ASUS Z170-AR - Experiences?

Gnu314

Limp Gawd
I was planning on getting an ASRock Z170 Pro4 (Link) The board is currently $110 on New Egg.

My local Microcenter offers the Z170-AR as part of a "package" with the 6600k that I'm purchasing for a total of 359+tax. This brings the total of the AR down to around $140.

Does anyone have any experience with this version of the Asus lineup? I know it is a Z170-A with a few of the display ports removed. The reviews on the Z170-A were pretty good and I'd be comfortable with it if anyone can speak to this particular model. I'm leaning towards just spending the extra 30 dollars and getting the combo instead of ordering the two pieces separately.

Thanks in advance.

Just get the ASRock board at microcenter. 99% chance they have it and you get the bundle deal anyways. Z170-AR is fine, but the PCB is very brown which I don't like. IIRC the -AR has different video connectors on the board itself (unlike the last gen Z97 where the AR had a better looking color scheme on the board and heatsinks).

Thank you! I didn't know they did the package deals on other Mobos. Also I didn't realize the PCB was brown it looks black in the marketing photos. Really appreciate your insight.

Yeah they bundle pretty much any CPU/mobo combo. Just make sure you ask them if you're not sure on it (they won't bundle clearance or return items).

I checked the Z170-AR there before I got the Z170 Deluxe, and when it is in your hands the -AR is definitely very brown.

Back