ASUS Z87 Motherboards - Overview, Guides and Official Support

Thanks, I got it to work via BIOS, didn't try from the switch again but maybe it was just something at my end going wrong at the time.

Another question; how do I check that I've got the "new" C states enabled/disabled?

Not sure how ASUS can help with this. As Nodens and I both posted in that other thread Trim is working fine with the Z87 boards, other drives and Win8. Would probably be best to contact Corsair.

I did, but they responded that it was not their problem.
So again i'm stuck between companies pointing at each other..:mad:

Thanks, updated. They updated RST OROM which was nice of them..

Now, could someone advise how I can confirm if the new low C states are enabled or not?

Any changelog for the new 1405 bios release? (haven't installed the new bios, yet)

Another question... I have the Microsoft AHCI driver installed by default in Win 8 Pro. Will it improve my drive performances if I install Intel RST drivers (there is a new release at asus website).
Is there any precautions I need to take before installing the Intel RST drivers?

Any changelog for the new 1405 bios release? (haven't installed the new bios, yet)

Another question... I have the Microsoft AHCI driver installed by default in Win 8 Pro. Will it improve my drive performances if I install Intel RST drivers (there is a new release at asus website).
Is there any precautions I need to take before installing the Intel RST drivers?

I benchmarked AHCI and RST on mechanical hard drives under Windows 7 x64 and there is no performance difference. I decided not to use RST drivers.

I benchmarked AHCI and RST on mechanical hard drives under Windows 7 x64 and there is no performance difference. I decided not to use RST drivers.

Well, if it does not increase any performance then why install. Thanks for your answer.

Thanks, the PN they had ended in M0EAY0, from what I was told the C2 ends in M0EAY5.

I think this applied to every asus board.

Yeah, I went to Microcenter and they were still selling the old chipset mobos. I guess we still need to wait a bit for the C2 revisions to make it to retail. :(

I have suddenly come into a very peculiar problem or issue...

My system is connected to a UPS which gives me a approx 35 minutes of backup. When there is a power loss, the building generator comes up in 5 minutes, so I just use the UPS for 5 minutes.

Now, whenever the power goes and my ups comes into effect, the system goes into a sleep state and comes up again instantly where I left, like hibernate. The problem is I do a lot of DVD/Blu-ray writing and since this problem is at random I have made a lots of coasters (bad discs). When the system go into sleep state and comes up again the data stream is lost and the media fails to write.

Another, thing happened is when I was watching a movie and the power went off, and the system went into sleep state inspite of having a UPS backup.

Request members here to help me disable the sleep state when power goes or any other way to solve this. Is this a problem with the motherboard or am I missing a setting in the OS (Win 8 Pro).

I have disabled Hybrid Sleep, Hibernate, etc but the issue remains the same.

Last edited:
Is it recommended to have the lastest BIOS before overclocking the CPU? Before updating the BIOS, I should restore BIOS defaults and then flash through the BIOS with a FAT32-formatted USB drive then restore defaults again? I'm using BIOS 1007.

I have suddenly come into a very peculiar problem or issue...

My system is connected to a UPS which gives me a approx 35 minutes of backup. When there is a power loss, the building generator comes up in 5 minutes, so I just use the UPS for 5 minutes.

Now, whenever the power goes and my ups comes into effect, the system goes into a sleep state and comes up again instantly where I left, like hibernate.
~

If you're using software that came with the UPS and/or a USB connection from the UPS to the computer then either investigate software settings or simply remove the connection. Otherwise, there is no way the computer should be aware of an outage provided the UPS is working properly. You can always pull the plug to the UPS to simulate an outage while testing.

Is it recommended to have the lastest BIOS before overclocking the CPU? Before updating the BIOS, I should restore BIOS defaults and then flash through the BIOS with a FAT32-formatted USB drive then restore defaults again? I'm using BIOS 1007.

1. Write down any settings you won't remember
2. Perform BIOS flash
3. Customize settings and overclock

You don't need to reset to default before flashing, it will do that for you automatically.

I can't get Bluetooth to work anymore. I don't use it often, but it did work when I first built the system. I have it set to enable in the Bios, but when I go to load the driver it gives me an error: No Bluetooth device was detected.....

Last edited:
If you're using software that came with the UPS and/or a USB connection from the UPS to the computer then either investigate software settings or simply remove the connection. Otherwise, there is no way the computer should be aware of an outage provided the UPS is working properly. You can always pull the plug to the UPS to simulate an outage while testing.

Thanks a million for the hint. There is a USB connection from my UPS to the system and it is connected, but there was no software installed provided by APC. As there was no software installed, I downloaded the APC UPS software for my model and installed and viola.... it worked. There was no auto-restart and the system remained stable with A0 code (before it was 40 after the restart).

