS 1920x1080 in portrait later on.

I've resorted to bringing in my own gear to make my desk more tech-oriented seeing as I'm in front of it all day.

I guess my question would be why would I buy this when I can get the Hanns-G monitor? No, I'm not trying to sell another brand, I would really like to know, as I HAVE a Hanns-G 27.5" and it has been sweet so far and it seems to have similar specs.

Because if it breaks or gets a few bad pixels, HannsG will never fix it. Asus has a much better, and longer warranty.

The HannsG will look completely washed out and ghost in games more compared to the newer, faster Asus.

Yeah, the Asus is a much better / more reliable / better warranty brand by far.... the quality will surely be much better.

I have the 22" version of this, while smaller its pretty much the same thing..... awesome monitor for this size and price

I got my two for work. so 1280x800 1920x1200 x1920x1200.
May add an IPS 1920x1080 in portrait later on.

I've resorted to bringing in my own gear to make my desk more tech-oriented seeing as I'm in front of it all day.

Better get some Kensington locks so no one can steal em hehehe

I am guessing that a 1920*1080 is better for watching movies and a 1920*1200 is better for gaming?

1920x1080 (16:9 aspect ratio) is an HDTV resolution.

1920x1200 (16:10) is the resolution commonly used with 24+" (and larger) computer monitors. It obviously has a bit more vertical resolution than 1920x1080, which can come in handy if you do a lot of work in MS Office or any Adobe application.

"Is one better than the other?" -- Not really, unless you need more screen space the 1920x1200 gives a little bit more window room.

1920x1200 is best for "normal" computer use. The higher pixel count allows you to cram more Office toolbars on your screen without cutting into the document area. 1920x1080 is the best resolution for a home theater PC driving a big screen TV--no horizontal black bars during movie playback (for 1.78:1 flicks, anyway).

I have no issues watching 1080p movies on my monitor (but then again I really don't care about the black bars on the top/bottom of the screen either)

Yeah Buddy, they are both good resolutions so don't get too far deep into thinking about it, heh. The 1920x1200 just gives you a little more room to work with

Bought one of these a few months ago for $300 as an upgrade from a Samsung 225BW. Loving it. Vertical viewing angles aren't the best, but how often do you move your head vertically? Horizontal viewing angles are very good. And I just love the extra real estate compared with the 22" screen I used to have.

If you want higher res now you pay 1k. for "ultra pro sharp monitor". something that used to be just "standard".

So with acceptance and just buying what is "good enough".

We now have sub sub standards, but pay the same price.

If you wanted a sharp picture at very high resolutions on a CRT, you had to get a pro model. Those cost a lot more than what you can get now. Consider a Dell 30" is around what, ~$1300 or so. How much did the GDM-FW900 cost? More than $2000 I think. And the Dell has about 50% more screen area

Last edited:
I am guessing that a 1920*1080 is better for watching movies and a 1920*1200 is better for gaming?

I think 1920x1080 is better for both movies and gaming. If you need more vertical pixels, then the 1200 is the better choice. But if you really need more vert, why go small? 2560x1600 is the way to go

I bit, and received the monitor yesterday. Coming from a 22-inch monitor to this is a very nice increase in real estate, but not overwhelming so. For the price / size / spec combination, I'm very pleased.

Next step after the 25.5" is the 30". Just wait, you guys will be itching for one real soon.

Indeed, that was the trap I fell into. I started off with a 28in HannsG that was on sale... of course I couldn't stop there, after many more monitor iterations I finally got in on the Dell 30in deal a few weeks back. I'm more than happy, but its sad how a 30in high res LCD costs as much as a 55-60in plasma. Oh well, I still got a great deal on it and have no regrets.

Indeed, that was the trap I fell into. I started off with a 28in HannsG that was on sale... of course I couldn't stop there, after many more monitor iterations I finally got in on the Dell 30in deal a few weeks back. I'm more than happy, but its sad how a 30in high res LCD costs as much as a 55-60in plasma. Oh well, I still got a great deal on it and have no regrets.

I have been eyeballing a projector for a multimedia screen. But the cheap ones under 500 run at such low resolutions that it will probably make the quality look bad. I've seen a few noname brand on amazon for $300 shipped with HDMI and all, but teh resolution is native to 800x600. I'm pretty sure it will suck for PC, but for xbox it's supposedly good. And yeah, 30" are crazy expensive for me so I must wait!

Ordered mine Monday. Got it Tuesday. On them now and both have no dead pixels.

Good stuff.

Ordered mine Monday. Got it Tuesday. On them now and both have no dead pixels.

Good stuff.

How do you like it? I ordered mine on Mon & should be delivered by today. Damn UPS for keeping me waiting.

Pretty good.
One is hooked up via laptop dock with vga. Blurry but if you adjust the phase it becomes bearable. The colors are pretty washed too. Other one is via a monoprice usb display adapter and it works great. Only caveat is that there is slight lag when moving windows and fast stuff but other than that, it's awesome.

Would I be taking a big hit going from a 22" Dell 2209wa IPS panel to this? I only have a 1680x1050 resolution right now which is kind of bothering me. Starting to want a little larger anda little more but dont really want to spend a fortune for IPS (I got this one on sale awhile back for $210 shipped).

Would I be taking a big hit going from a 22" Dell 2209wa IPS panel to this? I only have a 1680x1050 resolution right now which is kind of bothering me. Starting to want a little larger anda little more but dont really want to spend a fortune for IPS (I got this one on sale awhile back for $210 shipped).

If you are using it for normal computer use and not a display for art work, then yes this will give you muchhhhhh more desktop space and you will definitely notice the extra few inches. Your games will take a small hit in FPS since it will be running at a high resolution (unless you run games at lower res). It looks like your system won't take notice though since its fairly new and beefy :)

Yeah, not too worried about my system holding. 5850 is slightly faster than a stock 5870 right now :D Possibly upgrading to a GTX570 or 6970...

My wife does picture editing. How bad would it effect that? Nothing professional (not yet atleast). I guess I could keep this one and just run multiple screens too.

Unless she cares about full color reproduction and/or precise & identical color matching, I wouldn't worry. Like for home designing wall colors to precise accuracy and what not.

newegg.

i have the 2209wa at home and it's picture perfect. excellent as my portrait monitor. and yes, PQ is horrible compared to the 2209wa. but for work, i can live with it.

I just received the monitor today & the picture quality isn't as good as my old Dell. I'm starting to wonder if I should of gotten a 24" instead but 249 after MIR is cheap. I'll test out movies tomorrow once I get my HDMI cables.

Back