Asus Z170 sabertooth build questions

kandor

Gawd
Hi,

I'm about to build 8 systems with the following specs, I would appreciate any comments:

MOBO: Asus Sabertooth Z170
CPU: i7-6700K
RAM: G.skill ripjaws V series 64gb (4x16) ddr4 3000 (* not positive on this, but there aren't tons of 4x16 kits around)
GPU: Quadro M4000
Corsair H100i cooler
HD Samsung 850 Pro 512gb
PSU Corsair AX860i
CASE: Corsair 330R mid tower

Pretty happy with the list, but I am worried about 2 things, clearance in the 330r for the H100i beside the sabertooth. And RAM, really wondering about the ram.

Thanks!

64GB at those speeds is likely not going ot be plug and play, if you can get it stable at all. If you really need that kind of memory density for work machines, you should be on a workstation platform using ECC memory.

Ok, thanks for the info - the board spec's say 64 is ok. What do you see as the issue?

"4 x DIMM, Max. 64GB, DDR4 2400/2133 MHz Non-ECC, Un-buffered Memory "

I think he is just pointing out that historically the x99 boards (Meant to say Z170 boards) have not been great at even getting lower density RAM to run at those higher speeds. If you do get it to run at 2133 with 64GB kit be happy, anything higher is a gift. Do not expect to just plug it in and have it boot up no issue.
Expect to manually set timings and voltages and have to figure out what will work best.

Last edited:
Ah, I see now, I don't need it to run at 3000, in fact I'm looking for a different 4x16 ddr4 kit. Also, it's a Z170 board I spec'd. Since it only has 4 ddr4 slots thats why I'm stuck using a 4x16 kit.

I will OC the cpu and then hopefully the 2133 wont affect the overall system too much.

Ah, I see now, I don't need it to run at 3000, in fact I'm looking for a different 4x16 ddr4 kit. Also, it's a Z170 board I spec'd. Since it only has 4 ddr4 slots thats why I'm stuck using a 4x16 kit.

I will OC the cpu and then hopefully the 2133 wont affect the overall system too much.

I meant z170 sorry, I have had so many issues with the 3000mhz kit on my ranger board that I would be more inclined to buy 2 separate 32gb Tridentz 3200mhz kits rather than any of the 3000mhz 64gb kits, but then not everyone has had my issues

The RAM I have runs solid at 2666mhz and one of the other [H] members managed to get his identical system solid with the new BIOS @ 3000mhz, but I was not so lucky and ity is only a 16gb kit

Thanks for the info, is the 32 gb kit 2x16? I really need to get 64gb on these systems.

Last edited:
I think he is just pointing out that historically the x99 boards (Meant to say Z170 boards) have not been great at even getting lower density RAM to run at those higher speeds. If you do get it to run at 2133 with 64GB kit be happy, anything higher is a gift. Do not expect to just plug it in and have it boot up no issue.
Expect to manually set timings and voltages and have to figure out what will work best.

Actually most of the Z170 motherboards I've worked with can get lower density modules to DDR4 3600MHz easily. The Sabertooth Z170 Mark 1 is the only board I've worked with that couldn't. At JEDEC speeds it should be plug and play. He may not have to touch the timings as ASUS is king of the automatic rules. It's using XMP timings that things fall apart. GIGABYTE, ASUS and MSI are all guilty of detecting XMP timings incorrectly with some brands or models being worse than others.

Hi,

My concern now with this motherboard is the ram. Even though it says it's 64gb capable, the qvl list in the manual shows no 4x16 kits as compatible. Strangeley it shows some 8x8 kits, but that must be a typo?!

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1151/SABERTOOTH_Z170_MARK1/E10672_SABERTOOTH_Z170_MARK1_UM_WEB.pdf

*Also, I'm trying to figure out if the memory voltage is 1.2 or 1.35 volts *edit, I see the qvl list kits at both voltages so I'm going to assume 1.35 dimms are ok.

1.35v is fine.

Back