Probably, the UPS software has taken control of a particular setting which had to be done in Win 8, which I was missing. Yet, I'm thinking what would have been that setting, which enabled the system to do auto-restart after a power outage? If you or anyone else figure out what would be that setting, I request you to share it here.

Well, thanks again for this helpful tip, it has saved me a lot.

Any updates on this issue? Is it the firmware problem?

I've tried many ways which I found by googling but nothing works. Hope to see some better work around which really works.

Is it possible to re-flash the bios with the same 1205, if that helps?

No change. I would not worry about double-POST anyway - most of the time it happens because it is needed to happen, so it won't be "fixed" if that's the case. If you want to pursue it further I suggest you contact ASUS support.

Uh... finally the double-POST issue got solved.

Well, after the bios update from 1205 to 1405 there is no double POST issue. Maybe, this matter was reported and the HQ got it covered.

Thanks a lot, Raja for getting this sorted out.

I can't get Bluetooth to work anymore. I don't use it often, but it did work when I first built the system. I have it set to enable in the Bios, but when I go to load the driver it gives me an error: No Bluetooth device was detected.....

Just a very basic question... Have you checked the Windows Device Manager if its disabled overthere?

I just double checked, and it isn't there. The on-board wireless is still working.

This is surprising... Was it working before updating the bios to 1405, if yes, then I probably think that the update din't go well and that you should re-apply the update (overwrite), if possible. Maybe, this helps.

This is surprising... Was it working before updating the bios to 1405, if yes, then I probably think that the update din't go well and that you should re-apply the update (overwrite), if possible. Maybe, this helps.

I don't know if it was working before the update. I used it shortly after building this system, and just tried it again recently. I overwrote 1405 with no change. There is an Unknown device in Device manager that has this Device Status:

Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)

Under the Details tab it is listed as USB\DEVICE_DESCRIPTOR_FAILURE. At first I thought this was one of my USB drives, but after unplugging them all; the device is still listed.

Last edited:
I don't know if it was working before the update. I used it shortly after building this system, and just tried it again recently. I overwrote 1405 with no change. There is an Unknown device in Device manager that has this Device Status:

Under the Details tab it is listed as USB\DEVICE_DESCRIPTOR_FAILURE. At first I thought this was one of my USB drives, but after unplugging them all; the device is still listed.

Best way to figure out if this is causing that error, is to disable the bluetooth in the bios and check whether it shows the same error in the device manager in windows.

Best way to figure out if this is causing that error, is to disable the bluetooth in the bios and check whether it shows the same error in the device manager in windows.

The device disappeared after I disabled Bluetooth in the BIOS. After that I shut down the computer, and unplugged everything. After starting it back up and re-enabling Bluetooth it's now working partially. Everything seems normal, but I'm still having trouble transferring a file from my phone to the computer. Sending a file from the computer works fine though.

Thank you for the help saketb

Why does my board not remove the CPU Graphics information when iGPU is disabled (the area where it shows CPU/CACHE/RAM frequencies)?

There really should be a specific option to say "disable iGPU" but there isn't, the best you can do is disable the various other things.

I have a self-built PC with the Asus Z87 Pro, which had been working fine since it was built. This weekend though, for the first time, the PC was in sleep mode for 48 hours (normally it's in use every day). Pressing the power button did nothing. The PC appeared dead. I checked the motherboard and only the red power light was showing. Disconnected power supply, waited for a minute, reconnected, still nothing. By nothing I mean no fans, no status on the LED, nothing other than the red light showing the motherboard had power. After much pulling of cables, checking everything, in desperation I did a BIOS reset using the jumper. This WORKED - PC then booted just fine. The question is WHY? The PC was just sleeping, so it had power. I can't see this being a particularly common problem although a couple of others appear to have had similar symptoms. I know there are newer BIOS versions which I'll probably upgrade to, but I cant' readily see a full list of what's been fixed. Just looking for any suggestions as the PC is currently working. It's my sons PC as well, and he is a little young to be doing resets if this happens again and I do work away from home a lot!

The device disappeared after I disabled Bluetooth in the BIOS. After that I shut down the computer, and unplugged everything. After starting it back up and re-enabling Bluetooth it's now working partially. Everything seems normal, but I'm still having trouble transferring a file from my phone to the computer. Sending a file from the computer works fine though.

Thank you for the help saketb

After some additional troubleshooting, I found that going between W7 & W8 without completely disconnecting the power cord would result in the Bluetooth Device not being recognized in either OS. Anybody else dual booting, and having problems with the on board Bluetooth device?

After finally getting it to work consistently (Unplugging power) I was able to troubleshoot the problems with transferring files from my phone to the computer. In W7 Bluetooth stays connected as it should and I'm able to transfer. In W8 it will not stay connected to allow files to be sent to the computer. It will however connect and stay connected to allow files to be sent to the phone, but than immediately disconnect. I'm getting a new phone next week, I will see if that helps any in W8.

