Asus X670-P WIFI can it do 3 nvme m2 raid? Or just 2 m2s?

jarablue

[H]ard|Gawd
Hi. I have the X670-P WIFI Asus board for my AMD 7900x cpu. Basically on the cpu it has 2 m2 slots and on the chipset, it hosts the third m2 slot.

What I wanted to know if I get three 4 TB nvme m2s, could I raid all three together in raid 0? Or will since the third m2 is hosted on the chipset and not the cpu, I'd be limited to the 2 on the cpu?

I am not sure how that works. I would love to raid three m2 drive in raid 0 but not sure if I can since it crosses cpu and chipset, the m2 slots.

Thanks guys!

It's only 2 drives supported for raid 0 on this board. Just read it in the manual. Ah well. All good. Thanks.

Don´t expect too much from the raid 0 config since one of your SSDs alone already saturates the chipsets pcie4 x4 connection to the cpu.
Nevermind all the other stuff, like usb and such sharing the same line.

pcie4 x4:
850 raid.JPG

1x 4Tb WD sn850x - connected to cpu on z790 board

z790 uses
pcie4 x8:
wd 850 1tb raid0.JPG

Now raid 0 starts to make sense:
2x 1Tb WD sn850 - raid through z790 chipset

This setup can beat a lot of the first gen pcie5 SSDs in 3 out of 4 tests.

This is the main drawback keeping me from switching to amd this gen.

Last edited:
Please post diskmark scores of the array when you get it running as I just picked a second 850X and considering building one as well on X670.

Wait a sec. How can a single gen 5 nvme saturate the bandwidth on the cpu for an x670. That seems not right and really junky. Is that true?

Don´t expect too much from the raid 0 config since one of your SSDs alone already saturates the chipsets pcie4 x4 connection to the cpu.
Nevermind all the other stuff, like usb and such sharing the same line.

pcie4 x4:
View attachment 605811
1x 4Tb WD sn850x - connected to cpu on z790 board

z790 uses
pcie4 x8:
View attachment 605812
Now raid 0 starts to make sense:
2x 1Tb WD sn850 - raid through z790 chipset

This setup can beat a lot of the first gen pcie5 SSDs in 3 out of 4 tests.

This is the main drawback keeping me from switching to amd this gen.

How can the bandwidth be that low? Is this right? Can't be.

pcie4 x4 = around 7GB/s
1697577873850.png

Wanna get real?

The Crystaldisk numbers-flex does not reflect the normal copy speeds using windows to transfer files

During normal use / without TRIM having been run for a while:
pcie4 x4 means you copy data around the installed SSDs with 1 GB/s average using windows copy
pcie4 x8 means you copy data around the installed SSDs with 2 GB/s average using windows copy

At least that´s true for my intel rigs using the built in windows tools to transfer files

Last edited:
Back