Last edited:
Check if any power saving settings are active for bluetooth and disable them. not sure that will cure the problems but it might I am assuming that you're using the latest UEFI and drivers currently.

My pro/thunderbolt only boots to bios and refuses to read anything other than the optical drive. This all occurred after replacing the PSU

I am wondering does ever Asus Grypton z87 mb got a new bios or not? why doesnot Grypton z87 mb has improve stability on the bios update?

I finally got Bluetooth working in Windows 8. This was a windows software problem and not a ASUS hardware problem. I'm not sure exactly what it was, but I followed a few threads on Microsoft Support to finally getting it working.

fsquirt & btmshellx were the key files:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2840181

http://www.eightforums.com/network-sharing/27319-cannot-receive-files-sent-bluetooth.html

Still not sure why I have to unplug the power from the motherboard to switch W7 & W8 to keep Bluetooth working.

I finally got Bluetooth working in Windows 8. This was a windows software problem and not a ASUS hardware problem. I'm not sure exactly what it was, but I followed a few threads on Microsoft Support to finally getting it working.

fsquirt & btmshellx were the key files:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2840181

http://www.eightforums.com/network-sharing/27319-cannot-receive-files-sent-bluetooth.html

Still not sure why I have to unplug the power from the motherboard to switch W7 & W8 to keep Bluetooth working.

The unplug situation resets the controller ICs. I doubt this happens on warm resets where the devices are already initialized. Must be something to do with how device IDs are handed over to the OS. Might be that switching OSes requires the controller be re-initialized.

Windows 8 and fast boot handle things differently than previous generations. Plus boards are now designed and UEFI coded to speed up POST time as much as possible. Your config likely falls outside the norm so you're walking into an anomaly.

My pro/thunderbolt only boots to bios and refuses to read anything other than the optical drive. This all occurred after replacing the PSU

Debug what could have gone wrong. Check cables, see which drives are inthe BOOT device list, change BOOT priority if need be etc.

I am wondering does ever Asus Grypton z87 mb got a new bios or not? why doesnot Grypton z87 mb has improve stability on the bios update?

If the board needs an update it will get one. If not, it won't.The TUF update cycle is slower due to more stringent validation, so any required updates are not always available at the same time as other boards.

Raja I have a question for you.
I noticed that the issue of Xeon support for the Z87-WS was mentioned and answered pretty fast on here.

I have a question about the Z87-WS as well, JJ mentions it has xeon and ecc memory support in every video he's in where he mentions the WS series (so the platform segmentation videos and the videos specifically on the WS series)

However it seems ECC is not supported on the Z87-WS since it's not in the specs, is this another oversight like the xeon support?

If I understand correctly it should be able to do ecc as long as it has a xeon CPU in it correct since the EDAC circuit is on the CPU?
If not is there any way to implement ECC support in a bios update for the board/do validation?

I'm assuming that ECC is intended to be a WS feature just like xeon support.

3Di6mxp.jpg

I noticed that the issue of Xeon support for the Z87-WS was mentioned and answered pretty fast on here.

I have a question about the Z87-WS as well, JJ mentions it has xeon and ecc memory support in every video he's in where he mentions the WS series (so the platform segmentation videos and the videos specifically on the WS series)

However it seems ECC is not supported on the Z87-WS since it's not in the specs, is this another oversight like the xeon support?

If I understand correctly it should be able to do ecc as long as it has a xeon CPU in it correct since the EDAC circuit is on the CPU?
If not is there any way to implement ECC support in a bios update for the board/do validation?

I will have to ask HQ about this. When I get a response will let you know.

Got an answer back from HQ, they are saying this is due to the Z87 chipset not allowing ECC support. The Xeon CPUs support ECC but the chipset does not. This is similar to some of the Vt-d stuff Intel locks out on Z87.

Last edited:
Got an answer back from HQ, they are saying this is due to the Z87 chipset not allowing ECC support. The Xeon CPUs support ECC but the chipset does not. This is similar to some of the Vt-d stuff Intel locks out on Z87.
Thanks for the fast answer, one more question.
If I use the mSata interface on the Z87-WS will it disable one of the normal sata ports?
I heard this is done on other boards and the sata port that will be disabled should be listed in the manual but I couldn't find that in the online pdf for the Z87-WS does this mean that all 10 sata ports as well as the msata can be used at the same time?

Thanks for the fast answer, one more question.
If I use the mSata interface on the Z87-WS will it disable one of the normal sata ports?
I heard this is done on other boards and the sata port that will be disabled should be listed in the manual but I couldn't find that in the online pdf for the Z87-WS does this mean that all 10 sata ports as well as the msata can be used at the same time?
If mSATA is used the Intel port #6 will be disabled.

What UEFI settings can be modified to get a fast boot into the OS? Noticed that above by default its not fast? If it can be made quicker... do tell!

Back